Profile Picture

Reminder says Failed to load file. If this is a .vns file. swith to project page

Posted By djzpt 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Reminder says Failed to load file. If this is a .vns file. swith to...

Author
djzpt
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 Years Ago
I tried to open a project that I spent the last 3 hours working on and I recieved a "Reminder" window that says "Failed to load file. If this is a .vns file. swith to project page and try again". What does this mean?

I hope this isn't a bad thing.

Thank you for your help.

You know when you're spending too much time with iClone4 when you scream out its name when making love!

djzpt
djzpt
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

I Googled .vns and found:

"A file with the .vns file extension is known as a Visual Net server file. Visual Net is a program used to convert documents to XML or Extensible Markup Language, a universal system for preparing documents electronically for use on the internet. A number of files are associated with Visual Net, including .vns files".

Is iClone4 assessing the internet each time I open a project?

You know when you're spending too much time with iClone4 when you scream out its name when making love!

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 7 minutes ago
Hi..

Sorry to hear of your problems.

VNS is the old file extension that was used by previous versions for all iClone content. This has been replaced by new file extensions such as .iProject, .iMotion etc. Older VNS files can still be opened in iClone4 and is still an accepted file format. It has nothing to do with Visual Net Server files.

The error you are receiving is most likely caused because the project file has become corrupted in some way. It is vital when you are creating a lengthy project that you save incrementally as you proceed. This way if a project file becomes unusable you will be able able to drop back to a previous stage and not have to start from the beginning again. Sadly it sounds like you have not followed this process so there may be limited options open to you now.

If you haven't already I would try closing iClone, restarting your computer and then attempt to load the project again. This may be successful if the problem was related to a memory issue. Give that a try and see if it makes a difference. Good luck.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

djzpt
djzpt
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks, Peter,

What was so upsetting was that, having experienced losing files in the past, I saved and saved and saved this project over the three to four hour period of creating this project. And I still lost the project completely!

The only thing that I could think of is when I was saving my file, I always received a window asking if I wanted to overwrite the previously saved file with the same name. Not wanting to accumulate an over abundance of files, I clicked "yes". I should have just renamed the file each time and saved it; deleting the preciously saved files later.

rbetin
rbetin
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (331 reputation)Senior Member (331 reputation)Senior Member (331 reputation)Senior Member (331 reputation)Senior Member (331 reputation)Senior Member (331 reputation)Senior Member (331 reputation)Senior Member (331 reputation)Senior Member (331 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hello all

I have the same problem with a .iProject file,(106Mb size) on which I spend a lot of weeks, Each hour I save my file under a different name for versionning.

Now I cannot load the last version, perhaps this file is corrupted, but in fact I cannot load all previous versions, excepted the original version which dated 4 weeks ago.

I do not think that all intermediate versions are also corrupted, and I do not understand why iClone 5 says always "Failed to load the file. If this is a .vns file please switch to the project and try again" ?

On the other hand I can load other of my project with a 200Mb size with no problem, so is not a memory limitation.

I you have any idea thanks a lot, because now, I have lost all the work I spend on the project.

Roger
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
You could try dragging amd dropping it on from an open Window
I find this works for 3dxchange exports that give errors loaded from the menu.
(in my case that is usually iAvatars where I have exported and reimported altered mesh)
You can change the viewport to project file when you do it but may work with set selected too!

colour
colour
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
BTW - This is iC4 ForumWink

Try this, if you haven't already done it & if you've Saved your incremental Projects to iC5 Projects Template Folder.

1) Go to: iC5 Template / Project & Drag & Drop the Project from there.

2)  If they show as .vns & not .iProject, change the File name. This is a last resort.

3) I don't know if Deleting the Render File  would have any effect. Try it.

Probably best in the long-run to contact Reallusion Support.

Backing-up your Projects is advisable. If they won't Open, you can Copy individual Backed-Up Files to the Template Folder & Delete the Corrupted ones. I've done it, using Acronis TrueImage Backup Program.

r.betin (12/29/2011)
Hello all
I have the same problem with a .iProject file,(106Mb size) on which I spend a lot of weeks, Each hour I save my file under a different name for versionning.

