CA5: No more modification of CA characters in external editors

Posted By Scrooge 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

CA5: No more modification of CA characters in external editors

Author
Scrooge
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
It seems that CA5 does not allow users to transfer any of it’s standard characters to external editors (psd or svg) for further modification.
If that is true, then it’s a massive downgrade from CA4.

I would appreciate a reply from the staff about this topic.

Kind regards
Hartmut
KanoEder
KanoEder
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)

I think Reallusion will be hear your wishful.
CTA5 powerful features spring dynamic you can try it, and smart gallery will help you manage your content, they are work hard in this application.
I also think SVG workflow will be enhanced in the future patch, for now you can try to use illustrator make a standard character as SVG format then import to CTA5 that also achieves you want.

You can see this video https://youtu.be/wtnGNQNvxIM

And this https://youtu.be/9kS1C9UBInQ
Edited
2 Years Ago by KanoEder
Scrooge
Scrooge
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)Senior Member (254 reputation)

KanoEder,thank you for your reply. I have watched the videos and the new features are really fine. But using standard characters as a starting point to create modified characters in an external editor is an essential feature for many users. It would be very disappointing if this feature were not available any more. In fact users like me even expected an improvement: The ability to modify vector characters in a vector application. Kind regardsHartmut
keenan1960
keenan1960
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
That was my question, too.  I need someone to design a special character for me, or the ability to edit an existing character.  I need one created quickly and maybe some others but that's further done the road.
General Picture Animation
General Picture Animation
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
The ability to export characters to editors was available in the more expensive Pipeline version of CA4.
It follows that Reallusion will probably release a Pipeline version of CA5 in the future; then you can export.

Animating now to life itself --Walt Whitman 
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I don't think there will be a pipeline version for CTA5 as RL removes pipeline versions of programs from other programs.
However, even if such a thing happens, it was reported that when you qualify for CTA5, your programs and add-ons will be upgraded for free.
As I said, I still don't think there will be a pipeline version.
Because the comparison chart below is made according to the CTA5 and CTA4 pipeline versions.
So CTA5 already has pipeline version for psd files.
Since the program is new, I think some features will be added later.

https://www.reallusion.com/cartoon-animator/download.html#cta-versus-cta5

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/yepkoo
https://dev.epicgames.com/community/profile/bxvo/Yepkoo#learning

toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Scrooge (11/1/2022)
It seems that CA5 does not allow users to transfer any of it’s standard characters to external editors (psd or svg) for further modification.
If that is true, then it’s a massive downgrade from CA4.I would appreciate a reply from the staff about this topic.

Did you assign your external editor in preferences? If so, everything should work as in CTA4...

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Scrooge
Scrooge
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

toystorylab

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, in the meantime I figured out that external psd editing still works. Unfortunately external editing of vector characters in an svg editor is not implemented. Sylvia confirmed that to me.
Maybe it will be available in a future upgrade.

Kind regards
Hartmut
Jowin
Jowin
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (60 reputation)New Member (60 reputation)New Member (60 reputation)New Member (60 reputation)New Member (60 reputation)New Member (60 reputation)New Member (60 reputation)New Member (60 reputation)New Member (60 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'm very new to CTA and was just getting in to modifying existing characters using the round-trip export/import to PSD provided in CTA4, and was also excited with the prospect of being able to do this in CTA5, but with a vector based SVG round-trip workflow. So, like others here was disappointed to discover this does not work using SVG's. 
I don't know if this will help anyone as you all may already know this, but I did find there is a bonus pack for CTA 5 just like there was for CTA 4 and it does include a PSD pipeline resource (similar to CTA4), a Vector Pipeline Resource (this describes how to make SVG characters)  and a PDF and Google Slides instruction manual for how to use these resources.  Templates are included for Affinity Designer, CorelDraw, Illustrator. Looks like Inkscape and Photopea also have some support .  There are SVG samples for both the new Ariel and Johnny characters.   Its not a round-trip experience so I hope that will come in future but at least now I can try building my own custom SVG characters.
Best Wishes
ems_place
ems_place
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
The irony in this discussion is that the file we downloaded to install CTA5 was called CTA5_Pipeline _Enu which would suggest the obvious. I note
that when I purchased CTA4 in 2019 the file I downloaded was called CTA4_Pipeline_Enu.

I must admit I am a little annoyed about the situation as I like to create my own actors, the packages I purchased in CTA4 for head creation etc no longer work in CTA5.
I note that there is a package for an additional cost of $99.00 which I guess I might have to spend but I would have preferred to have known prior to purchasing CTA5.
I now believe that the move from CTA4 to 5 was probably not my best choice. 

Reading This Topic