Is this normal?

Posted By ApplebiteMedia 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ApplebiteMedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Hey all... just purchssed iray render yesterday and was playing with it a little.....

I made this little scene and was wondering why the render came out so poorly..... the iClone render is SO much better.   Am I missing something? 

iRay:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/00abaa54-f9e2-4dc8-bf74-3029.png

iClone:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a19913c4-2d62-481e-8fa3-6672.png

Granted... I did nothing special to either render... iClone I did use super sampling 3x3 but that was it.

Just curious as the iray render was the same via iClone and the stand alone that came with it.

Thanks.

Oh... also.... how do you add textures to things?  When I imported that nightgown, it imported with the obj texture but not color.  I tried to add the texture to the material but could not drag and drop, can it be added through the modifer?  And if so, where are these textures? I cannot find them in the shared folder for some reason.

Thanks again BigGrin

Graphic Design, PHP Programming, More - Applebite Media
(www.applebitemedia.com)

ApplebiteMedia
ApplebiteMedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

I am also wondering why this program will not read my GPU.  All this program does is use CPU fpr processing and nothing is listed for a GPU.  Is this program for Nividia ONLY????  It's very hard to adjust and find good settings when I am waiting over an hour of a render.  But I have to tell you.... so far I am NOT impressed with this 149.00 program.  iClone renders SO much better without it!!!!

Is there any way to see these textures without rendering?  I did figure out how to attach them to the items... but can only see the material after render... which again, takes over an hour... for just one character, no props, no animation... over an hour for one simple image render.  Common!  Seriously?   Granted I only have 8gig on the graphic card and 64 gig ram... should not take over an hour.

HELP!!!!!

(www.applebitemedia.com)

Edited
3 Years Ago by michelle_446559
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 49 minutes ago
If you do not have a NIVIDIA GPU then Iray will render on your CPU at much slower speed of course.😝

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

ApplebiteMedia
ApplebiteMedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

AutoDidact (9/17/2021)
If you do not have a NIVIDIA GPU then Iray will render on your CPU at much slower speed of course.😝

Hardware settings can be adjusted to best suit the limitations of your rendering equipment and your usage requirements.  For example, if you want to batch render frames and still operate your computer for other tasks, then you should reduce the number of cores you are using to free up additional processor cores.  Also, let's say that you have a very powerful graphics card, then it is entirely feasible to uncheck the CPUs option to assign the render task entirely on the graphics front.

• CPUs: Allow CPUs to contribute to the Iray render.
  • Cores: Assign the number of CPU cores to the Iray render.  The range depends on the type of CPU hardware. For example, the Intel i7-9750H  has 6 cores which would make it 2 more available then Intel i7-8559U.
  • GPUs: Assignment of whatever GPU is available on the system to the Iray render. For example, if there is no graphics card installed then this option will be missing.  On the other hand if the system has multiple graphics then all of them will be listed here for full or partial assignment.

Nothing at all about only compatible with a specific graphic card or company.   This software uses "Adobe" in it's videos and tutorials...  but the method works the same in other photo editors... why would I assume this any different?  Tongue

At least the renders are coming out better.... using 10 of the 16 processor nodes available.... Standard CC3 lighting.... just playing with fabrics.... https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/67b60bea-8c0d-421a-b771-29d2.png
(FYI - no gens in this character... she is a barbie like the default characters.... no need to delete this.)

(www.applebitemedia.com)

Edited
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Hi 
Do you meet these minimum system requirements?
"Iray Render plugin will run without GPU, but for best performance we recommend using Nvidia GPUs. Iray will resort to CPU rendering under the following conditions: Running on AMD graphics card. Running on Nvidia GPU without CUDA compute capability 3.0 or higher."
Iray only exists to sell Nvidia GPU hardware as they are a graphics hardware company.
FYI, Daz studio comes with a free copy of the Iray engine
but Iray is generally considered too slow for animation rendering any way ,unless have have access to a render farm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins

ApplebiteMedia
ApplebiteMedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

When this was purchased.....  This is the chain of links.....
https://www.reallusion.com/store/product.html?l=1&p=ic

Being I was purchasing, no need for a free trial page when I have seen this in the plug-ins since January....

From there the links in the add at the bottom went to 2 different places.... 1 the cart with the product added and 2 the details pop up of the product.... again... no specific requirements.  I do not believe I have seen that link in the purchase chain. Then again, I was not looking... (if you click you will see what I mean)  My bad I guess.... but something that is specific to a named graphic card for optimal performance should come with much better warnings on all pages that lead to the cart.  And if the CPU can process this data, why not other GPU's?  Is this a way to stay exclussive with Nvidia or just lazy or non caring programmers? 

