Face Tool Addition

Posted By JasonWynngard 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JasonWynngard
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Often I want to use faces of historical figures. Often the vintage photos show faces turned slightly to the side. The end result is unsatisfactory with the iClone face tool which requires a full frontal photo. It would be nice if iClone was able to "mirror" sides. I came close to buying a program that can do that but didn't because it required the use of DAZ's M3 or V4, and I've had enough grief with DAZ. That software's name is FaceShop 6. http://www.abalonellc.com/faceshop-photoshop-plugin1.html

Beyond its mirroring to allow unseen sides thus allowing a side photo to appear as a full frontal, i think iClone's current tool is fine. But it would be better if it has the mirroring capacity.

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
You can do the mirroring trick in any image editor.

I also came across a free online app that could mirror for you but I can't remember the name of it at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Dreamcube017 (1/17/2011)
You can do the mirroring trick in any image editor.

I also came across a free online app that could mirror for you but I can't remember the name of it at the moment.

I suspect we're talking about different things. I don't want just mirroring where you have two copies of the same image side by side or upside down to each other. I want the effect where in a photo of a slightly side turned face is made into a single picture in which the face is facing you frontally. Then I'd take that picture and using iClone's face tool place it on a character. from what I've seen with PS, yes it can mirror but what I want to do isn't the mirroring it does. But then again, I'm not a PS expert so have a heck of a lot to learn.

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 58 minutes ago
You can try selecting one half of the face (the visible side) in your image editor, copy it, paste it back, flip it and then line it up against the original. With careful positioning you can get a suitable image for creating a face this way.

*obviously won't work if the face is at too great an angle.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
I haven't tried this, but you might be able to do some slight corrections by mapping the image of the face on a plane in iClone, turning the plane and then exporting as image and using the result as face map.

EDIT: I played a bit with that idea, but I don't think it would work very well. If you could reshape the actual plane it might.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
13 Years Ago by animagic
JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Peter (RL) (1/17/2011)
You can try selecting one half of the face (the visible side) in your image editor, copy it, paste it back, flip it and then line it up against the original. With careful positioning you can get a suitable image for creating a face this way.

*obviously won't work if the face is at too great an angle.

I may try this. May? Well, what happened is I came across some software no longer available that can actually auto mirror faces exactly as I'm asking about here. It was called FaceShop 4 for Photoshop. No longer available. BUT I stumbled on someone who had a never used and never opened copy. But once again thanks a million for the advice here.

martok2112
martok2112
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)

When dealing with faces that are slightly angled off in a photo (slightly left, right, up or down) there is a stage in the face grafting process in iClone that will allow you to make some adjustments.

In the second or third (or maybe fourth) stage of the face mapping process, you will see a wireframe "mask" superimposed over the photo/image you are trying to map. You can adjust this mask to match the angle of the image. Now, this does not work well for images that are really way off angle, but it does work pretty well for slightly angled photos.

Afterward, you might have to use different "eyes" in iClone and put them on your character so they align properly. Adjust the whites of the eyes so they don't look so freakishly bright.

"Incompetence will always prevail so long as evil men stand by and do nothing."
-Martok2112

animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

JasonWynngard (1/19/2011)
I may try this. May? Well, what happened is I came across some software no longer available that can actually auto mirror faces exactly as I'm asking about here. It was called FaceShop 4 for Photoshop. No longer available. BUT I stumbled on someone who had a never used and never opened copy. But once again thanks a million for the advice here.

There still is a FaceShop program available (now at v6): http://www.abalonellc.com/faceshop-pro.html. Is that what you mean?

EDIT: Actually, I think I found what you mean at DAZ 3D: FaceShop for Photoshop (http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/faceshop-for-photoshop?item=5268&_m=d).

It turns out I had an old version of FaceShop Pro on another machine. Theoretically you should be able to load an iClone head as obj file and do your mapping. No luck thus far...

Edited
13 Years Ago by animagic
animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

OK, I didn't want to give up, so I experimented tonight with my very old version of FaceShop Pro (v 3.15 or so). After you load an image in FaceShop, you can choose what head to use: either the built-in Michael 3 or Victoria 4, or an .obj file. I already had an iClone head saved as obj file (using 3DXchange and Export Mesh), so that's what I used.

Matching an image with a 3D head is an elaborate process in FaceShop. First you help it determine the orientation of the face in the image which allows it to position the 3D head in the same way, after that you indicate where specific parts of the face are. The result is a 3D head with a texture. It does actually change the shape of the head to reflect the shape of the head in the image: in my case the head become fuller.

I exported the resulting head as object file and then used Replace Mesh in 3DXchange to place the new head on the character.  I the replaced the texture as well. This needed some additional work to get rid of the hair.

Anyway, the point was to find out if this worked, and it did. I don't know if this is a useful way to create a head. The newer version of FaceShap has additional features, such as aging, so it could serve as a poor man's FaceGen. And it is fun to experiment, of course.

Here is the result of my eveing of fun:

Note that apart from cleaning up the texture, I did not do any adjusting of the face: this is how it came out.

JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Animagic, thank you for commenting on this. You caught exactly what I meant. Version 6EZ is more for DAZ and I don't think dos what I really want, the way I want it to. As I understand it, the version I'm expecting is specifically for Photoshop and quickly turns a side view head straight on. If I'm informed correctly, there is no TempMan but the actual face is turned. It seems they changed certain easy abilities in later versions of FaceShop when they integrated FaceAge. In any case, my copy arrives very soon so I'll know and it only cost me $30 and no shipping fee.

Reading This Topic