v ray

Posted By planetstardragon 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
is v ray for iclone something conceivable ?

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Weeeeellllll....

Hmm...

Hm, not a big fan of V-ray inparticular, but an external render engine in general?....

It... COULD work

But there would have to be a lot of things to take into consideration.

For example, lighting may behave slightly differently in that.

LuxRender is something that I think would be better.

Thsi way you could make all your animations and camera movements in iClone, and then export the animated geometry to Lux render. Now, all the lights would hve to be set up seperatly IN luxrender.

I say Luxrender instead of V-Ray because Lux Render is opensource and therefore more easily accessible.

If iClone used Python scripting, a script might be able to be made that could parse the project file and get the character geometry as well as the camera and object animations.... and the textures too, forgot about those.... oh and the shaders too. So shaders would have to be converted as well.

This post would be better suited in the wishful 3rd party software area of this part of the forum.

I'm the only one that posted something there... and I think it had to do wih this very topic.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

hrmm, thanks. I've been doing research on it all day, i did find out one cool thing in the process, apparently my new video card has an option of forcing ambient occlusion on some programs, experimenting with it now ... http://www.geforce.com/#/Optimize/Guides/ambient-occlusion

and I've been contemplating an image batch processing approach to possibly do more in depth lighting. for example corel painshop pro, does come with some cool plug ins, and it accepts some of the photoshop plug ins and does batch processing. So if I can get an interesting setting for one picture, I can , in theory, print the video out in image format , do a batch processing with corel then ( after doing a bunch of tutorials to figure out how to reassemble the images to be film lol ) I may be able to render unique sur-realistic footage.

I'm looking at the ray tracing for better quality, but what I really want is a unique look that looks real in a fantasy way not so much a real life way, although that would be kool too. looking at the different techniques and approaches. I like the V ray as well as the ton of other open source versions, they pretty much look the same actually... but now that I finally have iclone running smoothly in my machine, I sort of am thinking twice about asking to increase render time with ray tracing lol

Edited
14 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

A fantasy/real look huh?... like Avatar... or Final fantasy?

Not trying to pull attention away from iClone, but there are some engines that are closer to this look.

Are you into video or computer games much?

If you go download the Crysis demo, it comes with the level editor. All the materials aren't there, but you can get some cool effects and thigns, and the level editor's not limited at all. You can import objects into it. It has a lot of features.

On the non-real side, you can get something like Blender, make your stuff there, and then import it into Luxrender and give that a try too.

I'm buying Crysis 2 JUST for the level editor. It's a first person shooter game... but I'm not even into FPS games and I'm getting it. That editor is AMAZING!

All that being said, iClone's not too far behind. As I said in other posts, it's already got post proccessing effects. I'm sure the shadows and stuff will be improved in future versions.

***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I tried the modeling / environment route, but found it too time consuming , and for my shots I could get away with 2D backgrounds / pics ...in fact strangely enough I discovered I could achieve realism faster with picture backgrounds than fully modeled environments. Then use a Alfred Hitchcock style of filming , with camera angles and clever edits that leave part of the movie to the viewers imagination....( and less particle effects work for me lol ) so for example, I can take a JPG of a real bathroom, then only the characters and bathtub in 3D models, then do close ups and blurring the background.

what I am looking for is more of an effect / environment thing .... such as atmospheres / weather - Lighting - Video Filters and camera angles. ...most of which can be done in post production, every plug in / software I've looked at to achieve this costs thousands, but I can probably achieve something similar in a frame by frame / batch processing approach with a paint program for a fraction of the price.

I love Boris Valejo's work, it has that fantasy / real feel that I am aiming for
http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=1129

The sets in his pictures are very simple, but the colors and shading style he uses give the picture a gothic / surreal feel .

ps - yeah, im a big time gamer, I love RP / PVP strategy games myself, it's easy enough with my approach to just grab some screen caps with fraps than import the meshes. With some creative photoshopping you can dissect the image to give a faux 3D feel too. ( extract segment of the pics and layer them like in CTA )

Edited
Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Wheather and camera angle and atmosphere effects?

Hm, at first I thought you were talking about something like Vue... but th I wasn't sure.

