Live Face -- Lots of Jitter

Posted By R Ham 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Hi All,
I'm getting loads of jitter using the Live Face plugin on preview. I was able to do a screen recording of it, it starts about 6 seconds in on this clip.
Ethernet or WIFI connection makes no difference. CC3+ characters are used.
I look forward to your comment.

"Less clicks good, more clicks bad."
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
That's REALLY weird - I've never seen that, not in any of my stuff nor anyone else's.

Offhand the first thing I'd try is to render and see if it's there as well - that would give you some clues as to what is going on.  What's your GPU?

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Kelleytoons (8/8/2021)That's REALLY weird - I've never seen that, not in any of my stuff nor anyone else's.
Offhand the first thing I'd try is to render and see if it's there as well - that would give you some clues as to what is going on.  What's your GPU?

It will not be possible to render as I am using the evaluation software.
The GPU is a GTX1080ti

Edited
3 Years Ago by R Ham
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Hmmm, that GPU ought to be fine.  Are you using the latest drivers?  Make sure you check NVidia's site and update if there is one available.

That's about the only thing I can think of, other than perhaps trying a different avatar (try Zane, for example, to make sure it's nothing to with anything special for that character - Zane is pretty vanilla and ought to work with anyone's system).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (8/8/2021)
Hmmm, that GPU ought to be fine.  Are you using the latest drivers?  Make sure you check NVidia's site and update if there is one available.

That's about the only thing I can think of, other than perhaps trying a different avatar (try Zane, for example, to make sure it's nothing to with anything special for that character - Zane is pretty vanilla and ought to work with anyone's system).

My Nvidia drivers are the latest Studio Drivers.
I tried it with the Caleb character. Interestingly, it worked. There was one freeze, but I was able to recover. Reliability was less than 100%, but it was greatly improved.
The two characters that jittered badly were my two favorite custom characters, unfortunately.
Looks like trial and error is my next move. Thanks, you gave me a clue as to where to look.
Suspicion: The two custom characters were CONVERTED CC3+ characters. I might try customizing a natural-born CC3+ character.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Remember that you can capture facial motion from ANY character and use it on any OTHER character.  So you don't have to always use a specific one (I seldom do - I usually just throw Zane in there for males or whoever the default female is).

As always, iClone tends to use a lot of GPU memory, so your 8GB is adequate but not ideal for real time stuff.  But you can always work around it.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (8/8/2021)

Remember that you can capture facial motion from ANY character and use it on any OTHER character.  So you don't have to always use a specific one (I seldom do - I usually just throw Zane in there for males or whoever the default female is).

As always, iClone tends to use a lot of GPU memory, so your 8GB is adequate but not ideal for real time stuff.  But you can always work around it.

Saving the facial animation for reuse/reapplication looks like a good workaround, thanks. It seems fair to say the software may have some character dependence. The Katherine character works well (I don't have a Zane), I'm going to try to make her look like Gramma. I will also experiment with saving a motion file for reuse.

I've already experimented with the iPhone in DAZ, using the Face Mojo software. It is completely reliable in WIFI, although not live. I have also succeeded in importing DAZ characters into iClone, complete with their animations. I've been wondering if one of these facial animations, saved as a motion file, would work on a native iClone character. Seems like it should... That said, Motion Live's option to control and synchronize an external microphone looks real nice to me, as I've been considering voiceover work in the future. Given the choice I'll stay with Motion Live. Acculips looks excellent, I look forward to trying it out as soon as I can put this jitter business to rest.

My 1080ti has 11GB, so imagine how much I envy you your 3090.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well, 11GB is nothing to worry about.  My old Titan card has 12GB and is still a very viable machine compared to my new one.  You should be in good shape for quite a while to come with that.

It would be interesting to see if that character has issues on other machines - how exactly did you get/make her?  Is she wearing clothing and, if so, where did IT come from?  As I said earlier I've never seen this kind of jitter before and unless there is something going on with the demo software that doesn't exist with the paid version it's a very weird thing that would be useful to track down.

You can't transfer facial animation from any other program to iClone.  iClone uses morphs which any other program would have to duplicate (and Daz does not - you CAN transfer expressions over, but only as a single pose, one at a time).  

And remember to try playing with Acculips for your lipsync and then overlaying expressions using Live Face on top of that.  That's a preferred workflow and it works very well indeed (and you might not have any jitter that way - I don't know, because (again) I've never seen this and have little idea what might be causing it).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (8/8/2021)
Well, 11GB is nothing to worry about.  My old Titan card has 12GB and is still a very viable machine compared to my new one.  You should be in good shape for quite a while to come with that.

It would be interesting to see if that character has issues on other machines - how exactly did you get/make her?  Is she wearing clothing and, if so, where did IT come from?  As I said earlier I've never seen this kind of jitter before and unless there is something going on with the demo software that doesn't exist with the paid version it's a very weird thing that would be useful to track down.

You can't transfer facial animation from any other program to iClone.  iClone uses morphs which any other program would have to duplicate (and Daz does not - you CAN transfer expressions over, but only as a single pose, one at a time).  

And remember to try playing with Acculips for your lipsync and then overlaying expressions using Live Face on top of that.  That's a preferred workflow and it works very well indeed (and you might not have any jitter that way - I don't know, because (again) I've never seen this and have little idea what might be causing it).

This machine is new, and it's no slouch. I built it intentionally to be done with hardware limitations, at least for a while. It has a 12-core Ryzen CPU, 128GB of ram and a pair of 1080ti cards. I've pretty much learned how to match my iClone lighting in "normal" and in Iray. This machine will render iClone in Iray just fine, and be more stable with a 4GB scene than DAZ.

Thanks for explaining the facial animation business, I won't waste my time. iClone has more file types than a tree has leaves, I sometimes wish for a glossary listing and defining them all.

My characters were built in CC3, they were not imported, but at one point I had to convert them to CC3+. They did both have clothes on, and in both cases, at least one article of clothing or hair was imported from DAZ. I did not try them out unclothed, although it crossed my mind.

I've got a new Katherine-based Gramma halfway built, and I'll test her both clothed and unclothed. I will focus on Live Face until I can use it in a reliable way. This ought to be soon, as you've helped me focus on the characters themselves. I did try TTS in Acculips, and it's the most accurate lipsync I've seen. I've also watched the 3DTest YT blurb on this subject and noted your comment.

I'll be back...

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It will be interesting to hear of your progress.

(When you said "hair" the first thing that occurred to my mind is that there are MANY Daz hairs that can bring even the most powerful system down to its knees.  That might be your whole problem right there.  Keep the hair to strictly polygonal (no fibermesh or other tricky Daz stuff) and low poly at that (use the options to make it lower poly if you have any questions) and you should be okay (I have hundreds of Daz hairs that work perfectly fine, but I also have MANY that won't work at all and thus I don't use them)).

If you ever have ANY question about how well any Daz item will work with iClone just ask me.  Most of the time I can tell you since I'll have it.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kelleytoons

Reading This Topic