Posted By Jeffster The Mighty 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

New computer question. Never had a non-intel CPU before before

Author
Jeffster The Mighty
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I'm looking at this Alienware computer, mainly because it has a 12 GB RTX 3060 in it for $1400. I wanted to go 32 gb RAM or higher, but it was a bit expensive. I'll try Crucial later on that.  Can anyone here tell me what to expect from this computer and Iray?

• processor

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800 (8-Core, 36MB Total Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.6GHz)

• laptop

Windows 11 Home, English

• videocard

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6

• memory

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 3200MHz, XMP

• harddrive

1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

• fallbackcolor

Dark Side of the Moon chassis with Low-Profile Smart Cooling CPU Heatsink and 550W Power Supply

yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
AMD processors are fine.
Intel and AMD processors are equally good quality processors.
What you need to look at here is the power of the processor, not the brand.
You can buy whichever brand of processor your budget is sufficient for the most powerful series.
The only problem is that there is no embedded graphics card, except for the G series.
If your video card is broken, you will not be able to turn on your computer until you install a video card, as you do not have a built-in video card.

Your computer looks fine for normal system requirements.
I can even say that it is higher level than the standard features.
Buying a more powerful computer saves you time.
It is important how many programs you open at the same time.

When I opened iClone and Unreal Engine at the same time, I had no problem working, but I felt that my computer was struggling.
I was also having freezing issues with loaded scenes. (with 32gb of RAM)
I realized that when I increased the amount of ram to 64gb, I worked more comfortably.

Although the ram seems to be sufficient, I definitely think it should be at least 32gb.
But I don't think it will be a problem to start with, you can buy and install these parts later, just make sure your motherboard supports it.
The only problem is if you want to make 64gb in the future, your other RAMs will be wasted.
There are definitely better processors, the core count seems low, but it depends on your budget.
Whatever system features you write here, there is definitely something better Smile

To summarize briefly, if your budget is sufficient for this system, you can work comfortably.
However, if you want a high-level advice, the RAM should be 32GB.
If you want a higher level, I think your processor should be at least 12 cores and RAM 64GB.

Of course, while I am writing these, I run at least 2, at most 4 programs on my computer at the same time.
Therefore, the comments of friends who only work with iClone may be more important.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/yepkoo
https://dev.epicgames.com/community/profile/bxvo/Yepkoo#learning

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
Jeffster The Mighty
Jeffster The Mighty
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Thanks. Problem is, I'm still shopping and I have settled on this one. I'll grow the memory with my refund check. But youre right. I'm gonna hate just tossing 16 GB. The RTX 3070 has less ram. 8GB instead of 12 GB. The main reason I'm upgrading is my card. I'm doing actually fine with 16 GB, but my crappy card is the bottleneck. This PC is $1600

Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-630-UA91 Gaming Desktop | 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700F 8-Core CPU | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1TB HDD | Intel Wi-Fi 6 | RGB Keyboard & Mouse

• 11th Generation Intel Core i7-11700F 8-Core Processor (Up to 4.9GHz) | 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Memory (expandable to 64GB) | 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD | 1TB 7200RPM HDD
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Graphics with 8GB of GDDR6 Video Memory (3 x Display Ports & 1 x HDMI Port)
  • DTS X: Ultra Audio | Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax | Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
  • 1 - USB 3.2 (Type C) Gen 2 Port (Up to 10Gbps) (Front) | 1 - USB 3.2 Gen 2 Port (Front) | 1 - USB 3.2 (Type C) Gen 2x2 port (Up to 20Gbps) (Rear) | 2 - USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Ports (Rear) | 2 - USB 2.0 ports (Rear)
  • Predator RGB Gaming Keyboard and Predator RGB Gaming Mouse Included
Jeffster The Mighty
Jeffster The Mighty
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

BTW, I've found that the Iray standalone renderer is practically weightless on resources. I will move to that exclusively in the future for multi-frame renders.
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

This looks better than the other computer specs you wrote.
3070 8gb is a better graphics card.
I think it's a pretty good computer if you can afford it.
Don't buy 2x8 to make 32gb in future for RAM.
2x16gb instead. forehead.
Because if you want to increase your RAMs to 64GB later, it ensures that the RAMs you just bought do not go to waste.

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
jjdigitalgraphics (1/11/2022)
BTW, I've found that the Iray standalone renderer is practically weightless on resources. I will move to that exclusively in the future for multi-frame renders.

Iray for Iclone does not support particles, 
I don't believe it even has motion blur.

Just a dumb , brute force path tracer originally designed for the arch/vis industry to help sell NVIDIA'S GPUS.🙄

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Jeffster The Mighty
Jeffster The Mighty
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I just bought it. It should be here Thursday or Friday. Amazon has been a day early lately
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

jjdigitalgraphics (1/11/2022)
I just bought it. It should be here Thursday or Friday. Amazon has been a day early lately

Congratulations, enjoy using it.

Jeffster The Mighty
Jeffster The Mighty
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well Iray looks awesome to me. I can do particles in Hitfilm or Blender
Jeffster The Mighty
Jeffster The Mighty
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well, it was excruciating installing it because I'm old, and I hate lying on the floor untangling wires.I will say this, the location of the SATA connector can only be accessed by Reed Richards.

Anyway, I might not need any more RAM for now. Both iClone and Character creator seem weightless. It screams through the Iray process now. Of course now that it's more interactive, I've weighed it down a bit more with options. This picture didn't use the GPU denoise feature. It was too noise free. This image would have taken forever to render before https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4d437eb0-d18f-44f3-9d02-dfde.jpg

Reading This Topic