3DXchange and Sculptris

Posted By VlaamsMike 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
VlaamsMike
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I am thinking of buying 3DXchange and then using sculptris to paint on the exported iClone figures. I want to do this mainly beacuse using a normal paint program is just so difficult to get it right on clone cloth templates. I can never seem to get the front rear edges to meet and horizontal lines are always curved in iClone.

I have downloaded Sculptirs but I cannot import any of the existing .obj files I currently have (none of them from iClone by the way). It always complains about too many connections or too many triangles. It does this even on very simple objects.

Has anyone had any experience using iClone exported objs and painting them with Sculptris? Does it work? Is there any other free/cheap application like Sculptris for 3d painting that anyone is using for this?

Thanks

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
ya it works great ...but there are limitations, like if the file is too large , sculptris crashes, or if you over mod something on an avatar, such as making human ears into elephant ears, 3DX will reject it.

namunger
namunger
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I've never gotten iC and Sculptris to work nicely together, but I didn't invest too many hours trying, either. I just chalked it up to a "get what you pay for" problem and moved on!

As far as painting on the clone cloth in a paint program - I have found that I've gotten much better over time as I've played with it and come to a better understanding of how the UV corresponds to the actual model. Pretty much, if you use the guidelines on the cloth, and work very meticulously, you can eventually get things to line up. And this is coming from a guy with no ability in visual art whatsoever!

----

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

sculptris is actually a pretty hot modding tool, made by zbrush, i've tested about a good 90 percent of the modding tools out there , each one has their quirks , some are excessively complex, others are excessively simple. What happens is since iclone has certain limitations, even with the best program you can do so much, but on the same hand, without those limitations, then you would need a monster computer to run the huge files made by the other mod programs. If you want to buy a good modding program, my personal favorite for iclone was mudbox, but even mudbox had it's quirks with the UV settings.

I wouldn't be misled by sculptris being free though, I like it enough to buy it if they sold it for under 50 bucks ....for painting models though , my fav was mudbox

you could make pretty sophisticated models in sculptris then rig them in messiah and import them to iclone

Edited
13 Years Ago by planetstardragon
moogaloonie
moogaloonie
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
planetstardragon (9/14/2011)

you could make pretty sophisticated models in sculptris then rig them in messiah and import them to iclone

Wait... There's a way from Messiah to iClone? I have all three programs, I did not know there was any way to fit Messiah into my iClone pipeline!
Edited
13 Years Ago by moogaloonie
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
LOL! I have all bar iclone4PRO and 3Dxchange that does fbx
so can't say what works in iClone.
(standard and 2.02,but after I get iC5pro may upgrade 3Dxchange if I like it)
also have Carrara8pro which has 3Dpaint that rocks!
Meshmixer (which is free) is getting or has 3D paint already, haven't checked have older version but does similar things to Sculptris and you can cut up and join models.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

yeah, it does work, but it doesn't work with the base models that comes with messiah, you can only rig simple bones, but it's enough to work fine, I already rigged a snake and imported it into iclone!! \w00t/

vidi
vidi
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I already rigged a snake and imported it into iclone!!

with animation ?w00t The only reason to buy messiahs for me would be, to create my own rigging Setup interface , but without possibility animation export for me pointless.

for a base rigging with animation support, I have carrara 8 pro already, and this works fine.

....btw to the actual topic, in Carrara is 3D painting easy too Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

VlaamsMike
VlaamsMike
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)Veteran Member (762 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I have played some more with Sculptris and I can only import trivial objs. E.g. a cube with just 6 faces. The paint feature works great, also for bumps maps. You can save the texture as png or jpg but the bump map has to be tiff. Very strange. When I export the cube as an obj (without having changed the mesh) Sculptris crashes everytime.

The texture map looks OK on the cube but the bump map is not correct, one face has no bumps.

So, my conclusion so far is, Sculptris is not the tool for me. As for the other tools most look too expensive for my modest needs.

Reading This Topic