Sculptris, 3DXchange and iClone

Posted By rontarrant 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rontarrant
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I've noticed that some people on this forum are using Scrulptris for reshaping heads, etc. I tried it and the heads always import back into 3DXchange in the wrong place (too low) leaving my poor characters looking very much like Jacob Marley's ghost.

Could some kind soul please give me an idea how to get the pivol point corrected in Sculptris so I can put the heads back where they belong?

- Ron T.

animagic
animagic
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
We will have start charging you! BigGrin

Import your character into 3DXchange and then select Face in the tree on the left. Click Export Mesh (I think that's what it says) and you will export the head as an obj. Open it in Sculptris and do your sculpting. Export to obj. In 3DXchange, click Replace Mesh and import the modified head. Works every time.

OK, but this is not what you asked... I use the default settings in Sculptris: it says "Don't resize" and "Face camera". Is there any way you could have changed position or size of the head within Sculptris?

Now what I found is that if you use Replace Mesh at a later time with a shorter version of the character for instance, very interesting things start happening; quite useful for halloween...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
14 Years Ago by animagic
rontarrant
rontarrant
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

animagic (10/7/2010)
We will have start charging you! BigGrin

I hope you have good rates. Smile Perhaps a package deal, too.

animagic (10/7/2010)
I use the default settings in Sculptris: it says "Don't resize" and "Face camera".

I thought those were information only, so I never bothered to click on them.

Thanks!

EDIT: I tried this and the mesh is still coming back into 3DXchange in the wrong place. To make sure I wasn't moving the mesh in Sculptris, I imported, then exported without doing any changes. Same result.

Perhaps it's the version of Sculptris. I have Alpha 5. Is this the same version you're using?

- Ron T.

Edited
14 Years Ago by RiViT
Sen
Sen
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi ,

I have alpha 5 , I have just test export head base , import in Alpha with the same default setting as animagic and export ( no touch ) . Reload into 3dxchange work fine .
Are you try to realign the face with reference model ? you can do this Tongue

CGTRADER

rontarrant
rontarrant
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I hate to say it, but I just gave up on Sculptris for changing body parts. I downloaded the demo version of Argile and I can get that to do it. I can make Anim8or do it as well. But Sculptris, no. I'm sure there is some setting that I changed somewhere without realizing it, but I can find nothing in the docs that shed any light. I thought maybe I had the world units set wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change them.

So I'm contenting myself with morphing the heads and bodies inside iClone and playing around with swapping out texture maps. The results aren't exactly what I had in mind, but as one of my profs in art college said, "Great art comes from learning how to create even when your hands are tied behind your back."

I'm having fun, so for now I'm just using Sculptris for things like cartoon hair. At least that can be done as a prop, scaled, etc. and just nailed onto the head. Smile

- Ron T.

Sen
Sen
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
try to reset setting option default by deleting the .dat in the root folder .

CGTRADER

rontarrant
rontarrant
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I fear it didn't work. I'm just going to work within iClone for now. Perhaps when I understand the software better, it'll come to me in a flash of insight.

Again, thanks everyone for helping.

- Ron T.

animagic
animagic
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

This is so weird because it seems to work for everyone else. What about uninstalling Sculptris, cleaning out any left-overs in the install directory, and reinstalling?

BTW, I enjoy using Argile; there was a special deal when I bought it.

rontarrant
rontarrant
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (10/8/2010)
This is so weird because it seems to work for everyone else.

Yup, I'm totally baffled. And it's not like I'm new to computers or even 3D software. In art school, I was one of three people allowed to create a program of study for myself and I did 3D animation, something that wasn't offered at the time. It was on an Amiga computer using Sculpt-Animate 4D, but it's not like the principles are all that different.

animagic (10/8/2010)
What about uninstalling Sculptris, cleaning out any left-overs in the install directory,and reinstalling?

What I've done this morning:
- uninstalled Sculptris (deleted it since there is no real installation)
- downloaded a fresh copy of the Sculptris zip file
- reinstalled it (meaning I copied it to its own folder in Program Files and set up a desktop icon)
- uninstalled 3DXchange
- scanned the registry to see if any settings for 3DXchange looked suspicious (none did)
- reset my nVidia 3D Settings to their defaults
- checked my version of DirectX (9.0c)
- reinstalled 3DXchange

After that was all done, I did another test:
- loaded Dylan into 3DXchange
- selected the Upper mesh
- exported it to OBJ format
- opened the OBJ in Scrulptris
- did some slight mods
- saved the OBJ
- used "Replace Mesh" to reload Upper

The result was still a displaced mesh. Please see the attached image.

Lower left: 3DXchange import results
Upper right: Sculptris import options
Lower right: Sculptris Options panel with the default settings
Lower middle: screenshot of DirectX settings

animagic (10/8/2010)
BTW, I enjoy using Argile; there was a special deal when I bought it.

I downloaded the demo of Argile and tried that as well, thinking that if I have to pay for a modeler to get one that does the job, what the heck. If I load an OBJ into Argile and save it without making any changes, no problem. As soon as I make any mods, though, I get similar results.

I loaded the 'before' (from 3DXchange) and 'after' (from Sculptris) meshes into anim8or and it's obvious there is a displacement. I tried fixing the displacement in anim8or, but there also seems to be a bit of scaling as well. I can tweak the 'fixed' mesh into more or less the right place, but when the mouth is lined up, the eyes are not. Having to correct both scaling and placement is far more than I'm willing to do.

I'm going to send a copy of all this to tech support as well. Maybe they've heard of this before.

Thanks for pitching in, animagic and Sen. I really appreciate your suggestions. When I hear back from tech support, I'll post the results and--hopefully--the fix.

- Ron T.

Attachments
sculptris_3dxchange_settings.jpg (223 views, 221.00 KB)
Edited
14 Years Ago by RiViT
animagic
animagic
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

So you see the same in Argile? That's beyond comprehension... Ermm

Looks like a tech support issue indeed, involving 3DXchange. I wonder, if you have a regular prop nicely centered and you export it as obj and then reimport, is it displaced as well?

Reading This Topic