Question about exporting iClone props from 3DXchange

Posted By elijahleon81 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
elijahleon81
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (502 reputation)Veteran Member (502 reputation)Veteran Member (502 reputation)Veteran Member (502 reputation)Veteran Member (502 reputation)Veteran Member (502 reputation)Veteran Member (502 reputation)Veteran Member (502 reputation)Veteran Member (502 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello All,
First of all, I must say that I love iClone and 3DXChange!
(I bought the iClone Natural Builder Super Collection, and I'm very impressed!)
This is my first post and my first question is actually kind of complex...

I was wondering about the following:

I was so impressed with the Biosphere video demo, that I wanted to make a fly-through video of a terrain or garden area.

However, I wished to export my finished terrain or garden area as an .obj, and import it into either Unity 3D or the Blender Game Engine, to create a walk through game.

This is where I have my question. Is this breaking the rules of iClone/3DXChange?
I know the programs are meant to be used just for video creation, but could I use it for games as well? I know I would have to credit iClone and the content pack creators for their 3d assets in the game. This is what I really want to know before I start to do something illegal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Elijah
peteradam6
peteradam6
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
"I wished to export my finished terrain or garden area as an .obj, and import it into either Unity 3D or the Blender Game Engine, to create a walk through game."

You should be able to parent the props used, then save as a single prop. Then open that prop with 3DXchange 4 (might need the Pro version?) then simple use File / Export OBJ. Not sure that will work with the "live plants", though. They have some peculiar properties and I'm not sure if they can be parented?

I know the programs are meant to be used just for video creation, but could I use it for games as well?.

I can't speak for Reallusion on the licensing issue. But if it is possible to export the "live plants" then I would imagine that if the assets were only viewable while playing the walkthrough, than that might be ok. It's basically video. But there are ways of extracting models from the DirectX stream of a videogame as it plays (3D Ripper DX, and probably newer applications by now) and possibly Unity and Blender are vulnerable to that sort of capture.

However, bear in mind that in Unity or Blender the "swaying in the wind" effect that you get in iClone will likely be lost. Why not just do the garden fly-through in iClone?

| iClone 5 Pro | 3DXchange 4 Pro | popVideo Converter 2 | CrazyTalk 6 Pro | CrazyTalk Animator Pro |
Edited
13 Years Ago by peteradam6

Reading This Topic