Of course, seeing any of that I may not have spent the 149.00 for the program and still may return it (probablly not, I still have terrain generator LOL).  I mostly wanted the textures.... but again, if I would have known they were only usable or even viewable with the rendered image, I may have again passed. I thought the textures would be nice sine I am learning to make my own clothing.  So far, I am not seeing any advantage to an iray render vs the Reallusion render.... Reallusions look better IMO.  It would be nice if these textures still worked throuout the program on any item.... that would actually be the best benefit.... for me anyway Wink

I guess I will hang on to this as I plan on doing some system upgrades.... I need more Vram so I guess it to Nvidia for this.... I believe the last time I looked 11gig was around 3500.00.  Woo Hoo!  But since I want to get full motion body gear this machine is going to need an overhaul.... it is great for video and 2d.... but some of this turns a fast computer to something out of the late 80's  LMAO.

(www.applebitemedia.com)

Edited
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Is this a way to stay exclussive with Nvidia or just lazy or non caring programmers? 

Not a case of"lazy programmers" LOL!!.

If you do not have a NVIDIA GPU (with the updated drivers)
you can only render(slowly) on your CPU with Iray

Iray is a brute force path tracer that 
Does not even support motion Blur or the Iclone particle system.

Iray only exists to sell Nvidia Graphic cards,
it is a "loss leader" product that was originally created for the Architectural/product visualization, still render industry.
And if all you are going to render are stills you may as well use Daz studio and not have to pay $149 Dollars just for Iray

Even many people here with mega GPU systems/RTX cards etc
Avoid Iray for animation rendering because it is not practical.

I dont have NVidia hardware (or a GPU at all)
This is why I use the CC3 export tools to render in Blenders EEVEE with my intel UHD graphics. 

Ghost Origins

Edited
3 Years Ago by AutoDidact
ApplebiteMedia
ApplebiteMedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

AutoDidact (9/17/2021)
 Is this a way to stay exclussive with Nvidia or just lazy or non caring programmers? 

Not a case of"lazy programmers" LOL!!.
(maybe.... but if a CPU can process why not another GPU?  slower maybe but an addition to the CPU none the less)

If you do not have a NVIDIA GPU (with the updated drivers)
you can only render(slowly) on your CPU with Iray

Iray is a brute force path tracer that 
Does not even support motion Blur or the Iclone particle system.

Iray only exists to sell Nvidia Graphic cards,
it is a "loss leader" product that was originally created for the Architectural/product visualization, still render industry.
And if all you are going to render are stills you may as well use Daz studio and not have to pay $149 Dollars just for Iray

Even many people here with mega GPU systems/RTX cards etc
Avoid Iray for animation rendering because it is not practical.

I dont have NVidia hardware (or a GPU at all)
This is why I use the CC3 export tools to render in Blenders EEVEE with my intel UHD graphics. 

I set this system up two and a half years ago... it was set up for video and on a budget so... I have been making upgrades as needed.  Things were great... running super fast with an i5 and radeon 8gig card.  As I started collecting this software.... I have had to make some adjustments.... i9 processor... better cooling fan... but the graphic card was still running well... no need to upgrade IMO.  Others suggested the t1080... but can only find that in 8 gig.  To me that is a lateral change and not an upgrade.  I did see something that could be useful is the new Nvidia Volt (i think)  12 gig vram, 2999.99 but also out of stock.  To me that is an upgrade.... I want more to make the change so I may have to wait a bit.

Honestly, I really only wanted the textures.  That is the bigggest disappointment.  The rendering I can deal with, make high res promo photos... worth the money for that... not right now no but can see it being useful in the future.  The lighting setups are nice too... those do work in other renders so at least it's not a total loss LMAO.

It is official... except for the plugins needed for mocap, and maybe a couple new 2D add-ons..... I think I have collected all the Reallusion software, plug-ins and most useful items.  (not to mention all the clothing, props, animations and so on I have purchased).  Actually only good thing that came out of this covid situation.  It gave me the time to learn something new and enjoy.  I was/am so burnt out on design and programming (not so much programming).... it's nice to do something different.  The biggest downside to this is that I want to do too much and do not focus on any one thing.  But having freedom from only purchased content is sooooo liberating but also very time consuming.

(www.applebitemedia.com)

Edited

Reading This Topic