Question about FPS, can't get a great answer on Reallusion Discord

Posted By planetpva 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Question about FPS, can't get a great answer on Reallusion Discord

Author
planetpva
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
iClone captures all Facial MoCap and Body MoCap, whether pre-recorded or otherwise at 60fps and shoots it to Unreal Engine at 60fps.

I want to export from UE at 24fps, which is cinema standard. 

But it doesn't seem it's feasible, yes I can export from Unreal Engine at 24fps, but then the animation is completely out of sync with the audio. 

Is there any work around for this? Because 60fps is simply not usable for anything other than gaming or sports.

Thanks
pva
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
if the mocap file is a bvh text file,  you can manually edit the speed in the text with notepad -  just look for the speed and change it - the bvh text format is relatively plain english -  I used to do this all the time to convert super high res mocap to iclone speeds.

if the mocap file is encrypted - then you are at the mercy of the tools the developer that encrypted it gave you.

solution -  if you can export the file to bvh text,  then do so,  edit in notepad,  and re-import.

( it's been a while since i've done this,  but if I recall -  the format is sometimes referred to bvh ascii - for the plain english version - once there you'll notice a header of base parameters -  look for the one relative to speed ( i forgot what it's called but it will likely have a "60" next to it -  also a fun trick to do extreme slows and speed ups since that field accepts almost any value you give it without error. )

Edited
3 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetpva
planetpva
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)Junior Member (149 reputation)

What about Accu Lips and Facial MoCap using Motion Live though? It's recorded and fed to UE at 60fps? Can't modify that MoCap in UE to 24 FPS, otherwise its 2x+ slower than the audio it was original captured with when I move it to the final NLE
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
honestly I can't say because I don't have that software -  so you are at the mercy of the developers on this one.  what I suggested is only for body mocap - the face is almost treated like a 2nd rig, so I can't begin to imagine what that file would look like if you accessed it in text anyway.

if I had to come up with a possible workaround,  I'd probably try importing it to iclone fist -  then adjust the speed manually that way ( but still not the best option since it's manual via slider )
other than that I'd recommend contacting support direct -  more often than not they have some not so obvious answers to obvious issues. -  something like going into preferences and setting a new default speed or something simple like that.  Trust me,  I get the feeling it's going to be a "why didn't I think of that answer" lol.

Edited
3 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetpva
planetpva
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

solid, thank you for your replies! cheers
planetpva
planetpva
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

This also ponders a larger question for me, what is the workflow for a studio?

You always typically want to capture MoCap at 50+ fps I assume, to grant you high fidelity, so what do you do once you've captured that footage and plan to output to your editor?

I can't imagine studios like Marvel or whomever are down sampling 60fps in their NLE and losing 60% of the frames to get to 24? Yeah it works and you still get motion blur, but it's fake 24.
Edited
3 Years Ago by ayepva
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
Whether you go from 60 FPS to 24 FPS or sample at 24 FPS to begin with, you would lose resolution in either case. Nothing fake about either method.

With things often being as fast as they are, the stubbornness to stay at 24 FPS because it is somehow more cinematic seems like a relic from the past.

With 24 FPS motion blur between frames seems essential to me to get a sufficiently smooth viewing experience.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic