OBJ File Import Issue with Materials

Posted By Magique 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I exported some sets from DAZ Studio 4 to .obj format with an associated .mtl file. When I load the obj file into 3dxchange, the materials are all assigned properly to the various meshes, but the diffuse and bump map textures are not set. I checked the mtl file and the texture assignments are there and they point to valid files. Here is an example of a material from the material file:

newmtl frontwalls
d 1
Ns 0.746094
Ni 0
Ka 0 0 0
Kd 0.8 0.8 0.8
Ks 0.6 0.6 0.6
Km 0.0096
map_Kd "C:/Users/Tommy/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/Textures/Alphabase/KBABfrntwalls.jpg"
map_Bump "C:/Users/Tommy/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/Textures/Alphabase/KBABfrntwallsbump.jpg"

Is there something not right about the material definition that prevents the diffuse and bump maps from being assigned?

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
Try using the Collect Maps option in Daz Studio 4. This will place the textures in a folder called Maps in the same location as the obj itself. These should then open up in 3DXchange correctly.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (6/20/2011)
Try using the Collect Maps option in Daz Studio 4. This will place the textures in a folder called Maps in the same location as the obj itself. Theseshould then open up in 3DXchange correctly.

Hey, Peter, I don't think we've seen much practical interchange between Daz and iClone yet. Do you think this traffic will become hotter as technology advances?

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Paumanok West (6/20/2011)Hey, Peter, I don't think we've seen much practical interchange between Daz and iClone yet. Do you think this traffic will become hotter as technology advances?

Hi Pau

I don't really think the technology is the holdup. I think the only main drawback to using Daz3D models in iClone is the resolution. Daz tend to use very high poly models, especially for their avatars, which make them difficult to manage well in iClone due to its realtime environment.

The actual process of getting your Daz models into iClone is now a painless procedure for those with 3DXchange4. And although it requires an additional purchase, for those with a large library of Daz models, the Digimi Game Developer Kit can ovecome the resolution issues and open up a world of new content.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I was able to get all but one section of the Daz model pack into 3dxchange by exporting using the collect maps method. However, I experience issues with one particular model section that is really large. 3dxchange simply hangs with "Not Responding" and never errors out and never completes. I tried re-exporting the model, but same result. I've seen this sort of behavior before with large models. I also see issues when importing and using several large poly meshes in iClone itself. However, Daz Studio doesn't bat an eyelash when loading or displaying these meshes in real-time. This sort of thing is very troubling.

I will be looking into the Digimi Game Developer Kit from Daz to lower the poly counts, but I don't think 3dxchange or iClone should be hanging or crashing on these meshes. These issues should be looked into. I've experienced other stability issues with iClone that are bothersome.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

tscott (6/21/2011)
I was able to get all but one section of the Daz model pack into 3dxchange by exporting using the collect maps method. However, I experience issues with one particular model section that is really large. 3dxchange simply hangs with "Not Responding" and never errors out and never completes. I tried re-exporting the model, but same result. I've seen this sort of behavior before with large models. I also see issues when importing and using several large poly meshes in iClone itself. However, Daz Studio doesn't bat an eyelash when loading or displaying these meshes in real-time. This sort of thing is very troubling.

I will be looking into the Digimi Game Developer Kit from Daz to lower the poly counts, but I don't think 3dxchange or iClone should be hanging or crashing on these meshes. These issues should be looked into. I've experienced other stability issues with iClone that are bothersome.

Hi..

The problems you are experiencing with 3DXchange are almost certainly because you are trying to open a model which is very high in polygons. While this is frustrating it isn't really a fault with the software. The software recommends using models up to 30,000 polys.

iClone is designed to work in a real-time environment which means there have to be limits on the amount of polys in a scene. While having a more powerful PC will certainly help there still will be limits that when reached may cause crashing or hanging.

Now it would be quite possible to make iClone work with very high res models but this would be at the expense of the real-time environment. I really don't think anyone wants to lose the real-time element. That is what makes iClone stand out from the crowd in my personal opinion.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic