Profile Picture

Importing clothes from Daz with metallic flakes

Posted By BaronChad 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
BaronChad
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi All, I've been working on importing some outfits I like from Daz, but I've run into one that makes a lot of use of Daz's Metallic Flakes property.  Are there any good tips for an easy way to replicate that look in CC?  I tried doing it with the Blend texture, but it didn't really look right.  I do have access to Substance Painter, so I can do that if I need to, but I was hoping for an easier solution inside of CC, or failing that, tips on how to do it inside of Substance.

Thanks!
BaronChad
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
What outfit specifically?

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
BaronChad
BaronChad
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)

The Fire Soul Outfit - https://www.daz3d.com/fire-soul-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

The leather parts look good when I add the bump maps, and the metallic parts I can get looking pretty good as well.  But the parts where it looks like gold is coming through the leather is the part that I can't figure out how to replicate.
Edited
3 Years Ago by BaronChad
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'm not so sure there is any special "gold coming through leather" on that outfit.  With the roughness and metallic maps in place it looks pretty much like it would in Daz, though.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cf8129be-c9d2-4791-9c18-13b6.jpg

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
BaronChad
BaronChad
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

OK, when I first imported it, it looked like the picture you posted Mike. But if you go back to Daz, you can see there's a lot more gold embellishments that didn't come through.  First I tried to fix it inside of CC using the built in Substance editor.  For some reason, I actually got the Top to work that way, but I somehow completely screwed up the boots.  So I decided to go ahead and do the full export to Substance Painter.  Took me a couple hours to figure out what I was doing, I'm still pretty new to Substance Painter, but I finally got it!  Check it out now with all the gold back in
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e24573b7-65ce-45aa-8bae-78b9.png

I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and I can't wait to use it in my current movie.  BTW, if anyone else thinks it would be useful, I'd be happy to make a little tutorial out of this.  I definitely learned a lot.

Thanks,
BaronChad

Reading This Topic