Profile Picture

Characters can't open mouth

Posted By kavise100 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
kavise100
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Hello,
I'm exporting characters from CC4, editing them in Blender and bringing them back to CC4 as CC_G3 Characters with the intent to animate in CC/iClone. So far I've only been using body animations on the characters. I just started working on facial animations/expressions and noticed that the characters can't open their mouths. It's seems like the jaw opens, but the lips will not part. I know that you loose some functionality when going from CC4 character to CC3 (like you can't use DHS material anymore), but not being able to open the mouth of the character seems like something that should work since it's necessary for any facial expression/animation, which is a large part of the reason to use the app.

The facial animation sliders that don't have to do with opening the mouth on my imported characters do work. It's just the poses/sliders that need the mouth to open (like jaw open) that don't work/open the lips. My typical export settings are:  Blender, mesh and expression sequence
I also tried exporting with “mouth open as morph” selected, but the results were the same. The only difference was Blender had a non-halting error on the import:

File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 4.0\4.0\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx\import_fbx.py", line 1103, in blen_read_animations
    min_animated_deform = min(deform_values)
ValueError: min() arg is an empty sequence

The error did not stop the import from working and I was able to do my usual edits, export from Blender, import back CC4 with no issues (other than that the mouth still would not open)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I'm not familiar with the facial editing/animation tools so maybe there is something simple I'm missing?

Blender version: 4
Character Creator version: 4.33
4u2ges
This post has been flagged as an answer
4u2ges
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Reapply respective face profile.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/865d8044-4145-4a5e-b927-2258.jpg

Edited
2 Months Ago by 4u2ges
kavise100
kavise100
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Thank you so much - that fixed it! - It even works on models where I did not choose "mouth open as morph" on export
update: It did work, but adding the profile data deleted the custom morphs that I added to the mesh in Blender. I was adding morphs in Blender for parts of the mesh - they would show up in "facial" sliders section CC4 (even though they were not on the face) but they worked. I will keep working on this, it feels like all the morphs should be able to work at the same time.. fixed it - when updating the profile I had to un-check the custom expression box - All good now
Edited
2 Months Ago by kavise100
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Great, I was about to tell that about custom morphs and you also may uncheck any other which you customized... but you already fixed it Smile

Reading This Topic