Do you mean to make physical backgroudns with skies and things... or just like post effects like rain and wind particles, light shafts, motion blur, and photo filters, and color correction.

You have heard of Vue right? If environments for your backgrounds is what you're looking to create, then I'd suggest that. They have MANY purchasing options from 30 dollars to... well.. I'll just say UP. I think the highest consumer version is 600 dollars.

But hey, if real backgrounds work, why not keep using those?

And a color filter will help with the look you were going for.

***BEST OF THE CORE**

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

actually post effects - lighting ( which is why I liked the ray tracing idea ) Color filters / depth of field the Iclone HD system does a nice job, but it changes too much when I move the camera around.

I'm still new at this so I'm discovering new things regularly. In fact I'm probably finding techniques that aren't used by regular animators because I don't have formal training, so I'm just going out there and grabbing stuff / experimenting lol. Found some really neat tools in the process too!! ie - "debug mode" - the editor is buggy and crashes a lot but some of the effects it has are unique .....I use to do the same thing with music ..when I use to use the pc for making music, I had a massive arsenal of little known plug ins which gave me a very unique sound. Macs are more restrictive when it comes to this.

I know the ray tracing has a "look and feel" but after some research the process looks tedious and time consuming - which is why I started thinking photo editing since iclone has the option of printing frame by frame. with about 650 image per 20 seconds, I could just get the right lighting / feel on one pic then batch process everything else and reassemble ...this would attack the filters / coloring without the extra pipelining / prepping that is required to run sets through the 3D settings required by the ray tracing, I was hoping to find something that would do it to avi's but apparently thats not how it works!

I've seen the term Vue on a few products, is that anything like Terragen / bryce ? trying to do research on it now, it seems like a popular term many people use for their products. if you have a link, please share Smile

Thanks for your help btw, much appreciated, like I said ...I'm still new and there is sooo much to learn / discover it can actuallly impede on my creativity when I'm spending more time researching and learning software than just simply adjusting the lighting for the emotional feel I am looking for. Your time is appreciated!! Smile

pd - nvm just found it http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue6/

and they have a package in my price range - free!! lol I like this for backdrops, thank you!!

right now I'm contemplating picking up the corel painshop pro / video bundle, the video editor has some features other editors in its class do not have ....I have FCE as well, just want a simple art package on my pc ..and for 99 bucks you get a lot of cool fx toys in the corel bundle. Powerdirector was fun, but it crashes more than our economy lol

Edited
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

btw, here's the software I was telling you about- not sure if you heard of it ...."wax"

http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

it's a bit unstable ...at least for me it was, I'd have to try it with my new video card to see if it helps... but considering its free and the unique tricks you can do with it, I find it's worth having in my collection of 3D toys.

it also works with freeframe plug ins http://freeframe.sourceforge.net/ and http://www.virtualdub.org/virtualdub_filters.html which are open source.

Edited
Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ah I've heard of debug mode. It just totally failed on my machine.

I use Vegas to do things... the cheap 40 dollar version. xD

Yes Vue is a wonderful software... be warned, if you use the free version, you end up with a water mark on the bottom as well as some LOOOOOONG render times. The watermark can be easily removed with Photoshop CS5 though.

30 dollars will remove the watermark, plus right now they give you 20 dollars back in cornicopia bucks so you can use it to buy Vue content. I'm tempted to purchase SOME version of Vue 9 simply because of how wonderful the output is.

I wish I could put lots of money on the more complex version, but it just doesn't have a useful purpose in my pipeline right now.

But you can get Pioneer and test it out all you want.

***BEST OF THE CORE**

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

i downloaded the vue, looks hot , but also time consuming!! One thing i love about iclone is that i can do stuff super fast with stock items. I have some days that i just take old models and mod them with sculptris , then I have other days that I just drag drop and roll. Considering the massive amount of work I've taken upon myself to be an independent artist / label, I don't have the luxury of spending too much time on any one thing, considering i do everything from being an artist to web design administration and promotion - so stock stuff is important to me!

I'm surprised that debug mode - wax isn't working for you, it's running amazingly well with my new card, I actually can use the more complex effects in it now too!!!

Reading This Topic