iclone character with maya

Posted By silpa.mulpuri 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
silpa.mulpuri
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago

When i gone through this attatchment http://developer.reallusion.com/whitepaper/Maya_Template/index.html i got a doubt that ----

How can i import the G3 iclone character into maya in a FBX format while the 3Dxchange was not supporting the FBX format.

Is there any other software used to import that G3 character into maya in FBX format.

Thanks,
Shilpa
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
iClone characters are typically not exportable to other applications.  The exception is you can export piece of a character as an OBJ for tweaking in other modeling/3d painting programs, but the iCLone characters are for iClone only.
vidi
vidi
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
sw00000p (8/18/2011)
silpa,

Use this to convert OBJ to FBX!

sw00000p

I think that makes no sense.
With obj to fbx convert , the bone are lost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
13 Years Ago by vidi
animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 27 minutes ago
According to the whitepaper, there is an iClone Standard Character included in the resource pack that comes with 3DXchange 4 Pro.  That character is in FBX format and that is the one to use (Character_Base_for_Maya.fbx).

I don't have Maya, but if you take that character as a basis, you should be able to modify it in Maya as instructed in the whitepaper, export as FBX, and then use 3dXchange to convert it back to an iClone standard character.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

tylerzambori
tylerzambori
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
animagic (8/18/2011)
According to the whitepaper, there is an iClone Standard Character included in the resource pack that comes with 3DXchange 4 Pro. That character is in FBX format and that is the one to use (Character_Base_for_Maya.fbx).

I don't haveMaya, but if you take that character as a basis, you should be able to modify it in Maya as instructed in the whitepaper, export as FBX, and then use 3dXchange to convert it back to an iClone standard character.

I'm confused. If you re-import the Iclone character in FBX format, back
into Iclone, then no matter what, it just became a non-human character, right?
So it cannot become an Iclone standard character, as I'm understanding it.
it can only become a non-human character, because it is fbx format, not vns format.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"I am not a senior anything."
vidi
vidi
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
You CAN'T export iClone BONES!

Yes, that's why it makes no sense, convert obj. to fbxBigGrin

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

sw00000p (8/19/2011)
animagic (8/18/2011)
you should be able to modify it in Maya as instructed in the whitepaper, export as FBX, and then use 3dXchange to convert it back to an iClone standard character.

3dXchange Exports, "STANDARD" Characters??????

If Maya exporter is Anything Like 3dsMax's exporter...
Why Would You Need 3dXchange To Export Maya Into iClone????

It doesn't use the Maya Exporter. It uses an FBX version of the STANDARD character suitable to be imported into Maya (available in the 3DX Pro resource pack), where it can be modified, and then exported from Maya again as FBX. 3DXchange only comes into play at this point, in order to convert the modified FBX file into an iClone character file. It's all in the whitepaper. I wished I had Maja so that I could prove to you that the procedure works. Maybe somebody could try?

tylerzambori
tylerzambori
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
animagic (8/19/2011)
sw00000p (8/19/2011)
animagic (8/18/2011)
you should be able to modify it in Maya as instructed in the whitepaper, export as FBX, and then use 3dXchange to convert it back to an iClone standard character.

3dXchange Exports, "STANDARD" Characters??????

If Maya exporter is Anything Like 3dsMax's exporter...
Why Would You Need 3dXchange To Export MayaInto iClone????

It doesn't use the Maya Exporter. It uses an FBX version of the STANDARD character suitable to be imported into Maya (available in the 3DX Pro resource pack), where it can be modified, and then exported from Maya again as FBX.3DXchange only comes into play at this point, in order to convert the modified FBX file into an iClone character file. It's all in the whitepaper. I wished I had Maja so that I could prove to you that the procedure works. Maybe somebody could try?

It becomes an Iclone "non-human" character, which cannot make use of all of the character animation tools.

"I am not a senior anything."
Edited
13 Years Ago by tylerzambori
animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

tylerzambori (8/19/2011)
animagic (8/18/2011)
According to the whitepaper, there is an iClone Standard Character included in the resource pack that comes with 3DXchange 4 Pro. That character is in FBX format and that is the one to use (Character_Base_for_Maya.fbx).

I don't haveMaya, but if you take that character as a basis, you should be able to modify it in Maya as instructed in the whitepaper, export as FBX, and then use 3dXchange to convert it back to an iClone standard character.

it can only become a non-human character, because it is fbx format, not vns format.

I imported the FBX file from the resource pack via 3DXchange into iClone and it stays a standard character. It only works for this particular FBX file, which you can modify in Maya. If you happen to have Maya, why not try it? Just take the file, import into Maya, export again as FBX, load into 3DXchange and export to iClone. In 3DXchange it should say Standard Character.

Apparently, the FBX file from the resource pack contains certain information that signifies it as a standard character and 3DXchange just converts that information. In contract, FBX files you get by exporting characters from, from example, DAZ don't have that information, so they will not be considered standard characters.

The way to look at this is that FBX is only an exchange format (XML actually), which allows any kind of data to be exchanged between applications, in theory at least. But, as each application has their own bone system and mesh configuration for characters, the receiving application may not know what to do with all the information that it receives.  

tyler zambori
tyler zambori
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (531 reputation)Veteran Member (531 reputation)Veteran Member (531 reputation)Veteran Member (531 reputation)Veteran Member (531 reputation)Veteran Member (531 reputation)Veteran Member (531 reputation)Veteran Member (531 reputation)Veteran Member (531 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
animagic (8/19/2011)
tylerzambori (8/19/2011)
animagic (8/18/2011)

I imported the FBX file from the resource pack via 3DXchange into iClone and it stays a standard character. It only works for this particular FBX file, which you can modify in Maya. If you happen to have Maya, why not try it? Just take the file, import into Maya, export again as FBX, load into 3DXchange and export to iClone. In 3DXchange it should say Standard Character.

Apparently, the FBX file from the resource pack contains certain information that signifies it as a standard character and 3DXchange just converts that information. In contract, FBX files you get by exporting characters from, from example,DAZ don't have that information, so they will not be considered standard characters.

The way to look at this is that FBX is only an exchange format (XML actually), which allows any kind of data to be exchanged between applications, in theory at least. But, aseach application has their own bone system and mesh configuration for characters, the receiving application may not know what to do with all the information that it receives.

Er, if I had maya, I'd be happily hooking it up with mach studio pro, thank you.

But I did discover that this character you're talking about apparently loads just fine
into carrara! I can see the bone structure "reflected on the walls." So maybe this
could be interesting - remains to be seen.

Thanks for the info!

Reading This Topic