Profile Picture

Unreal Live Link not sending vehicle physics (Wheels and Antennas)

Posted By LFA 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Unreal Live Link not sending vehicle physics (Wheels and Antennas)

Author
LFA
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Perhaps I am missing an important setting here. I animated a Humvee with physics toolbox and soft cloth using a basic terrain, and everything works correctly: mudflaps, antenna and vehicle suspension look correct. I baked the physics (rigid and cloth), and I was even able to export baked animation to Omniverse Machinima and Unreal. When using Live Link, the car moves around following the contour of a proxy terrain mesh, however, wheels are not moving in real-time. I've just noticed antennas are correct.

I cleaned up the physics assets and nothing seems to fix the issue. Links below:

Omniverse Machinima: physics works correctly with baked animation
(

Unreal 4: physics working correctly with baked animation
()

LL transfer vehicle physics not Working in real-time
().

Any help is highly appreciated.
Regards
Luciano
Edited
2 Years Ago by LFA
rosuckmedia
rosuckmedia
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Hi Luciano
I am sending Iclone 7 Car Sand Buggy(Antareus). to the UE via a Live Link.
I do the Animation in Iclone in the Bullet Engine via Live Link to UE.
Then add the Physics Dummies  in Iclone 7,for the Dynamic.
I send the Car to the Unreal Engine again.
The Car is then overwritten in the UE.
The animation with the Physics Engine,
then again via Iclone Live Link and the UE Sequenze Recorder.
The Robot is from UE.
Greetings rosuckmedia

Here is an Iclone 7 tutorial for  physics from Anatreus.
I hope it helps you a little further

LFA
LFA
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)

Hi Robert,
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I followed his other tutorial about setting up physics with Bullet Engine. Everything looks fine in physX engine, and I even managed to send baked animation to other applications. My trouble is that during a live link transfer, the overall trajectory and physics 'bumps' looks correct, but only the wheels are not moving at all. That is really unexpected.

Thank you for sharing this video, it is different from the one I saw before. There is better setup for suspension.
In your video, is the car animation happening in real-time transmission with Live link or is a pre-recorded, baked animation?

Do you know if there is any video tutorial for this?

Thank you
Luciano

Edited
2 Years Ago by LFA
rosuckmedia
rosuckmedia
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)

Hi Lucian
It's been a while since I've done this
Which UE version are you using?
Have you switched on the simulation for the live link transmission?
Try to render after that, then they would have to spin the wheels too.
If I still have time today, I'll try UE 4.26,
I will try again.
Greetings Robert
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Tick (Alt+S) while live linking to activate simulation in UE4.
LFA
LFA
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi, everyone,

Thanks for the heads up, but I tried various combinations of Alt+S, Alt+P, viewport editor, new project from scratch, simulate physics, new physics assets, UE4.26, UE4.27. Nothing. Just to remark that I am not talking about suspension physics. The problem is that wheels are not spinning at all, only in baked animation.

If you can point me at a step-by-step video, it would be highly appreciated.  I'm sure it is something I am missing in my setup. Perhaps I'll leave that way, given that I can use baked animations elsewhere, and I can use UE's native vehicle system to animate in real-time.

I appreciated your help anyways.
Best regards,
Luciano
rosuckmedia
rosuckmedia
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hello Lucian,
I made you a tutorial.
It's not perfect but it works.
A mixture of English and German.
My English is terrible
But it will definitely help you.
Simulating is not necessary in this tutorial.
It's my own approach.
I'll upload it now and PM you.
Greetings Robert😊
LFA
LFA
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi Robert,
Thank you so much for making that tutorial. Based on what I've quickly previewed, it is complete and is going to help me a lot. 
I'll follow through it today with a new project from scratch, to make sure everything is correct, and I'll share my results with you.

I really appreciated your help.
Best regards,
Luciano
LFA
LFA
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

rosuckmedia (3/1/2022)
Hello Lucian,
I made you a tutorial.
It's not perfect but it works.
A mixture of English and German.
My English is terrible
But it will definitely help you.
Simulating is not necessary in this tutorial.
It's my own approach.
I'll upload it now and PM you.
Greetings Robert😊

Just to acknowledge that Robert helped me to fix the issue and setup the Live Link session correctly.
A big thank you, Robert!!   Cool
I'll run more tests to determine the optimal settings for each type of vehicle. Later I want to test vehicle interactions as well.

Best regards,
Luciano

Edited
2 Years Ago by LFA

Reading This Topic