3DXchange and DAZ Clothing

Posted By JasonWynngard 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JasonWynngard
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Can DAZ clothing (sans the model) be exported to iClone via 3DXchange? Then used to dress iClone characters?

I've tried it a few times but can't dress the iClone models with the results.

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 27 minutes ago
The simple answer is no I'm afraid. Unless it is a basic item like a cape or cloak the clothing will not be able to conform to the avatar in iClone. To use the clothing you will need to have it attached to an avatar before you open it in 3DXchange4 and then export it as a non-human character.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
You can make it a legit model with 3DS or Maya...

Why is it that the plugin from RL isn't for other programs? The least that could be done is to have the iClone bone structure ported into to Lightwave or blender. 3DS and Maya aren't all THAT great.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
Capemedia
Capemedia
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Film and Music Producer

Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Dreamcube017 (12/31/2010)
You can make it a legit model with 3DS or Maya...

Why is it that the plugin from RL isn't for other programs? The least that could be done is to have the iClone bone structure ported into to Lightwave or blender. 3DS and Maya aren't all THAT great.

Exclusivity - Only those with the software and knowledge seem to be the ones who can make content for iClone.  Which to me is sad as it seems those with the power charge for it.

Score Variations

Capemedia UK Limited's Website

JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Peter (RL) (12/30/2010)
The simple answer is no I'm afraid. Unless it is abasic item like a cape or cloak the clothing will not be able to conform to the avatar in iClone. To use the clothing you will need to have it attached to an avatar before you open it in 3DXchange4 and then export it as a non-human character.

I think I understand that. Some comments if I may, some which i previously shared with you. Maybe someone here has an answer to my dilemma so if you don't mind, here goes:

I must admit to severe disappointment in what seems to be increasing limited use I can make of iClone. I love the software to be frank but for my use it has limited clothing and models. Oddly enough, I can live with the limited models issue because I've learned enough to sort of adapt existing models to my use. But the clothing, I spent a lot on DAZ and Poser as they had ALL the stuff I wanted both model and clothing wise. BUT BUT BUT unlike iClone's generally customer friendly software, DAZ and Poser for me didn't work as advertised (those darn Runtime folders are a mess). I spent almost 3 months trying to get the stuff to work including all the accessories and characters I bought that fit my needs. Before basically saying the heck with them and removed Poser from my HD. DAZ stayed because I could at least use it to some degree. I purchased 3dXchange and actually learned enough to import and modify characters and accessories and props. BUT am now discovering I can't use certain things like clothing and animating the models. To do that I'd have to fight DAZ more instead of using iClone's superior (I think so anyway) and easy to use motions to make characters do what I want.

Very frustrating for one who expected to buy the software and proceed to actually get work done instead of jump over and crawl under obstacles. By work done I mean as an instructor I'm not into some huge filming project. Just basic stuff that allows me to use animation to teach specific lessons. Mostly on historical figures and events. My projects range from 20 seconds to 2 minutes in length depending on the material being taught. So I'm sure you grasp what I mean when I say it's frustrating being so limited. I got 3DXchange because it seemed it was the answer to the character and clothing dilemma I faced. I'm finding out such is not the case. It seems like I buy one thing and to get something out of it, I have to buy something else. Kind of like buying a Porsche but not being able to drive it because you have the buy the tires separately. Then finding it came without gas in the tank. So you get gas but find you must buy the gas cap key in order to put gas in the tank, then you can't drive it at night because it came without bulbs for the headlights, and it goes on and on.

Why did I buy iClone? well, I had bought CrazyTalk 5 (then later CT 6 and now CTA) and found it very useful and I was able to get work done as opposed to being stymied, right away. I became aware of iClone 4 and figured it would extend my ability to do what I do with CT. And it can because it's a marvelous piece of software. I did get a few small projects done. I loved the results as did my students, family, and friends who saw it. So let me say I'm pretty much sold on iClone, especially after the mess with Poser and DAZ, I'm sold. But these limitations I face are beginning to make me seriously consider forgetting about animating as part of my teaching supplementary tools.

