3DXchange in the Future

Posted By R Ham 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
animagic (7/31/2021)
You would think that something basic like that would have been solved long ago.

I know there is something like gLTF and what Omniverse uses (USD) but those are not import formats for iClone.

Not to get too OT here (although it's still somewhat to the point considering what 3DX is all about) but traditional 3D programs were a whole universe onto themselves.  No one working in 3D Max, for example, would have thought to go outside that program to do ANYTHING.  And, to broaden our horizons somewhat, the same is true of ANY program more or less.  While you can see or edit the component parts (like an image, or perhaps the individual midi notes) you can't use the proprietary format of ANY program, be it Photoshop, Prosonus, Cinema4D, etc. etc.  Autodesk developed the FBX format and is still "responsible" for it (whatever the heck that means in a non-standard) but there has never been a particular push to develop an industry wide delivery of ALL component parts of an animation.

It's only in relative recent times that folks have started using a wide variety of things to do their work.  That development might lead to more universal pipelines but I wouldn't hold my breath unless some standard clearly rises above all the rest (just too much work with too little payoff to support too many things).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

I use 3DXChange to import the 'props' and 'accessories' I create (using mostly Sketchup, though sometimes Blender). Straight forward 'accessories' (ones that don't need to be split up into parts) can come into CC3 directly from an exported Sketchup .obj. And if it's a 'prop', then again, for choosing select 'parts' I go via 3DXchange. Sometimes I'll import the mesh in sections (one part at a time) so as to prevent the parts being "merged" into one mesh. That way, if I need to swap out (modify) one particular part, it's possible. Not sure if it's the best way to operate, but it seems to work OK. Plus, I've found that the *.obj format* gives me the most consistant results when sending meshes between programs - I've tried many other formats, but always come back to .obj. The "yellow" paths below are my *most trodden* when it comes to accessories and props.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0aa424e1-f4a3-40f8-9a68-2967.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
@sonic: So I assume you have the paid version of Sketchup, because I don't think the free version supports OBJ export.

For props I also have better luck with OBJ, although its one of the oldest formats. Nice diagram, by the way.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Yes, I also think the diagram is very professional.

"Less clicks good, more clicks bad."
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
honesty,  i think it's time to integrate all the products into one package at this point -
They don't have to give up the modular aspect,   they can just sell expansions to 1 software to have more features,  c4d does it that way now..

Firstly so they can fix  "Iclone"  -  not 3 separate programs ,  that need separate file systems and asset libraries,  and needlessly use up resources, plus the man hours to fix each of these resources individually with 3 entirely different results, that are ultimately redundant modules in 3 separate programs. 

then we can go on to what "Iclone" is missing,  because honestly,   i get different results when importing fbx in 3Dx,  Iclone and CC3
I think this will help optimize system performance once and for all.  

They REALLY need to clean up the clutter before we can honestly proceed effectively.

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 30 minutes ago
3dxchange is essential for me because it allows to convert non-human creatures to be able to animate them in Iclone with motion capture.
I think it might be more CC4 with the new feature to import non-biped characters which will make 3dxchange obsolete:
"
Any rigged character can be imported, characterized, optimized in Character Creator, and exported to iClone and other tools for full-body animation (including expressions)
 - not limited to biped characters. Moreover, create 
custom facial expression data for any character to create vivid facial expressions with personality.
The long-awaited wrinkle system will be released for Character Creator 4, but the specific version has yet to be decided."

I was able to make these characters animable effortlessly thanks to 3dxchange:

R Ham
R Ham
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

mtakerkart (8/1/2021)

"Any rigged character can be imported, characterized, optimized in Character Creator, and exported to iClone and other tools for full-body animation (including expressions)
 - not limited to biped characters. Moreover, create custom facial expression data for any character to create vivid facial expressions with personality.

If "custom facial expressions" means "include visemes," I'm ready now. I'm not sure how "and other tools" is meant.

"Less clicks good, more clicks bad."
mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 30 minutes ago
If "custom facial expressions" means "include visemes," 

we will have to wait for more information from the next CC4. I too would like to be able to add more visemes for the French language ...
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
@ Job "I assume you have the paid Sketchup, because I don't think the free version supports OBJ export"
I use SU 2015 which although dated, does at least support .obj export.

@ Planetsdragon - Yes, it sure would be a time saver to be able to import directly into iClone or CC3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

I still have my old version 6.5 of 3DX pipeline on my old PC.
I still partially  work directly with the Daz figures now that Daz has a Powerful
export plugin to Blender(Diffeomorphic) for rigged G8 figures as well as a robust Alembic exporter to Blender & Houdini.
both with full texture conversion.

My next major film project will likely feature a mix of CC3 natives
( for full armored soldiers)
and  the Daz genesis Figures directly
in Blender because I really wish to retain the full quality look of the G8
figures for close up speaking roles with Character not covered with head 
toe armors etc.

Thus 3DX pipeline for retargeting to the Daz G8 figure remains an important
option in my Pipeline.

That said FYI,for those who wish to retarget Mixamo animation
Directly to Daz genesis figures in Blender the free Rokoko
Addon will allowyou to Bypass Iclone & 3D exchange entirely

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Edited
3 Years Ago by AutoDidact

Reading This Topic