Profile Picture

Deleting "RLDownloads' files - Safe to delete them all?

Posted By justaviking 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
justaviking
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
The SSD on my laptop is getting quite full, and I discovered I have over 20GB of files in the C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Reallusion\RLDownloads folder.

It appears to be all the patches that the Hub downloaded and installed.

Is there *any* reason to keep any of them?  Or should I empty the entire folder without worry?

P.S.
Shouldn't the be deleted automatically after the updates get installed and running?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Sigh...   Immediately after posting the question, I realized I was being a bad citizen by not searching for existing answers first.

Animagic pretty much answered it here (read his reply to the post immediately above his reply).

ANSWER = "Safe to delete."

Follow-up question...  To what extent does it really help you if you saved the RLDownloads files on an external drive and Animagic suggested?  Would it be a lot of bother to know which ones to run and in which sequence?  It does seem strange that the Hub leaves these lying around forever and ever.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 45 minutes ago
I'm glad I can still help.Wink

I believe the Hub has a setting to remove the files after an install. I don't do that but move them to my main download folder and keep the most recent. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Job, nice to "chat" with you.  It's been too long.  You've always been a great presence on the forum for everyone.

I moved all the files to a USB thumb drive.  I seem to be in the minority sometimes in that I am mostly happy with the Hub.  I'm blessed with a good internet connection, so downloading the software isn't a big deal, and I do like that it takes care of which order to install things, which used to be a bit of an issue (iClone vs. CC vs. a plug-in, etc.).  I just click "Update All" and it does all the work.

I've always been one to keep a local copy of the software.  It's almost as if I don't trust the internet, which is odd because it's not true, but it's comforting to have that local copy forever and ever.  Of course if you have to "contact the mother ship" with your license key and get a response to actually unlock the s/w, then you're out of luck if the company stops supporting you and you need to reinstall something.  I like having 10-year old (or older) software that I can install on my new computer and simply enter the key and be up and running without any worries.

A bigger irritation for me is "content."  The "Content Manager" isn't horrible,  but items which must be run through an "installer" without an option to download/install more manually sometimes frustrate me.  We really have two installation paradigms trying to coexist.

Anyway... thanks again for the help.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7cce9fa2-97db-479c-b235-5871.jpg
(Of course it's "0.00 GB" now after I moved all the files to the thumb drive.  Smile )

Edited
3 Years Ago by justaviking
wires
wires
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi Dennis, long time no talk. Smile

On of the few advantages, IMHO, for using the Hub is that we can save patch versions of the the installed software. For quite some time it was not possible to keep patches on our systems, we couldn't download them from our user account nor were we given an opportunity to save a version before or after it was installed using the Hub. It took some time, but RL finally updated the Hub giving use the option to select a location for saving patches, and for those not interested in keeping installers also the option to delete said files after installation.

Like Job, I keep the files saved before moving them to an external drive for any possible future use. The full installers can always be downloaded from our accounts, but patches are only available for archiving by using the Hub and I always keep the last 2 patch versions just in case the latest one cases problems requiring a reinstall of an earlier one.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Gerry - Thanks for the additional insight.  I will set aside a dedicated "iClone instal/patch" thum drive and try to remember to move my files from the C: drive to the thumbdrive once in a while (and purge it some too - probably no need for a terabyte thumb drive with  7 or more versions on it, LOL).

Reading This Topic