Content Plagiarism

Posted By KaiD 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Peter (RL)
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Colonel_Klink (4/3/2013)
I am just wonder how this works for say the duplication of work. For example developer "A" might create and publish a Huey helicopter and sell it on the store. Developer "B" might also create and publish a Huey helicopter and wants to sell it in the store as well. Has developer "B" committed plagiarism in duplicating the Huey even though he has created the mesh and textures himself? on the outside both models may look similar. Both developers may have even used the same 3 view drawings to produce the models.
Are accusations of plagiarism or copying going to be hurled at developer "B" for wanting to create and sell a similar item?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Developer B certainly wouldn't be committing plagiarism if he created all the content himself. You could have 100 different Huey helicopters for sale in the Marketplace as long as each seller created all the content themselves.

However it would be plagiarism if Developer B took Developer A's mesh or textures and used them for their model. Taking someone else's hard work and then making a few changes does not make the new model your own.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Colonel_Klink
Colonel_Klink
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Hi Peter.
That's how I've always understood that. Being in the model making game for a few years now I have see instances where a creator of a new model which was identical to another model maker's one get accused of plagiarism.

I always take a series of development screenshots when I create my models, and always suggest that this is a good way of proving that the model you create is indeed your own.

Cheers
Bob

See all my content in one place
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a5008f7f-0e1f-4504-bcf8-f262.png
Facebook Page: CWK3D Game and Film Content
Cancer Survivor - Retired Teacher - Geriatric Icloner still learning
Hardware: ZX80; Operating System- ZX80 Basic; CPU - ZX80 @ 3.25 MHz; Memory - 1KB; Hard Drive - N/A; Storage - Cassette; Monitor: Any old CRT TV

Reading This Topic