Profile Picture

Autosetup -> UE5 fail. Is it just me?

Posted By mybadstudios 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
mybadstudios
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I just spent a few hundred $ buying the peasant and Fantasy Playset Assassins assets along with some other assets from the market place. I then proceeded to create 18 characters and of those only 2 imported into UE5 properly and that was solely because they don't have any hair on their bodies.

What I found was that all hair from the various hair / beards / brows packs I bought all import either as transparent, partially transparent, with no transparency or solid white. Thus, do NOT have any kind of facial hair on your face or head. Good, let;s continue...

The Peasant clothes import into UE5 perfectly with 0 fuss! A+

Some of the other assets (like another assassin asset I bought) has transparent clothing because the material INSISTS on using the RGB channel for transparency rather than the A channel. Manually adjusting each of the materials to use the A channel for transparency fixes the material and the character looks okay. Great! B-

The Fantasy Playset Assassins complain about duplicate texture names, creates duplicate textures with new names and then shows me transparent clothing which I cannot fix because they are all instance materials of some massive and very intimidating master material.

I noticed that auto setup makes use of a material channel that is not supported by Lumin which is a weird thing for Auto Setup to do but for so many assets to make use of a master material that doesn't yield usable results... what's up with that? Using the RGB channel for transparency ??? Am I just very, very bad at using Auto Setup or is Auto Setup really really bad at what it's doing? I have already spent a few thousand $ on Reallusion's tools and now it is looking like there is no clear way from Character Creator to UE5 (let's not even MENTION the LITERALLY indescribably ugly results I got in Unity before I went to UE5! It was so bad that I deleted my entire Unity project).

What am I doing wrong? How can 100% of exported characters turn out utterly useless? Is there some undisclosed trick to using Auto Setup? Sad
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/48fd6d0d-7778-4bfa-8b2f-032d.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b407c6ab-bb63-4da8-b2c0-c76a.png
mybadstudios
mybadstudios
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)Senior Member (462 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Sending the characters to UE5 using Live Link transfers the materials 100% perfectly!
...or course the blueprint uses a node that has been deprecated in UE4.24 already so none of the animations play but that is a different problem

So live link transfers the materials perfectly and Auto Setup fails with every single one. Again, is it just very bad at what it does or am I very bad at using Auto Setup?

Notice the difference:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c89de88f-c833-4722-9bf8-e589.jpg
Edited
2 Years Ago by mybadstudios
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
There are no settings you can make in this plugin. It only allows you to import the character.

RL needs to develop these plugins. Especially the hair is really bad.
Bassline303 mentioned that RL is working on the UE plugin, but I have no idea how much development has been done.

I don't own these outfits, but I haven't had any problems with any of the outfits I transferred.

Hair transfers very poorly.
The character skin texture is also quite bad and the characters look like dolls.

However, some props are also very poorly conveyed.
For example, the prop I sent in red was showing as blue in UE Smile

Currently, it does not seem possible to get a good image when using these products with UE.
I'm just waiting for the new version of the plugins.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/yepkoo
https://dev.epicgames.com/community/profile/bxvo/Yepkoo#learning

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo

Reading This Topic