Projecting Video

Posted By R Ham 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Dragging video into iC is fast and easy. I like it.

Below, the first pic is my use of video in iC. The second pic is an old and similar DAZ script. It does one thing iC doesn't do. The animated image plane can be projected onto nearby objects. This is very engaging when used on a TV screen. The video the pic is from is on YT. "Animated Textures Script DS3 and DS4," but the script is too old to work, it seems.

I'd like to be able to do that. Would you?
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ac993b16-a108-4bf8-b676-c807.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/63ca788b-e2d5-4e8b-8360-bc8f.png

"Less clicks good, more clicks bad."
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

You do not actually need to project.
GI can do magic.
Enable it and crank Set-Illumination in Material and Glow/Self Illumination Scale in GI section for the material surface where you applied a video.
You may also tweak settings in Global GI section.

To see it in action right away open Self-Illumination_TV project from GI folder in Project Template

Edited
3 Years Ago by 4u2ges
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

I didn't want to put a YT link here because some of the mods forbid it.

The image, the actual animated image on the actual TV screen, is reflected onto the kid's face. It didn't just get brighter. The light dances across his face in sync with the Lone Ranger vid on the TV screen.
The guy who wrote the script put the vid on an image plane, then turned down the opacity so it was translucent and shined a spotlight behind it, according to a forum post. He is no longer among us, and the script was not kept up. I tried as best I could to do the same in iC, but failed. At 50% opacity, and a spotlight on full, no light came through the plane at all. I even tried applying the vid to the actual surface of the nearby object, but the result was not usable.

Edited
3 Years Ago by R Ham
hobbyuser3d
hobbyuser3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Yeah i had mentioned to daz wanting that feature some time ago light emitting from videos in a scene and they pointed me to that script
i think it should be a plugin where it analyzes the video to be placed in a scene and maps general colors on an invisible plane of color emitting photons.

R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

A man called Draagonstorm wrote it ~8 years ago. There's a DAZ forum post about it, with people saying it stopped working a few years back, at some upgrade or other.
The iC Add Video Clip option is far easier, smoother and faster than DAZ ever was. I was thinking that with that advantage, it might be easy for them to slip in the projection feature. It never hurts to ask.

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
R Ham (12/27/2021)
I didn't want to put a YT link here because some of the mods forbid it.

The image, the actual animated image on the actual TV screen, is reflected onto the kid's face. It didn't just get brighter. The light dances across his face in sync with the Lone Ranger vid on the TV screen.
The guy who wrote the script put the vid on an image plane, then turned down the opacity so it was translucent and shined a spotlight behind it, according to a forum post. He is no longer among us, and the script was not kept up. I tried as best I could to do the same in iC, but failed. At 50% opacity, and a spotlight on full, no light came through the plane at all. I even tried applying the vid to the actual surface of the nearby object, but the result was not usable.

You could probably do something with the Blend channel. It depends of course on the Diffuse texture for the head (so which area is actually occupied by the face). Not an automatic process and it would require experimentation.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Amper Sand
Amper Sand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If I correctly understood the problem, then (to me) it can be resolved only if the projecting video has some transparent areas. The only time I tried this was about one year and half ago, and, as far as I remember, it was @animagic who pointed me to this solution. So I took the original video (in diffuse) and I created another one for opacity using Hitfilm's green screen effect plus converting to black-white to create the opacity "mask" and here's the result (skip to 8:50). But, again, I don't think this solution could apply to any kind of video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac3vfbswVUg

Later EDIT: I think you could use also try to use the video as IBL source, but it would be reflected on any object having reflection enabled.

Edited
3 Years Ago by ampertox
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ampertox (12/28/2021)
If I correctly understood the problem, then (to me) it can be resolved only if the projecting video has some transparent areas.

Yes. You're right. Opacity was my problem. I took the term literally. Applying the opacity setting to the image plane containing the vid had no effect at all on the translucency of the vid. I assumed that the opacity setting would affect both the plane and the vid. Indeed, the word "assume" has the word "ass" in it. Your own approach worked well.

I'm encouraged by your suggestions, and I'll fool with these today. Thank you.

Edited
3 Years Ago by R Ham
mark
mark
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

There is/was a feature in Lightwave 3D I used called "Image-Projection". The feature allowed an image or video for that matter to be "projected' onto the surface of an object. I have asked the powers that be about the possibility of adding a feature like that....one never knows but I wouldn't hold my breath Smile

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

mark (12/28/2021)
There is/was a feature in Lightwave 3D I used called "Image-Projection". The feature allowed an image or video for that matter to be "projected' onto the surface of an object. I have asked the powers that be about the possibility of adding a feature like that....one never knows but I wouldn't hold my breath Smile

That sounds perfect. Alas, with LightWave $1K a seat, I'll have to work around it for now.
I put the vid in Vegas Pro, converted it to black and white, turned the opacity down to 50%, rendered it, dropped it onto an image plane with the opacity turned down in iC, and shined a spotlight on it. The image plane itself let the light through no problem, but the video appeared only on the image plane. I haven't tried using it as the Opacity mask yet, and I haven't tried the green screen.
-------------------------
EDIT
I dropped the edited video into the OPACITY MAP of the image plane, and voila, I've got results. They'll need some fiddling, but it works. Film at 11:00.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cfd2ec57-59ac-40ad-9e1e-f2a0.jpg

Edited
3 Years Ago by R Ham

Reading This Topic