Profile Picture

iclone has a non standard implementation of time and frames?

Posted By cly3d 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

iclone has a non standard implementation of time and frames?

Author
ExclamationMark
cly3d
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm a bit baffled with iclone4s implementation of frames and time

the time counter at the bottom of the iclon4 main screen shows time increments of 99 before it goes to the next digit.

What kind of time setup is that? most animation programs have digits changing after 59 i.e 60.

Secondly the "frames" counter is not in sync with the message given at render time
for instance if i import a video clip to apply to a billboard object and I know for a fact that the video is say 1500 frames.... when I set the project length to 1500 frames, I either seem to end up with a shorter video clip shown mapped on the billboard,

or when hitting render, Iclone will give a wrong number of frames being rendered message.

Can the time / frame counter be more intuitive and follow the rules of typical 3d animation software?

The best way would be to give option to
a) Set up a project with preferred frame rate (15, 25, 30 etc)
b) Be able to specify project length in either number of absolute frames or time.
c) have the time counter show true readings in hour:minute:seconds:frames format

Would like to hear others thoughts
namunger
namunger
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
The time counter is in minutes:seconds:hundredths. I'm guessing they use that format because the rendering frame rate is variable in the export options.

The timeline is set at 60 fps (don't ask me why), so if you're importing a video that runs at 30fps, you need twice that open in the timeline. The frames rendered will depend on the framerate set in export options.

It takes an annoying bit of math sometimes, but all in all pretty manageable.

----

cly3d
ExclamationMark
cly3d
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for taking the time to at least clear this for me namunger. much appreciated!

It takes an annoying bit of math sometimes, but all in all pretty manageable.

And here in lies the problem. outside of the US and possibly Japan, the frame rate is usually 25 fps, and if your doing content for film or bluray, its 24fps.

So importing 30fps video on the 60fps iclone4 time line is easy, you just double the number of frames...

...where its a PITA, is when you have to do the same for 25 fps video, especially if the video has no easy way of identifying the end frame. 60 / 25 is 2.4 times.

As I mentioned, the most intuitive way forward would have/ should be...

1) have an option to define the project length as standard fps such as 15, 24, 25, 30, 60 etc..
2) Show time code as it shown the industry standard way
3) be able to set the duration by inputting EITHER as time OR as frames, and not just the what i'd call pseudo frames input option

I guess this thread belongs in the wish list section now :-)

Regards
Clyde

Reading This Topic