Profile Picture

iClone Lip-Sync Animation Contest 2021 - (Tears in Rain - Bladerunner Scene) WIP

Posted By Europafilms 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

iClone Lip-Sync Animation Contest 2021 - (Tears in Rain - Bladerunner...

Author
Europafilms
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
One of the most iconic movies at the start of my film making career was the original Bladerunner movie. The scene that I remember the most was performed by Dutch actor Rutger Hauer.

So I decided to create my own version of his Tears in Rain monologue using CC3, Headshot and iClone 7.9 with the AccuLips feature.
First the Headshot photo-matching challenge. How to create a younger, battered and bruised Rutger from a much older HQ reference....

SkinGen Premium came in handy for the wet skin, sweat, rain and bruised effects. https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0be02d17-6cd2-4ce1-9545-9abf.jpg

After some refinement his character Roy is coming to life. So onto the animation, lighting and scene creation....in iClone 7.9.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8a9a8d35-225e-41e5-923e-08ce.jpg

Europafilms - Creative Studio
Europafilms
Europafilms
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)

Recommended videos useful for extra tips on fine tuning the Facial Animation with Explus Expressions and AccuLips:

[Webinar] The Powerful Facial System for LipSync, Smart Hair, and ARKit Facial Mocap

Master Class - Working with New ExPlus Expressions in iClone & Character Creator - by 3DTest

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 56 minutes ago
One of the best death scenes in cinema history.
Looking forward to your animation. 👍

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Europafilms
Europafilms
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

The 4K animation of the Tears in Rain sequence from the first BladeRunner movie -  iClone Lip-Sync Animation Contest 2021 - (Tears in Rain) Thanks for Smashing the Like button on the Youtube page Smile

How it was made:

Character created as a CC3+ with Headshot. SkinGen Pro used for skin effects.
Audio from the original monologue imported for use with AccuLips and Explus facial expressions. 
Final render in iClone 7.9 of the character with Alpha channel (as a .png sequence) at UHD 4K.
Final compositing in Adobe After Effects.  1. Character Render, 2. Background Rain, 3. Foreground Rain, 4. Background Plane, 5. Smoke/Steam Layer.
Motion Blur was also added in AE. 

Technical Challenges:

Could have been a slightly better facial mocap if LiveFace was used but ExPlus is very effective and expressive. I was impressed by the results when testing the feature.
It was a much faster render from iClone doing it this way. If you need to add layers or colour grading to separate layers in After Effects later it is essential to have a separate character render.
I made a render with the rain and smoke directly from the Popcorn Particle Effects 40 plugin but it lacked the fine detail and the render gave some video glitches I could not seem to get rid of, so CC Rain in AE was used.

@AutoDidact - I agree, Rutger Hauer was a fine actor and made this scene quite memorable. 

Reading This Topic