Now I cannot load the last version, perhaps this file is corrupted, but in fact I cannot load all previous versions, excepted the original version which dated 4 weeks ago.

I do not think that all intermediate versions are also corrupted, and I do not understand why iClone 5 says always "Failed to load the file. If this is a .vns file please switch to the project and try again" ?

On the other hand I can load other of my project with a 200Mb size with no problem, so is not a memory limitation.

I you have any idea thanks a lot, because now, I have lost all the work I spend on the project.

Roger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

r.betin (12/29/2011)
Hello all

Roger

Hi Roger

One thing to ensure is that you have iClone5 updated to the latest version which is 5.02 (soon to be 5.1). If the problem still exists even with iClone5 updated to the latest build then please contact Technical Support using the link below. They will be able to help you with this issue.

http://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/User/QForm.aspx

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

CyBoRgTy
CyBoRgTy
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (699 reputation)Veteran Member (699 reputation)Veteran Member (699 reputation)Veteran Member (699 reputation)Veteran Member (699 reputation)Veteran Member (699 reputation)Veteran Member (699 reputation)Veteran Member (699 reputation)Veteran Member (699 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (12/29/2011)
r.betin (12/29/2011)
Hello all

Roger

Hi Roger

One thing to ensure is that you have iClone5 updated to the latest version which is 5.02 (soon to be 5.1). If the problem still exists even with iClone5 updated to the latest build then please contact Technical Support using the link below. They will be able to help you with this issue.

http://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/User/QForm.aspx

I'm new to iClone (but an advanced computer user, intermediate to advanced Maya and Carrara user) and purchased iClone 5 Pro within the past three weeks. Yesterday, I created an almost 2 minute animation and of course saved it. When I returned to render it, I discovered I could not open the project file. Same problem as stated above. My IClone 5 Pro is at 5.2.1618.1. I have 16 GB of memory on my i7 workstation with an NVidia 470 GTX graphics card. Oh, and if project file size is relevant, mine is 258 MB.

So, is my project file toast (currupted)? Is there any way to open it? I spend many hours working on it. I also found I'm having the same trouble with earlier test project files. I am SO DISAPPOINTED. Earlier in the day I raved about how surprised I was with the performance and capabilities of the realtime rendering viewport (I was even comparing it to Mya's viewport 2.0 and thought iClone's was more capable) and how I was definitely adding this to my workflow. But it appears I spoke too soon.

CyBoRgTy
http://www.youtube.com/user/cyborgty/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d55xyOPtAqs&list=UUbrvijuqAchqlzHyuvbOv1w&feature=plcp
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

tdechalus (6/22/2012)
I'm new to iClone (but an advanced computer user, intermediate to advanced Maya and Carrara user) and purchased iClone 5 Pro within the past three weeks. Yesterday, I created an almost 2 minute animation and of course saved it. When I returned to render it, I discovered I could not open the project file. Same problem as stated above. My IClone 5 Pro is at 5.2.1618.1. I have 16 GB of memory on my i7 workstation with an NVidia 470 GTX graphics card. Oh, and if project file size is relevant, mine is 258 MB.

So, is my project file toast (currupted)? Is there any way to open it? I spend many hours working on it. I also found I'm having the same trouble with earlier test project files. I am SO DISAPPOINTED. Earlier in the day I raved about how surprised I was with the performance and capabilities of the realtime rendering viewport (I was even comparing it to Mya's viewport 2.0 and thought iClone's was more capable) and how I was definitely adding this to my workflow. But it appears I spoke too soon.

Hi..

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your saved project.

The latest version is iClone 5.22.1820.1 so I would advise first updating your copy of iClone5 to this latest version. You may then find your saved project will open now.

You can get this latest update from your Member Account under Bonus in your list of Registered Products. Please download and see if this resolves the problem.

https://www.reallusion.com/member/memberreg.aspx?lang=

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic