Profile Picture

Automatic creation of lots of characters

Posted By 768313 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi,
newbie here Smile I'd need to create tens or even hundreds of characters with different features (body, skin, tattoos, etc), and then record videos of them, where the camera follows fixed trajectories around each character. 
Is it possible to automatize this process, maybe using the python API?
Cheers
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 23 minutes ago
You're saying you only need one character at a time, though, right?  IOW, you have a single character where the camera is set up to surround, and then you want to replace this character with variations each time you run your script?

You can certainly vary the character's text maps with Python, as well as vary the morph weights, but the individual morphs (for body changes) would have to be done in CC3, for example.  So your workflow might be: create all the morphs you might want/need (height/weight/whatever) and export them to iClone for that avatar, create all the different skins you want (including tattoos) inside of CC3, and then in iClone your Python script would run and vary, at random, the morph amounts and textures.  Doing those things is not particularly difficult and would be a good learning process for iClone Python and there are enough folks here to help.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)

Exactly, I need only one character at a time, and the script to replace it with random variations multiple times.
If I understood it well, I might have to manually create all the different skins in CC3 and then export them to iClone, so that I can randomly mix them with different morphs, right?
Would the pipeline be similar also for controlling some features of the skin, like the position of a tattoo? I mean something like: create X textures with tattoos at different locations, Y textures with other skin features (e.g. scars, moles, etc), export them to iClone and them mix them up through a python script?

do you have any link or sample script to suggest?
Thank you very much for the help, Kelleytoons!
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 23 minutes ago
AFAIK there is only one way to handle textures, and that's with the texture call to the channel in question.  So...

avatar_material_component.LoadImageToTexture(mesh_name, material_name,texture_channel,image_file)

You would have to do this for the various meshes of the body parts: the torso, head, back of head, etc.  So what you are creating is just texture files (preferably JPG but you could use PNG as well).

In order to have some versatility in the tattoos and placement you could overlay the images by calling a Pillow routine, but I would not count on a lot of variability in the positioning.  IOW, you could have a set of tattoos that fit on the arms, and have it randomly call one or none, but the placement on the arms would most likely not be all that variable (the mechanics of moving it around the arms and still having it placed where it wouldn't slide off would be WAY above my pay grade.  And, not to be unkind, but if I can't do it, you can't, either).  So the best you might be able to do is to slide it up or down the arm a bit, for example.

I could help you but because this has both VERY little application (it's pretty specialized with no particular way of generalizing it for other uses) as well as little interest to me (just not something I care about) I can't promise how much help I could be.  But I could give you enough code to get started - what you first need to do is become comfortable with the whole Python in iClone process, and there are good tutorials that RL has provided, along with a ton of example code.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

no problems, I didn't mean I would like you to write code for me Smile just if you know any other online resource where to find a better documentation or sample scripts. RL's wiki is quite poor. 
Anyway, what you wrote was already helpful, thanks again.

Reading This Topic