MTL file not recognized by 3dxchange

Posted By red/orange 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
red/orange
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Hi,
I'm using 6.5 Pro.
When I bring an OBJ file into 3dxchange the object is white. I have put both the OBJ file and the MTL file in a folder. Tried using OPEN to bring them in, tried dragging the files in. Materials never included.
Looked at IClone 7 tutorials too, not much on how 3dxchange works, certainly not this issue. Since the conversion of external elements is so crucial, I need an understanding of the steps, which I obviously don't have. 
How the heck do I get the materials into 3dxchange? 
Thanks much!
r

michaelrbarton
michaelrbarton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I had trouble with that too. I still do not know really how to do it. I know God helped me. Here is a link to somebody who helped me. The first video shows the buildings without obj mtl.
The second video shows the obj mtl applied. The screenshot of the explanation from 3D N3D I used and it worked with God's help.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4d488eaf-1801-43ac-8a75-19a1.jpg
red/orange
red/orange
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Thank you for reply!
Still not sure how to do this. It's a model of a street scene and has a lot of parts, none with texture.

Not understanding what is happening with the textures is a HUGE problem. There are a lot of elements I need to bring into iClone.
But as I said, they're coming in stripped of textures making them useless.
Even when I can see a folder with textures included, still not sure how or where to apply them.
Any other tutorial links etc would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you again, I'll see if I can figure out the notepad suggestion- would be great if everything was applied!

Thanks again
red/orange
red/orange
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

BTW- just tried "opening" the obj file in notepad. Doesn't see the file.
Oh man!
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
The problem is that developers create something on their system with a specific path and then forget to normalize it so that it works for others as well.

The only 100% full-proof way as described above is to have to have the OBJ file and the textures in the same location (folder) and then have an MTL file that references those textures. Since there is no path to worry about, this can simply be the file name of the texture.

Unfortunately, even that doesn't always work, and you will have to manually assign textures. For example, the OBJ format, being ancient does not know how to deal with PBR materials.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
red/orange (6/24/2021)
BTW- just tried "opening" the obj file in notepad. Doesn't see the file.
Oh man!

You have select All Files (*.*) at the Open prompt, not just Text Files.
Better yet download and install Notepad++  Better overall and specifically for search and replace.

red/orange
red/orange
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you for all these replies- really appreciate this.
I am increasingly discouraged ! 
3dxchange is absolutely crucial- guessing where to apply a variety of textures, with little if any identifying info...is a nightmare. 
How are you guys doing it? when you pull in a model, white, stripped of textures, how are you able to apply them?
Is there some secret?
If I bring in from cgTrader, turbo squid, 3d warehouse- always hit and miss whether I can ultimately use that file because of this issue.
I've tried applying the texture selecting , for instance, the bump, in 3dxchange, and everything I try goes to diffuse!
Has anyone seen any tutorials that explain this issue and this software?
Thanks again, really appreciate the help!
r

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You should pause there for a moment Smile

First, do not work with materials in 3DX. 3DX uses Traditional sheme. Work with materials in iClone after import.
Second, did you inspect .mtl file? I do not see the point of assigning anything manually if you have a texture set, which comes with the model.

To make it really simple: place all texture files, .OBJ and .MTL into the same folder.
Then *open* .mtl file (see my previous post).
Remove the path to texture files leaving only the texture file name for all materials. As I mentioned, you can do this easy in Notepad++.

This is what .MTL might look like. I highlighted in red what needs to be removed (everything before file name in the path):

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9a2480c0-e833-4508-bb9a-fd01.jpg

After the change it should look like this.
Scroll and go through all materials again making sure you only have a file name there. Save .MTL and import .OBJ to 3DX.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9083812a-52ac-48eb-bed6-db9e.jpg

Then, when you have your texture in place, in iClone you should start tweaking materials. Roughness, Metallic channels mostly to make surfaces to properly reflect lights as they should being PBR.

Edited
3 Years Ago by 4u2ges

Reading This Topic