Profile Picture

animating daz characters in iclone, live link to unreal. is it possible?

Posted By adamgflynn 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

animating daz characters in iclone, live link to unreal. is it...

Author
adamgflynn
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey Guys, 
I've gotten the unreal live link to work with cc3 characters which is really great. Thanks for building this glue. I'm excited to see it running in UE5!

Would someone please tell me if it's possible to iclone live link a daz characters into unreal (using 3dxchange and custom duf facial morph file pipeline, NOT converting it to a cc3 character)?
I understand that the new EXPLUS facial animation system isn't available with the daz characters, that's cool for now. Just need a complete pipeline and not one that stops short
Ideally what I'd like to do is this:
Bring the daz character into unreal through the daz to unreal bridge. 
Apply the fbx exporting from 3dxchange that contains motion and facial animation data.
(This is with the assumption of following the proper 3dexchange/ facial duf pipeline with the daz character in 3dexchange. )

It was a big disappointment to learn that it wasn't possible to bring the data facial animation back into DAZ. As I understand it, DAZ doesn't have the ability to import morph data through fbx. I would have expected Reallusion to create the proper tools to allow one to bring in the facial animation as the website does give this impression it can do so.

Please let me know what's possible with unreal. it's been frustrating to go so far down a path, just to find some limitation that kills the whole thing at the end.
thanks in advance.

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
 DAZ doesn't have the ability to import morph data through fbx. I would have expected Reallusion to create the proper tools to allow one to bring in the facial animation as the website does give this impression it can do so.
Reallusion has given us the ability to send facial animation
,via FBX, to the major 3DCC's like Blender ,Maya ,C4D.

Daz has refused to implement proper FBX import of animated Characters
,from other applications, because Daz studio only exists as loss leader program to foment sales of Daz store Genesis figure content.

It is NOT a true 3DCC.

I get it.... You want to send the Daz Genesis Figures  directly to UE because the Daz UE bridge exporter retains the joint deformations and general mesh fidelity that are frankly lost when "transformed"
into a CC3, look alike, Avatar.

For this reason I too have recently partially migrated
back to Exporting the Daz G8 figures directly to Blender Via the free
Diffeomorphic plugin that retains the joint fidelity and supports animation.

However you will likely have to 
Use one of the Daz native Facial animation optios such as the Iphone based "face Mojo" as  an alternative Facial animation
option for your genesis Characters in UE4/5 

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Edited
3 Years Ago by AutoDidact
adamgflynn
adamgflynn
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for the reply.
I know what you mean about Daz. However, I felt like the Iray render speed was reasonable enough that I could animate my cameras in daz and bring in my animations from iclone. For the kind of projects I'd like to do, that would have worked perfectly. I wouldn't want to have to change all the materials and go through conversions in another DCC app.
I did try the Daz to cinema 4d bridge and it didn't seem to do much than using an fbx export. I'm excited to learn that the bridge to unreal works amazing well! all the of the pbr materials and textures are preserved. So I'm happy moving to unreal moving forwards.

The reallusion/iclone live link is a great tool and hope to see it for ue5 soon.
I was able to take the genesis 8 character and custom duf map into iclone and live link it over into unreal. So I had native genesis 8 geometry with body and facial animation working.
It's easy enough to copy the materials over from a copy of the character I sent to unreal through the daz to unreal bridge. So yea, I think I have a working solution. I still have to experiment with hair in clothes with this workflow.
The iclone puppet tools are really great and would love to use their facial capture system over those plugins.
I've heard there is a similar facial live link for unreal that works on daz characters. that might be cool. I believe working the body and facial animation together would be very ideal over doing it separately in different programs.
I hope Reallusion plays on their strengths with the animation toolset and create tight pipeline workflows. 

Really nice video by the way, keep up the hard work.

Reading This Topic