Liive-link from iClone to Unreal Engine 4 struggles

Posted By argus1000 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
argus1000
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
I know the tutorials gurus make it sound easy to transfer a file from iClone to UE4. It used to be hard, before Live-Link, they say, when you had to do everything by hand with FBX. But I'm here to tell you it's not that easy even with Live-Link.

I'm new to Unreal Engine. I watched a lot of tutorials these last few months, but I only started experimenting this week. I've been working hours and hours trying to transfer a scene. I am trying to keep iClone's cameras and export only the animated character but using the Unreal Engine lighting. I find Unreal Engine a very counter-intuitive program, and complicated too. It is hard to learn. There is a million settings to get right for a simple animation to be transferred. Just synchronizing the cameras between iClone and Unreal Engine can be a daunting task.  

So I finally transferred a little scene, but I found out that I have to work a lot on the skin tones when it gets to Unreal Engine. A lot of things to do...The first shot is from iClone; the second shot if from Unreal Engine 4.

My latest movie THE GOLDEN MAN, and a few othershttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIl1EqVCKitZzLqaNnLK0BA
argus1000
argus1000
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I have a problem with the Live-link transfer from iClone to Unreal Engine 4. When it is transferred, the animation gets all jittery. It is unusable. This is not the first time I have this problem with an animation. The first file is from iClone; the second file is from Unreal Engine 4.

My latest movie THE GOLDEN MAN, and a few othershttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIl1EqVCKitZzLqaNnLK0BA
chris_20140126002335633
chris_20140126002335633
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I think I had the same issues as you're running into. The problem with Live Link is that UE4 records the output from iClone rather than transferring it. This means that it is very machine spec dependent. The jerkiness is probably due to "frames" being dropped as your kit struggles to keep up. 
If it's any help... I gave up with live link. The transfer is problematical and messy.
1) Export your characters from iClone including any animation (I didn't like the Live Link method as it lacks flexibility - just export an FBX and import it.)
2) Fix any transfer issues with textures.
3) Adjust animations in iClone and re-export/import.

This is a much quicker and tidier workflow than using Live Link.

Reading This Topic