The Swish - Keyframed

Posted By planetstardragon 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Here's a gif of the keyframe project where I animated the swish dance

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/074978c3-74e8-4396-a1ba-ba19.gif

and an interesting tidbit on this dance popularly known as the floss, whose original name is the squeegee - i'm sure if I dig deep enough I can track it back to vaudeville too. - it was first published on youtube in 2011 by a random user.

Edited
2 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

lol,  Groucho!  -  I'm sure if I kept searching,  I'd nail it exactly - in a quick search I found several tap dancers doing it,  and it's also a charleston move, this search was a ton of fun!!    I have to visit more of these old movies,  they have some great dances I can keyframe!! 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0991560a-2c51-4cd4-aa9b-db7b.gif

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

on copyright -

what is copyright is the brand name "The Floss" -  this is because that is what that performer called it - so his brand is when he does a standing Charleston dance on stage -  using that "Brand name" is attempting to capitalize on his fame.

If the moves itself could be copyright and trademarked,  then this would set a precedent for prohibition laws at clubs charging royalties to do certain dance moves - imagine standing on line with a list of the dance moves you plan to do that evening that dictate your entrance fee, and you could be arrested and sued for dancing like james brown - prince would have been ruined.

Another way to explain it,  Calvin Klein -  if they had a copyright on t-shirts - then all non Calvin Klein t-shirts would be copyright infringement.  No,  Calvin Klein owns the brand - so you can not take another T-shirt in any shape or form and stick a Calvin Klein label on it and say it's yours, because you are infringing on their brand,  the name itself,  not T-shirts in general.

Contrary to the guys claim in the op video - he could have copyright his version of the standing charleson as the Squeegee - because it would have been his brand of when he first performed it on youtube which has now also become famous - so when people hear the Squeegee -  everyone knows that refers to the first performer that did the standing charleston dance on youtube,  thus a brand. Also why he can't sue the other performer for doing the squeegee,  because the performer didn't call it the squeegee,  he called it the floss which represents his live performance of the standing charleston dance on saturday night live

Edited
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

and here's an article and link to a copyright office document,   if Epic needs a great litigation / copyright attorney in NY,  contact me through Peter Edwards so that I know its a legit request.

Excerpt from the article
The Copyright Office’s own guidance is clear: “individual movements or dance steps by themselves are not copyrightable,” it says, specifically calling out the waltz and “the hustle step.”

Epic's mistake was calling it the floss,  they could have called it groucho's legless mirror dance lol
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/20/18149869/fortnite-dance-emote-lawsuit-milly-rock-floss-carlton

Edited

Reading This Topic