Profile Picture

Would be nice to harden the motion direction tool.

Posted By bad_character Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
bad_character
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I’m starting to become afraid to use this thing. Historically it’s crashed iClone more than any other option I can think of.

Last week in a scene I have, all of a sudden it had crazy large values in the rotation inputs. The character was still correctly in its original place, but any attempt to change those rotation values, manually or with the widget, and the guy just disappeared. I assume off into the depths of the scene. And then that was just the state of things, I had to deal with the motion another way.

And recently,, I’ve noticed it’s a pattern that when it causes a crash, recovery doesn’t work. On startup, it asks if you want to recover, you choose the file to write to, boom, it’s dead, no file is there. All you can do is start again and get no recovery option. In the past I’ve been lucky and it hasn’t cost me much, but I just lost an hour of work due to this darn tool.

I can’t be the only one that has issues with this tool? This one just happened after a completely fresh install. My machine is a Ryzen 9 7950X with 192GB of RAM, an RTX 4090, and a high end NVME. It’s not short of any resources, the current install is pristine, and the machine regularly runs a boat load of 3D programs and GPU based machine learning training/inference with no problems. Sometimes janky environment or blowing out the vram can crash iClone, but this is not one of those situations.
animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Do you mean the Motion Director? That has been working OK thus far. I have however major issues with the Motion Editor.

In general, there are major stability issues with iClone at the moment. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a reproduceable scenario to write up a case.

What you mention about huge values, I have seen that in the past (years ago), but that was then fixed. It would be bad if old bugs reemerged...Unsure

I wouldn't mind if RL would hold off on new features and would do a round of clean-up or hardening as you say. Like a FULL regression test of ALL functionality.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

gordryd
gordryd
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If you are referring to the ability to 'change direction' of a motion clip, then yes, I also have experienced major stability issues (unable to get this tool to successfully accomplish a simple course correction on a basic running motion).  I finally had to give up and accept the original course because iClone would crash every time I tried to use the tool.

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

Reading This Topic