Network storage -- recommendations???

Posted By General Picture Animation 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Picture Animation
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I have a solid state drive for backups which uses my only USB port, but I feel I should also invest in network storage over WiFi.
What product is a great bang for the buck?
Are solid state drives more expensive than hard drives?

Animating now to life itself --Walt Whitman 
jlittle
This post has been flagged as an answer
jlittle
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yes, SSD's are typically more expensive than HD's.

Others I've known have not had much luck with those USB "backup" device units. They seem to die too frequently and then you loose the data.
I always opt for a Raid 1 (mirrored) system and having more than one destination for backups, usually local and cloud based.

I use Synology units and currently have two of them. They are not the cheapest but they work great and have many features.
They can also be used for many other applications at the same time.

I use a DS918 as a NAS with four (4) 4TB drives in a raid 1 (mirrored) configuration for a total of 8TB of storage and on my desktop have it as a mapped drive with my backup software automatically backing up to it directly. There are smaller cheaper units that only have two (2) drive slots (DS218, DS220+, etc.) and you can choose use raid or not depending upon the unit and your needs. I buy them diskless and add my own selection of hard drives.

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Jeff,

I just bought a Synology from B&H Photo -- 8Tb with 2 drives pre-installed.
I was pretty shocked to find that these NAS aren't available as WiFi appliances, but have to be plugged in to the router with ethernet.
WTF, this is 2022....

Mitch

PS didn't you produce a nice clip many years ago featuring a pioneer-era canoe?

Animating now to life itself --Walt Whitman 
animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

I agree that regular hard drives are still a good option for backups.

This topic reminds me that I really should update my backup schedules...Unsure

A while ago I went all out and also bought a Synology 918 and added four 14TB drives. The are configured as RAID 5, which gives 42TB of storage. That should last a while. But even something more modest is a good idea.

It's good to set up a nightly backup schedule. I use AOMEI back-upper. I don't keep a lot of versions as in some backup methods, just one. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

General Picture Animation (6/15/2022)
Jeff,

I just bought a Synology from B&H Photo -- 8Tb with 2 drives pre-installed.
I was pretty shocked to find that these NAS aren't available as WiFi appliances, but have to be plugged in to the router with ethernet.
WTF, this is 2022....

Mitch

PS didn't you produce a nice clip many years ago featuring a pioneer-era canoe?

You typed faster. Wink

Although wireless is reliable, it is not always, and NAS are aimed at professional environments. I have the NAS near my router so it is directly plugged is. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

jlittle
jlittle
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Unless you have state-of-the-art WiFi the best speeds are still accomplished by a wired connection and most NAS devices are usually plugged into a wired network and accessed via wire or wireless. Having it plugged into your router shouldn't be an issue since you don't need it nearby and it can be tucked away.

Jeff

PS I don't remember doing any clip with a canoe. Must be someone else your thinking of.

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

Reading This Topic