Suggestions? Yes, a few:

1. Make 3dXchange able to export models into iClone that can be immediately animated with iClone's iMotion. This may be a pipe dream considering the variation of model sources.
2. A bit less attention on T & A wiggling and jiggling gals and a bit more focus on models targeted to teachers and other groups not very interested in Jasmine jigglers and Wanda wigglers. Same with the focus on dance motions.
3. In addition to all the PR about what 3DXchange can do, provide an info link on what it can't do. For example, I just learned here it can't take clothing accessories and place them in iClone. I have a pair of pants I modified form DAZ, got the color just right in 3DXchange only to find it's all for naught.
4. One of the great things about Reallusion software is it is despite my gripes above, very user friendly. Apparently it was even more friendly in earlier versions until certain features were dropped. Would be nice if those features were brought back.
5. Give iClone the ability to use digital photos to modify iCloth internally. I watched the tutorial on doing this with Photoshop over and over but never got it to work right. Problem was not being able to achieve the handles that allow you to overlay the iCloth. I'm sure I was doing something wrong but haven't figured it out, plus I've given up after many hours with it. maybe let iClone use a magic wand type tool to select upper and lower segments to apply to iCloth, fast and simple for marginal users like myself. just an idea.

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

These are good points.

iClone is a great piece of software that allows for a much more rapid production source... but there are some walls to be aware of.

Oh, another thing about 3DXchange is this, it doesn't take morph targets. What does that mean? That cute smile you made V4 make at the end of her perfect walk cycle?... GONE. That angry glare M4 makes after his awesome karate kick?... GONE. Any facial animations (unless done with actual bones in the character) are ignored by 3DX.

All that being said, even though you can't animate with the iClone motions, you can use a DAZ Studio plugin called aniMate or aniMate+ which has walk cycles in it. I think aniMate is free now and comes with Daz Studio 3. It works kinda like iClone's timeline, so you can do all your animations in there.

Just export you iClone set into there as an OBJ if you need referance to the actual scene. I know it's an extra step, but it's something that'll have to be done at the moment.

As for DAZ clothing on iClone characters... you CAN do it, but you will have to take that part of the iClone character out, bring it into a modeling program with the clothing you want to use and then make the clothing fit around the caracter. This means fixing poke through and stuff.

***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Edited
13 Years Ago by Dreamcube017
JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Dreamcube017 -- Thanks for your input. I'm aware of DAZ's animate as I purchased the DAZ 3D Studio Advanced version. It has aniMate Lite. My use requires more than just walk cycles which is yet another reason why I like iClone so much.

One hope I have is that in the VERY VERY VERY near future Reallusion will include the types of characters and clothing I've suggested previously to them.

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hm, can you make your own animblocks with animate Lite or not? I remember making some before. You can do your animations in there and then get the character out with all your animations that way.

The only real wall here is that you can't use facial animations unless you really need those.

Just do all the animation in DAZ and export it from there.

Also Animeeple I THINK can use DAZ characters and that has a LOT of animations for free.

If the only issue is iClone animations, there are other solutions such as animeeple, aniMate, making some of them yourself (for the simpler ones)... and um... hmm that's all I can think of at the moment, but give those a try.

***BEST OF THE CORE**

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Dreamcube017 (1/2/2011)
Hm, can you make your own animblocks with animate Lite or not? I remember making some before. You can do your animations in there and then get the character out with all your animations that way.

The only real wall here is that you can't use facial animations unless you really need those.

Just do all the animation in DAZ and export it from there.

Also Animeeple I THINK can use DAZ characters and that has a LOT of animations for free.

If the only issue is iClone animations, there are other solutions such as animeeple, aniMate, making some of them yourself (for the simpler ones)... and um... hmm that's all I can think of at the moment, but give those a try.

Trying to be brief due to limited time I have at the moment:

1. aniMate blocks etc., quite adamant that DAZ (and Poser) not get anymore of my money after all i went through with their clunky software.

2. In truth, my issue isn't animation, iClone has plenty of what I need for my intents. my real problem is the type of characters and clothing I need. To me that's the ONLY real limitation iClone has.

3. Will look into other stuff you mentioned but if I could get Photoshop to do what the tutorials show about modifying iCloth, I'd be off and running.

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ok.

I fully understand the confusion with runtimes. I don't see why the clothing and materials can't be better organized. All the Aiko stuff in an Aiko folder... all the V4 stuff in a SINGLE V4 folder... not a people then a poses then another one for clothing... it's nuts.

I just got 3D coat a bit ago and it works reat. (I prefer to paint my models in 3D, not with maps. If you have Photoshop CS4 though, you can imporrt the actual object.

So I woud try doing that as well.

But download a demo of 3D Coat and give it a try. It works very well and has a nice set of instructions for doing lots of things.

***BEST OF THE CORE**

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Reading This Topic