NEW Reallusion Statement on CTA Licensing Issue

Posted By Peter (RL) 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
You are allowed to install on two computers. So if you wish at some point to add CTA to another (3rd) computer it will require uninstalling/deactivating from one of the original two first.

You will be allowed to do this five times in total. As always make sure you are connected to the Internet when uninstalling CTA from a computer so you get the install credit back.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

qdai
qdai
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Will significant computer hardware upgrades (hard drive, processor, graphics card processor gpu) break the install? Or rather, should your software be uninstalled before hardware upgrades to the same computer? If so, what specific upgrades require uninstalling RL's software?

This is why I say that RL's 5 install/uninstall policy makes the software license temporary. If in January, I upgrade the processors on two computers that I have RL software on, that may use up 2 install/uninstalls. Then in June of the next year, if I upgrade/transfer to larger hard drives in the same computers, that may use up another 2 install/uninstalls. That leaves just one install/uninstall. After that, what?

Does upgrading RL's software reset your install/uninstall limits ( to 5 or higher)? For example, if I have 3 install/uninstalls left and RL comes out with version 10 of one of your applications... if I upgrade to version 10 from version 9, is my install/uninstall limit reset to 5. If so, this turns a perpetual license into a subscription license. If not, you're back to the temporary license.

I've been with some software for 7 years or longer. If Poser, for instance, had a 5 install/uninstall limit, I'd have reached it years ago.

Also, are you required to be online just to activate/deactivate the software. Or, must you be online to install, activate and deactivate the software?
Edited
13 Years Ago by qdai
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

qdai (1/28/2011)
Will significant computer hardware upgrades (hard drive, processor, graphics card processor gpu) break the install? Or rather, should your software be uninstalled before hardware upgrades to the same computer? If so, what specific upgrades require uninstalling RL's software?

It is only major upgrades that will affect your install count. This is normally a fresh install of the operating system or a hard drive format. If you plan of doing anything like that you should uninstall all Reallusion software first while connected to the Internet. This will credit back your install.

This is why I say that RL's 5 install/uninstall policy makes the software license temporary. If in January, I upgrade the processors on two computers that I have RL software on, that may use up 2 install/uninstalls. Then in June of the next year, if I upgrade/transfer to larger hard drives in the same computers, that may use up another 2 install/uninstalls. That leaves just one install/uninstall. After that, what?

If you change your hard drive and remove the old one then obviously you should uninstall any Reallusion software first to prevent losing your install credits. If you change things like processors, graphics cards or memory chips then that will not impact on the software that is installed.

Does upgrading RL's software reset your install/uninstall limits ( to 5 or higher)? For example, if I have 3 install/uninstalls left and RL comes out with version 10 of one of your applications... if I upgrade to version 10 from version 9, is my install/uninstall limit reset to 5. If so, this turns a perpetual license into a subscription license. If not, you're back to the temporary license.

I've been with some software for 7 years or longer. If Poser, for instance, had a 5 install/uninstall limit, I'd have reached it years ago.

Minor updates to the software does not affect your install count. When a major new version of a title is released you have a brand new serial number and license so you start off with a full install count.

It is important to remember that as long as you uninstall your software while connected to the Internet you will be given your install credit back. It is only times when uninstalling is impossible, like after an hard drive failure that you will use up one of the 5 install credits. As hard drive failures are not a regular occurence you would expect to go many years before using up your 5 installs. Even then contacting Reallusion Support will enable you to have your install count reset.

It really isn't the terrible situation you may think it is. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

That was how I understood it, but Peter further clarified it. I have been with RL for a while and never run into the limit.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

lizard3209
lizard3209
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
I'll agree that this statement moves in the right direction and that some compromises have been made. To that, I give Reallusion a thumbs up for listening to forum feedback. Still, for myself personally, I have had problems with my PC in the more recent months where I did not get the opportunity of an uninstall. I suppose I should feel happy that I am still able to use the software I have. But this limited installs and uninstalls I do not care for. I think there still could be a better way to control the use of the software without having adding complications and hassles to its customers.

I work closely with another software company that has employed the use of a system called Codemeter where a simple USB device containing the code exists as a key. A dongle if you will. Where the user does not choose to use the dongle, then internet verification is required where only the single license can be logged on at one time. Yet, I can install this software on 50 computers if I like. Only two can work at any time: the dongle and a internet connection.

However, I fully understand this is as far as RL will go and the fact that they at least budged says something. This EULA still leaves me with bitter thoughts and hope I don't end up a victim of its shortcomings. Until that time, I will continue to enjoy the quality products that I have purchased. I hope this affects as little of the consumers as possible and that good feelings are maintained all around. All the best.
ESRO2
ESRO2
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
AWESOME!! Thank you very much!!
deenice
deenice
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
This is Fantastic News - for a little time felt between a rock and a hard place. Thank you so much RL for being customer service driven - it speaks a lot about you. Now I can finally get my CTA work done on my laptop.

Deenice, the Digital Dynamo

Take Care and Happy New Years:
Denise "DeeNice" Rhodes
The Digital Dynamo
202-642-4636 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              202-642-4636      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting

Twitter: DigitalDynamo
Youtube: TheDigitalDynamo Channel
Facebook: DeeNice Rhodes
LinkedIn: DeeNice Rhodes
Meetup: HTC Mobile Phone Enthusiasts

schwabby
schwabby
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (512 reputation)Veteran Member (512 reputation)Veteran Member (512 reputation)Veteran Member (512 reputation)Veteran Member (512 reputation)Veteran Member (512 reputation)Veteran Member (512 reputation)Veteran Member (512 reputation)Veteran Member (512 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Thank you! As a Grad Student with an editing suite at home and a campus that is all MAC, I so appreciate your decision to allow the program to be installed on two computers. No worries now! I am a new CTA user but see great potential! Especially if I don't have to go into programs like after effects and 3DS Max to accomplish what I can in CTA so much easier.
Thank you again for understanding the real world!
spacetimeaces
spacetimeaces
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
OK so if I want to install this on my desktop and laptop (which i travel around with), then i can do so providing I don't have the program running on both at the same time? If so, how would you even know i was doing that?

I'm assuming that you are allowed to activate the software via a serial number twice before you would need to deactivate on one machine in order to install on a third?
I work from two locations and would not be overjoyed if i had to buy a license (how much is are they by the way? ..cant find any info on site) for each location.

I find the EULA agreements a tad confusing, so an explanation for dummies would be great.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

spacetimeaces (3/26/2013)
OK so if I want to install this on my desktop and laptop (which i travel around with), then i can do so providing I don't have the program running on both at the same time? If so, how would you even know i was doing that?

I'm assuming that you are allowed to activate the software via a serial number twice before you would need to deactivate on one machine in order to install on a third?
I work from two locations and would not be overjoyed if i had to buy a license (how much is are they by the way? ..cant find any info on site) for each location.

I find the EULA agreements a tad confusing, so an explanation for dummies would be great.

Your understanding is totally correct. Your license remains a single user license, but for the convenience of our customers we do allow installation on two different computers. You can then manage your activations/deactivations from your Member Account should you need to change computers.

If you require multiple licenses then you can find out about pricing from the link below.

http://www.reallusion.com/purchase_licensing.asp

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic