Profile Picture

Anyone know if this card is worth anything?

Posted By ApplebiteMedia 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
and now i'm hungry for some fresh baked bread with butter and coffee.  Laugh
black friday is around the corner,   the trick is to be there before they sell out of whatever they could get and desperate to sell....but the sales will be there.

I'm not worried about future prices -  firstly ,  for what I'm doing the 1070 is still a champ for me,  plus it's making me learn new ...actually old filming techniques,  and the crypto community are making a big fuss about the pollution from the mining - so those systems are changing fast ....and nvidia will keep churning out new video cards saying it's a brand new quantum breaking discovery worlds bestesest ever card that can travel back in time routine -  and the cards everyone wants now will tank in price,  especially when miners start selling their old ones for the time travel gpu cards.

It's like gaming,  if your only focus is to get the best gear in the game - then every waking moment will be some pressure to make some deadline and the grind never stops,  BUT if you have fun simply trying to kill dragons with a chicken bone,  you can have fun right now!!   I can melt faces at 10 fps !! -flex-

Edited
3 Years Ago by planetstardragon
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
planet, interesting you mention old filmmaking techniques, which could easily be carried over to the digital realm...

Things like background projection, for example. Years ago (2014), I needed a train ride for a view from the windows and found one on YouTube. I then placed it on a plane and rendered the scene out.

I think there is not enough appreciation that you don't have to simulate to whole world to get convincing results.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
3 Years Ago by animagic
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

yes, exactly that Smile      I was thinking of making a few test projects made out of mattes and cut outs to put in the shop in the future - it's amazing how photo-realistic you can make your scenes with that approach. 

the matte painting technique is so powerful that i've come to appreciate that most people looking for real time photo-realism want to make games ( even if they think different ),  not movies ...because hollywood movies are all about matte painting, vfx and compositing -  while games are all about photorealistic real time ray traced entire 3D environments.  from all the behind the scenes footage I've seen from big hollywood movies

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
And it comes full circle with the Mandalorian... Using game engines for background projection...Tongue

https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/20/how-the-mandalorian-and-ilm-invisibly-reinvented-film-and-tv-production/

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

haha,  that's great ....see ?  hollywood is a mixed media - trying to render it all out in one cg shot limits the potential for so much additional detail and creativity and turns an otherwise artistic project into a science project calculating realism.  realism smealism,  I can open my eyes for that,  we want fantasy and great stories!   Plus it follows hollywoods history of using any latest tech of the time and throwing it into the movie gumbo to do something no one has done before!  no different than hitchcock using the zoom in the cameras to create the vertigo effect,  hitchcocks creativity is what turned the zoom tool on the camera while pulling the camera man backward or forward of his time into a vertigo plug in effect that's a staple in modern horror movies. it's not the tools you use that are entertaining,  it's how you use them! Smile

but i digress. yeah,  video cards are expensive lol

ApplebiteMedia
ApplebiteMedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
animagic (10/12/2021)
You changed your handle! That may be wise after your rant...Tongue

I would not go with a previous generation (2080Ti). Just stay with the 3000 series and buy what you can afford.

BTW, it is always tricky to advise someone remotely, but we do our best!

No I get that... everyone will have different expectations but since people here are using the same software, I am just looking for advice on thier preference and why it is good.  Personally, I have no issues with my Radeon except that it's too slow now.  It is blazing fast with Vegas Video.... which it was purchased for.  But iClone is causing me to need more... and I am sure that I will still need more in the future and would love to just get the top of the line now... but that is not possible atm.

My work knows my company... not really hiding LOL.  Of course, I get a text last night informing the employees we had 2 co-workers with covid.  Company policy was to close the store for two weeks at one time... I just found this out last night, the company knew on 9/26... twos weeks to inform us.  Profit over safety... but we will not go down that road LMAO.

I do wonder why they do not make the 3060Ti with more vram.  It's either the 3060Ti with 8 gig or the 3060 with 12 gig.  Or do they and I havent seen it for the price.... Hmmmmmm

Graphic Design, PHP Programming, More - Applebite Media
(www.applebitemedia.com)

ApplebiteMedia
ApplebiteMedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

CGI in hollywood has come a long way.... I was noticing that the other night while watching Eraserhead.  1977, no where near today's technology.  Technology all around has become better and really made our lives easier. Of course, on the down side, it has made some industries or careers obsolete.  For those that are older here, you have seen the changes over the years like I have I'm sure.  The other day, I saw a news clip of a restaurant using a robot server.  All it really does is carry the plates at this stage, a server is still needed to put the plates on the table but give it time.

I worked in a print shop when I started my graphic design career... we would run film, strip film to make plates.... etc, etc.  All that is done by computers now.  Honestly, I miss the old days.... it took skill and a good eye to strip film with perfect alignment.  It is a lost artform. 

And Yes Planetstardragon, I agree... sometimes you do not need top of the line to make something great.  I still shoot with a Canon 20D and an older Canon HD video camera.  Although with 4k, I may need to upgrade one day however they still perform great and produce quality results.  There is absoutely no way I could even think about a top of the line graphic card, I am just trying to get the best card for the price I can afford and hope it will sustain through some growth.  I am not doing anything that is super realistic but with a full scene and a couple of characters with animation, I slow down so much.  I just want to boost that as much as possible for now. BigGrin

Graphic Design, PHP Programming, More - Applebite Media
(www.applebitemedia.com)

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

"What if I told you,  you could do that now with your card ?" - Morpheclone

when Iclone was just a baby,  I came in when it was 3,  others even before that -  we were given a basic set of tools,  and an abundance of fantastic techniques that made those simple yet very clever tools a very powerful combination - someone in Reallusion is (was ?) a 3D Grandmaster and was able to simplify the cg workflow into a very effective toolset for those who wished to truly understand their virtual kung fu!    Overtime,  as RL started entering a larger market,  they started adjusting things to be more compatible with the more advanced gears .....and the techniques of old were slowly being replaced by new technologies that made doing the ancient rituals obsolete...

Truth is,  those old techniques still apply -  but who wants to spend the time baking textures,  reducing polycount and combining the lighting theories available in iclone when you can have a game engine auto realism everything for you ?  why clean up a high res texture and mesh when you can just get a time traveling gpu to make my mess look amazing in real time ?   why not just resample a smaller sized jpg file to have a higher ppi count ? -  because expensive gear needs to be sold so others can call this a career too lol.   that's innovation!

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 58 minutes ago
I worked in a print shop when I started my graphic design career... we would run film, strip film to make plates.... etc, etc.  All that is done by computers now.  Honestly, I miss the old days.... it took skill and a good eye to strip film with perfect alignment.  It is a lost artform. 

I was a Graphic designer for 19 years before moving over to video
editing and 3D/CG.
I remember the Days of Sending color separations to film
that were later stripped up on "golden rod" to shoot metal offset plates
It was HORRIBLE!!

I Welcomed the  transition to Digital composite printing and
plastic plate making from laser printers and the long over due death
of Post script page description language arrghhh!! 

Anyway, buy the hardware you can afford  but dont delay your learning and creative process
just because you dont have top end gear.

I am part of a Blender facebook group and it infuriates me when
a newbie posts that  he only has an "old" NIVDIA 1080 and asks should he install Blender.
There is always some ignorant bufoon who tells him 
he will "never render anything with that hardware"
and he had  better but an RTX 3090Crazy

Yet with Blender,and CC3 pipeline, I can render scenes like this ,in EEVEE,
at about 17 seconds per frame on my Dell inspiron
with only intel UHD graphics (NO GPU) with 16 gigs system ram.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Edited
3 Years Ago by AutoDidact
debbie harmon
debbie harmon
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)Veteran Member (807 reputation)

I am in need of a new computer.  I am so confused by the NVIDIA options.  What is the best to purchase in your opinion for very large IClone and CC3 files. I am getting an entire computer not just the NVIDIA card.  Any suggestions on specs?  Is it worth going with an i9 vs an i7?  What RAM would you recommend?  Is bigger always better?  I am not computer knowledgeable.  Also how do you feel about laptop vs desktop.  I do not need monitors.  Thanks for your help. 

Reading This Topic