Profile Picture

Can't import anything - SVG, PSD

Posted By Lokicat 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lokicat
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (116 reputation)Junior Member (116 reputation)Junior Member (116 reputation)Junior Member (116 reputation)Junior Member (116 reputation)Junior Member (116 reputation)Junior Member (116 reputation)Junior Member (116 reputation)Junior Member (116 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have the Affinity V2 problem but I still have V1 (designer) installed and used that for CA5.  I have CA5 Pipeline.
It will open Designer (I've tried with a SVG template and without using "New") and....nothing happens in CA5.
I've been using the supplied CA5 "Head" template as a test as it has all the objects and layers and with "New" I've just used a box object.
So I use Export in Designer - tried exporting as a PDS and SVG - and only the first layer with the first object opens in CA5.
I've tried using "Create Human" and "Prop" and I get nothing but the first layer in CA5 or nothing at all.
For reference, that is the "Cartoon_Animator_5_Vector_Pipeline_Resource\01. Templates\Affinity designer\Human\Head.afdesign" asset.
When I exported the "Head" to SVG I get an Error in CA5 - it says to use a PSD??
I read related forum posts and watched the Reallusion videos but the videos aren't much help as they are for AI and the steps aren't working anyway.
Any help is appreciated.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Hi...

Try starting a new project in CTA5 and then click the "Create Character" button from the left side toolbar.

Now click on Human Template (SVG) and Affinity should open with the SVG Template loaded. You can then repeat the same for Human Template (PSD).

Do the Templates open correctly when following the above steps?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Edited
2 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
Piotrastra
Piotrastra
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)

I experience a similar problem, so I'm not starting a new topic. I use Affinity Designer (I'm talking about version 1), and it works only as a PSD editor, just fine, (AD has a pixel "persona", so you can use it as a basic raster editor.) I bought CA 5 to be able to work with vectors, and was quite excited about it. To my disappointment, it doesn't sync correctly. When I open AD as an SVG editor, it looks as if it was syncing, but after pressing ctrl+s, AD asks me to save the file and has no effect on CA5. The icon of AD displays correctly in the CA5 top panel, but for now, I can't work with vectors. I tried with character template, the same story. Ctr+s doesn't change anything in CA5. Just the window prompting to save the file pops out. 
Famekrafts
Famekrafts
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Today I found a way to import animate files > illustrator to cta5.

I think your issues are not with SVG or PSD but with the way the layers in the software are named and how they are imported inside the CTA5.

I had a similar problem even when using illustrator. The only torso was getting imported, then I realized if the bone naming and layers naming are missing even a = : colon it will not work, everything needs to be named and linked correctly.

Check out tutorials on 2danimation101.com. I am learning through those tutorials which I got for free when I bought CTA5. Mark really helps, he even created a small video for me when I was stuck with illustrator. 

Here check this image, completely rigged in CTA5 and imported from Adobe Animate. Even though this is not perfect but I know how to smooth out the quirks.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/be9e1578-605e-44ff-b352-ec21.jpg

CTA5, Iclone 7, 3D Exchange Pro, Character Creator 3, Popcornfx plugin, Zbrush, Blender, Vue 2014, Adobe cc suite, Spriter
Homebuild Workstation (Pretty old now but still working great) Win 10, Intel i7 950, 24 GB RAM DDR3, Gigabyte x58a-ud7 motherboard, AMD R9 390 sapphire 8GB VRAM.
Official Website  Reallusion Store  

Piotrastra
Piotrastra
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)

The problem is that I CAN open Affinity file from CA5 level, but no changes I apply in Affinity Designer affect the content in CA5. Which means it synchronizes only one way. When I try to apply the changes the Affinity wants to save the file, and nothing happens in CA5.
The only method I found is to work with ansynchronized template, export affinity file as svg format and drag it to CA5. Then it opens, and I can export or save the content (e.g. a character). But I wish it worked the same way as raster editor in the previous version. I could update changes "on the go". I will keep searching for the solution. Maybe some settings in Af. Designer?

Famekrafts
Famekrafts
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Nope, Live updates do not work for now. They are working on it and will update it in upcoming versions.
So do not waste time here, export as SVG and drag and drop in cta5.
Instead, focus on the animation part.

CTA5, Iclone 7, 3D Exchange Pro, Character Creator 3, Popcornfx plugin, Zbrush, Blender, Vue 2014, Adobe cc suite, Spriter
Homebuild Workstation (Pretty old now but still working great) Win 10, Intel i7 950, 24 GB RAM DDR3, Gigabyte x58a-ud7 motherboard, AMD R9 390 sapphire 8GB VRAM.
Official Website  Reallusion Store  

shotymac
shotymac
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)

I know this topic is old, but for anyone else that may stumble across this. The issue is that when doing a save (ctrl + s or file > save) in AD, AD will simply save the file as a .afdesign file and not as a .svg so the original .svg is not actually updated. In order to get the sync working you have to use export instead by hitting ctrl + shift + alt + s and then export to the same directory where the open svg file is located.  This will overwrite the .svg file and this will then update inside of CTA 5 as expected.
Piotrastra
Piotrastra
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thank you for responding. I still can't make it work. I did  what you suggested. I opened the AD from CA5 level, and at this time it seems to work fine. The AD opens. Next I saved the AFFINITY file. Then exported the picture which I created as an svg to the same dicrectory. It doesn't sync anyway. Should it work automatically or I shoud do something else?

Bang! Bang! Bang!  -  this is the sound my head makes while hitting the keybord to let some frustration out ...
Edited
Last Year by Piotrastra

Reading This Topic