Profile Picture

Getting a camera to glide down a path - how?

Posted By peteradam6 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
peteradam6
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I follow the "Camera on Path" instructions in the manual, and also tick "follow path" on the Modify/Path side panel. But my camera still goes absolutely nowhere and stays completely still... what am I doing wrong?

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/Help/iClone4/Std/08_Animation/Path/Camera_on_Path_and_Look_At_Target.htm

Camera on Path:

Now, we will be creating a path for the camera to move on.

Please add a camera first from the Stage/Camera modify panel.

Select the camera and pick a path to attach the camera to the path.

Drag the timeline slider to a new frame and set position value to 100.

Now the camera runs smoothly from the start to the end.

| iClone 5 Pro | 3DXchange 4 Pro | popVideo Converter 2 | CrazyTalk 6 Pro | CrazyTalk Animator Pro |
Edited
13 Years Ago by peteradam6
peteradam6
peteradam6
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

I see the problem, I think. The manual's instructions are very incomplete. Here's the additional instructions that are needed to get a camera flying down a path:

- Once you've placed (linked) the camera on the start of the path, you then need to switch to the preview camera, so that you can see the path-following camera you just placed.

- Move your timeline slider forward for the number of frames you want.

- Then right-click on the camera sitting at the start of the path, choose "Path/Pick Path", then select the end of the path. The camera will jump to the end of the path.

- Now shuttle back to the start of the timeline and play the timeline. The camera will fly down the path. Right-click on the camera and select "Motion Edit / Look At" to have the camera maintain a focus on a particular prop or character as it flies down the path.

| iClone 5 Pro | 3DXchange 4 Pro | popVideo Converter 2 | CrazyTalk 6 Pro | CrazyTalk Animator Pro |
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Peter

The original instructions do work but maybe could be explained better.

Try this:

1) Add an avatar to your new scene.

2) Zoom out so you are a good distance from your avatar.

3) Create a path gradually getting nearer to your avatar. Adjust height as required.

4) Add a new camera (it will be selected) and choose Pick Path.

5) Select the furthest point of your path from your avatar.

6) Use the Look At command and select your avatar.

7) Now at Frame 1 ensure that the Path Position for the camera on the Modify Panel is set at 0.

8) Move to Frame 300

9) Change the camera Path Position to 100 and press Return to set it.

10) Your camera should jump to the end of the path.

11) Now go back to Frame 1 and play the animation. The camera should now move towards the avatar.

Give this a go and see if it works for you. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

peteradam6
peteradam6
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Peter, that works. But you still omit the absolutely vital step that initially tripped me up. Your Step 4 needs to read...

4) Add a new camera (it will be selected), switch back to the Preview Camera so you can see the new camera you just added, and choose Pick Path.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

peteradam6 (4/14/2011)
Thanks Peter, that works. But you still omit the absolutely vital step that initially tripped me up. Your Step 4 needs to read...

4) Add a new camera (it will be selected), switch back to the Preview Camera so you can see the new camera you just added, and choose Pick Path.

Hi Peter

Sorry but I don't see why you need to switch to the Preview Camera at step 4??

When you add a Camera to your scene it is placed at the current position of the Preview Camera which in this case is zoomed right back as described previously.

You can then use Pick Path and your camera will switch to the first point on the path which gives you the view exactly as seen through the camera and is ideal for correct placement.

Why do you think it vital to switch back to the preview camera?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

peteradam6
peteradam6
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Because you need to be able to see the end point in order to pick it. By placing a new camera the viewport then sees through its lens, which may or may not have a view of the end-point of the path. In my case, it certainly didn't (just a view of some water, the path nowhere in sight - and the camera refusing to respond or move), and so I needed to switch back to the Preview camera in order to see the end point, and thus be able to select it.

Edited
13 Years Ago by peteradam6
stinkyu111
stinkyu111
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
i forgot about this one ..is was going to put in a suggestion about it. ( see bottom )

ok now back to the problem at hand...

if the path is in a place where the camera can't see it...then what do you do?

you have a few choices,

viewing through one camera 

1. select the preview box at the top right and add a camera, preview cameras can't move on a path or be animated,

2. so in camera 01 view, move the camera around to where you can see any part of the path ( not just the end ) and pick the path and the camera will snap to it.

3. then in the position window place 0.00 for the first keyframe.

4. then move the camera ( you can still rotate the camera even if you are snapped to the path) until you see the avatar and pick the look at target at the first keyframe as well. (what if you can't see your target at frame 1 and position 0.00 see method 2 )

5. then in the last keyframe set the position to 100.

6. hit play.

method 2 through the preview camera

1. add a new camera (camera 01) through the preview camera modify panel.

2. move the preview camera so you can see camera 01 and select it.

3. in the top right modify panel click off the selected cam option. ( now you are viewing through the preview camera but you have the camera 01 options.)

4. move the preview camera until you see the path. now pick path, the camera will snap it the path.

5. set the position to 0.00 at the first frame.

6. ( still on frame one) setting  look at... now if you don't see the target, move the preview around until you do see it. ( or select it on the scene manager's list and hit home, the preview camera will be moved for you ) and select the target ( because you still have the select cam option on you are telling camera 01 to look at the target )

7. move the timeline to the last keyframe and set the position to 100

8. hit play

..." my suggestion or wish list idea"

in the camera modify page where it said pick path have a drop down list of all the paths in the scene, like the timeline drop down list.

hope that helps

steve

Edited
13 Years Ago by stinkyu111
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

peteradam6 (4/15/2011)
Because you need to be able to see the end point in order to pick it. By placing a new camera the viewport then sees through its lens, which may or may not have a view of the end-point of the path. In my case, it certainly didn't (just a view of some water, the path nowhere in sight - and the camera refusing to respond or move), and so I needed to switch back to the Preview camera in order to see the end point, and thus be able to select it.

In your case maybe but not in my example as the end point is clearly visible because we zoomed back the preview camera so we could see all the path points. Obviouslyl it is an option to switch back to the preview camera but not vital in my example which is why I questioned it. Tongue

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

45thdiv
45thdiv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I thought I had the camera paths down, but after last night it was not working for me.  That was right before iClone6 crashed.

I am going to try again with a new scene.  I will have to delete the old file as it keeps crashing, so I think it is corrupted.

What I was trying to do was a smooth crane shot that is above the subject, then moves down to the left to be even with the front of the subject.  It is suppose to be a long smooth shot.  In my case I need to switch to the preview camera to be able to move and see the end place.  I will follow these steps above to help refresh my memory.

I feel a bit thick in the head for not remembering something I learned Tuesday evening.  I know I slept since then, but seriously????

I get about an hour to two a day to practice.  It makes it slow, but I am learning a lot.  (and forgetting a lot too. Blush

Matthew

PC stats:
Intel Core i7-5930K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost)

Windows 10
Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics, 8GB
Memory - 16GB Quad Channel  DDR4 at 2133MHz
DirectX - 12

256GB SSD 6Gb/s main HD + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Matthew, this is the iClone 4 forum.

I know the topic is relevant, but it may be better to post in the IClone 6 forum (https://forum.reallusion.com/Forum385-1.aspx), or people might miss your posts...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
9 Years Ago by animagic

Reading This Topic