Better handling of materials on high poly objects

Posted By Dreamcube017 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
So this request isn't as exciting as the other ones... but I have an object that's about 100,000 polygons... yes I onw it's high but it's the only thing in the scene. It's a logo that's kind of detailed.

It loads fine, but I've loaded a material with some pretty high quality textures and stuff and when I go to load it, the program hangs. This is kind of annoying and it'll be great if iC5 fixes this and supports much higher poly objects. Even though this is running in DirectX... it's not being rendered when the end user is seeing it, so it doesn't have to keep a fixed polyrate.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
peteradam6
peteradam6
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Are you getting it to iClone via an .fbx file? Try .obj instead. You'll get the textures in a folder. These can all be down-sized at once using Photoshop's automated scripts. Poser models will not only have high polygon counts, but often also have huge 4000px textures. If it's only a background building in iClone then the textures might go down as low as 512px, and you can shrink them further by setting tight .jpg compression in Photoshop. You can then re-apply the textures by hand to your .fbx (if you have it animated, etc).

| iClone 5 Pro | 3DXchange 4 Pro | popVideo Converter 2 | CrazyTalk 6 Pro | CrazyTalk Animator Pro |
Edited
13 Years Ago by peteradam6
Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Thanks, but I am using an obj file. I'm using the texture as a reflection map. The model was about 100,000 polies. I should've baked some of the detail into a normal map... but I don't have an exact pipeline for it so yeah. Thanks.

***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Unfortunately for iClone to retain its real time enviroment, poly count will always have to be taken into consideration. Lower poly does not have to mean poor quality. You only have to look at modern computer games to see that low poly models can look amazing with the right mapping and shading.

I think you will see good advances in this area with iClone5. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ok that's fine.

I guess the reason I mention it is because even though it is real time, the end user of the video won't be seeing it in real time. I understand that if we have a lower GFX card, it'll take it longer to proccess.

I guess what I'm asking is this. Is iClone limited only by the graphics card as for how well it can handle poly counts? Like if my GFX card has 2 gigs of video memory and other high specs, will iClone run fine with polycounts over 100,000 polies and 4,000 resolution texture maps? (i.e. not the software's fault things are going slow)

***BEST OF THE CORE**

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Reading This Topic