Episode 4 - Dr. Who?

Posted By jeff.davies 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

The Adventure of Capt Sanchez  continues with Episode 4: Dr. Who? The Captain and crew work to fix Lt Chin's hand and get their ship's doctor back!

Made with iClone8, CC4, Blender 3.1 and Davinci Resolve 18.

This is my first, serious attempt at using Motion Director and Digital Soul in my animations and I'm very happy with the results! These new tools are not easy to master, but they are a powerful new tool in our toolbelts!

- Jeff
The Adventures of Capt Sanchez
Cybernautic Studios
Edited
2 Years Ago by jeff.davies
animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Nicely done.

The one thing I think could improve as some more head movements during dialogs. It feels a bit static especially in the beginning.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

wires
wires
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Nice work, but white text on dark background reads better:

The Adventure of Capt Sanchez  continues with Episode 4: Dr. Who? The Captain and crew work to fix Lt Chin's hand and get their ship's doctor back!

Made with iClone8, CC4, Blender 3.1 and Davinci Resolve 18.

This is my first, serious attempt at using Motion Director and Digital Soul in my animations and I'm very happy with the results! These new tools are not easy to master, but they are a powerful new tool in our toolbelts!

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

@animagic Agreed and thank you!
@tools I agree about the text. I just copied and pasted it in from Google drive and it kept the text color. I'll see if I can edit it.

- Jeff
Cybernautic Studios
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
It's cute.

The number one thing I'd fix is the lack of ambient sound.  It's very disconcerting to have just the voices "floating" and even the music would benefit from this.  Watch almost ANY TV or movie and you'll hear what I mean - there ought to be lots of background sound in nearly every scene.  It will definitely help tie your voices in and make it sound less like a radio show.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Great work Jeff!
In addition to what have been said, I'd suggest improving camera movements.
Think of it like there is a live operator behind any camera - can they move camera like that, even it is on a dolly?
Does not have to be Hollywood pro-level camera work, but the least you can do, is to select all camera keys and smooth them in Curve Editor in one shot.
It would be more eye pleasing.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (6/25/2022)
It's cute.

The number one thing I'd fix is the lack of ambient sound.  It's very disconcerting to have just the voices "floating" and even the music would benefit from this.  Watch almost ANY TV or movie and you'll hear what I mean - there ought to be lots of background sound in nearly every scene.  It will definitely help tie your voices in and make it sound less like a radio show.

Hi Kellytoons, if you don't mind my asking, what device are you using to view/listen to it? I have ambient sounds for almost the entire episode, but it listened using my noise canceling headphones, which could well be the critical difference. Also, I gave alot of music playing and I used the auto-ducking feature of DaVinci Resolve 18, but Gain, the effects may simply be too subtle depending on the device.
I wish I knew a sound engineer that could guide me on these issues. 

- Jeff
Cybernautic Studios
jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

4u2ges (6/25/2022)
Great work Jeff!
In addition to what have been said, I'd suggest improving camera movements.
Think of it like there is a live operator behind any camera - can they move camera like that, even it is on a dolly?
Does not have to be Hollywood pro-level camera work, but the least you can do, is to select all camera keys and smooth them in Curve Editor in one shot.
It would be more eye pleasing.

Thanks 4u2ges! I think one of the scenes you refer to is the first interior shot in the ship. I agree completely. The intro shot in the restraunt also needs work I'lldo better in the next one!.

- Jeff
Cybernautic Studios
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

jeff.davies (6/26/2022)

Hi Kellytoons, if you don't mind my asking, what device are you using to view/listen to it? I have ambient sounds for almost the entire episode, but it listened using my noise canceling headphones, which could well be the critical difference. Also, I gave alot of music playing and I used the auto-ducking feature of DaVinci Resolve 18, but Gain, the effects may simply be too subtle depending on the device.
I wish I knew a sound engineer that could guide me on these issues. 

I just listened on my studio audio system (I have a pro level audio setup here in my computer room).  But it's equivalent to any decent broadcast audio test (we used it for our Fox TV series work).

You do NOT want to use audio ducking - that's a huge problem and a "feature" that should never be there.  It's a lazy man's approach to mixed that only results in very artificial sound.  Again, you don't have to take my word for it - listen to ANY TV or movie and compare with the audio in yours and you'll see how off it is.  (But listen ONLY to the audio - too many people who aren't experienced try and mix audio by looking at the images.  You first need to hear ONLY the sound and not watch the visuals to get the mix right once you've laid all the tracks down).  Yours seems like a radio show, and a bad one at that.  Also - I'm not a huge fan of using headphones for the final mix.  People by and large are not going to listen to your audio that way and pros always use the "ears" test to see how it will play in Real Life.  Simple test for you right now - turn on your clip, listen with good speakers in a room where you can turn your face away from the screen - you will immediately know how wrong it is.

A sound engineer would, of course, fix these issues but most people can do it themselves.  Here's another trick - turn off the speech track and listen to just the ambient/music tracks.  They should mix perfectly BEFORE you lay the speech down.  Speech shouldn't suppress those tracks, not when correctly mixed (and it CERTAINLY shouldn't cause those tracks to duck down.  Shudder - that's SO wrong :>Wink.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Kellytoons Thanks for the tips! As you surmised, I did use audio ducking, thinking it was the right thing to do. I'll reconsider using it going forward. Smile

- Jeff
Cybernautic Studios

Reading This Topic