challenge: portray a not-scary future

Posted By Paumanok West 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Paumanok West
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
OK folks, the results are in (in a manner of speaking) and they indicate that many of you like to use iClone for imagining the future. But which future?

Well, the futures coming out of iClone are predominantly:

- interstellar shoot-em-ups
- sword 'n sorceries set on alien worlds
- near-term dystopias

What you may not realize--because I did not realize--is that the world is actually issuing an urgent call for futures (in a manner of speaking). But none of the futures that have ever been produced in iClone are suitable.

Why? Because what we need most, and desperately, are positive visions of life after The Great Turning--civilization's Transition to a new way of life that is low-energy and sustainable. I quote from TransitionNetwork.Org:

"The challenge: The future can be a scary place. For many people, not being able to imagine a lower carbon world is a huge impediment to designing and realising it. Popular culture is filled with dark tales of apocalypse, and at the same time our local authorities plan, on our behalf, for a future that can never possibly come to pass. If our communities suffer from a similar collective failure of the imagination, Transition will be impossible."

I feel that these folks know what they are talking about, but they don't know about iClone--and you do. Is anybody interested in the challenge they have issued?

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
lennyrawles
lennyrawles
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Why no replies to this post? Anyway... here's mine.

I wholeheartedly agree with the need for more optimistic eyecandy as opposed to the gloomy, grime-laden stuff we typically like to make and see.

But the fact still remains - if faced with a list of every movie ever made and asked to choose one, I would choose the likes of Blade Runner and Terminator, and I dont know why.
Heck, even as a child I championed Star Wars over Star Trek because Star Wars was littered with objects from a "used future" as George Lucas puts it, as opposed to Star Trek's rather clinical style.

Like just about everyone else here, I'm also busy with "my big project", and i'm afraid it's also set in a grim kind of near future.

However, your challenge indeed does deserve to be called a challenge. And it does strike a chord with at least two of the other people in my head.

I'm looking forward to see what others have to say about this?

When life gets you down, animate it.

Reading This Topic