Pricing Discussion

Posted By planetstardragon 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
with the new pricing set up,  I was hoping to see what everyone else considers fair pricing.  I'm kind of stuck in the middle because I'm both a developer and consumer,  in both music and cg.   As a developer I do spend time and money buying and using the software to make content,  as a consumer / developer I do license art supplies such as live recording samples, blank models, etc.,  all with licenses that allow me to make new songs  and cg content etc.  It's like buying paint, textures, wood,  kits -  you get them raw, customize it and use it in your projects.  That said a lot of work goes into creating or customizing items for characters,  from faces,  to clothing, texturing...   I usually average the selling price to around 3-5 dollars   per part if used only in iclone - with the export markup as suggested by reallusion an additional 50%

now using the 3-5 dollar idea in da points,  ( which is basically considering the money and time I've spent to create / customize these items,  and using RL's pricing reference for their blank diy parts -  which avg 500 da points, non export - and as a consumer I always felt that was a fair price,  their textured versions cost more. )

hair - 500
face -  300
shirt - 500
pants/ skirt - 500
shoes - 500
( leaving out accessories - ie weapons, jewelry, badges, glasses etc )

so basic price so far would be 2300 da points -  now add the 50% export markup - 3450 points

and this is where it's confusing,  developer me can see how the price got there,  consumer me is looking at this final cost for one character.  as the consumer though,  I do consider how i can use the individual parts to create other characters,  so it makes me wonder if looking at it as 1 character makes it feel pricey while looking at it like a bundle with parts I can use to build other characters makes it reasonable -  but the starving artist that i've chosen to become makes me  wonder! lol

So I wanted to see how you guys felt about it. 

Edited
2 Years Ago by planetstardragon
animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Your question made me think about this. I used to give my things away and have now set a low price, so I'll never break even.

It's the old dilemma with electronic media: you create once and you (hope to) sell many times. Now is many 20, 50, or 100? 

So I think one way to approach this would be to determine how much time you spend creating the item and then set some hourly rate. 

Knowing what you need to make in order to break even combined with what you expect to sell would give you a base amount.

And then there is of course the psychology of the buyers that tells them $34.50 is quite expensive compared to what else is out there. Or they see that your product is really unique and special and just what they are looking for and they'll buy.

I've noticed that the prices of some of the "established" brands are quite high (including RL), which would hamper their sales I would think. For example, if digital clothing becomes more expensive than real clothing, then there is an issue...Tongue

Export (thus going outside the RL ecosystem) is a difficult one, because I can imagine developers not wanting that at any price. But is obligatory now. Adding 50% would make it more expensive for those that really just want to use things within iClone and therefor make your product less attractive.

Just some thoughts, no solution...Unsure

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

thank you for chiming in Job Smile

The hourly approach wouldn't work for me because the price would be a lot higher - I don't really sell as a "Developer" -  what I am is an artist that shares what he creates for himself....It's not like I've dedicated hours into making items fast strictly for developing -  I love to experiment and discover new techniques and beta softwares,  so a lot of time goes into learning new stuff ...and it wouldn't be fair to go hourly and add the time it took for me to learn the new stuff.  It doesn't make my items any less in quality -  but what may take 1 person who does an item for a living one day,  it will take me a week because I tried a new approach and software and eat that cost because I did it for myself and to become a better artist,   I just share whatever good came out of it,  and actually use sales to get more supplies -  like my recent super sized maps,  I made those because I wanted a large map to do fly overs -  spent days learning how the displacement stuff works,  crashed my computer a ton of times getting the right size big enough to be huge in iclone but small enough to not crash iclone,  then the time it took to figure out how to texture it was another adventure.  I sell it for 500 da points, ( 600 after mark up )  but the hourly behind that is way more than that though.

Roundtree
Roundtree
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
As with anything, saturation sets in, making competition more difficult. Thus, do what you can, while you can, with what you have. If you're good, people will notice. There are some very talented people out there marketing their wares.
If you can produce what people want, name your price. And as my former boss used to say, "Let her rip!"
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I was thinking more on this,  and my reference price for RL's blank models - the 500 da points seemed fair because it was re-usable to make more iclone characters,  with things like mixamo, daz, and make human characters I can get for free, once exported out of the Reallusion ecosystem,  the value of "individual" pants diminishes because now it's not as easily interchangeable as it would be in iclone or cc in software like UE

my conclusion so far is that it doesn't seem worth spending time on making characters for the shop when selling the parts individually seems more reasonably priced for making your own characters in the RL ecosystem.

Edited
2 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Colonel_Klink
Colonel_Klink
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
This new pricing model has bothered me right when first mentioned. Pricing should be left to the creator and not dictated by the store in which it is sold, within reason of course. As a creator I have kept the pricing at a level where an iClone user can afford, as we are not all in regular paid employment.
However with the new pricing structure, where the export price is inclusive, I'll be pricing my non Reallusion-content products in accordance to what I'd be selling them on external markets such as Gumroad, BlenderMarket, etc.
Because iClone 8 and CC4 are far beyond my financial reach I'm now turning my attention to prop and scene creation, which alleviates any worries about my new content not being compatible with those two products.

See all my content in one place
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a5008f7f-0e1f-4504-bcf8-f262.png
Facebook Page: CWK3D Game and Film Content
Cancer Survivor - Retired Teacher - Geriatric Icloner still learning
Hardware: ZX80; Operating System- ZX80 Basic; CPU - ZX80 @ 3.25 MHz; Memory - 1KB; Hard Drive - N/A; Storage - Cassette; Monitor: Any old CRT TV

Reading This Topic