Profile Picture

CC3+ Can Export UDIM but can't import UDIM??

Posted By landquest 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
landquest
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (106 reputation)Junior Member (106 reputation)Junior Member (106 reputation)Junior Member (106 reputation)Junior Member (106 reputation)Junior Member (106 reputation)Junior Member (106 reputation)Junior Member (106 reputation)Junior Member (106 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I spent ages getting clothing on my avatar in Marvelous Designer, laid it all out nicely on multiple UV's (as per the UDIM workflow), made it look nice in Substance Painter, and then I go to import the clothing as an OBJ into CC3 and the UV's are all messed up. 

Clearly CC3 isn't recognizing the UDIMs I set up in Marvelous designer, its just mashing everything onto one UV map.  How stupid that my only option for working with UDIMs is if I export a character or clothing item native to CC3 to Substance, and then back again... Like wtf?

Why doesn't CC3 have more control over UV maps and UDIMs like literally every other 3D program?  Is this on purpose, to keep us buying their super overpriced "packs" of clothing (much of which just doesn't look as cool as what I can find for MD?)...
vidi
vidi
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
UDIM UV is a new Feature in CC, tha was create extra for the Character , because it was hard to paint over multiple Material IDs in Substance Painter.
There is a Feedback tracker for suggestions. 
If it is for your important to design Cloth with UDIM UV Layout ,you can make a request.

For my purpose I don't need UDIMS for Cloth making and Texturing in Substance Painter, but I would vote as support for you. 

Is this on purpose, to keep us buying their super overpriced "packs" of clothing (much of which just doesn't look as cool as what I can find for MD?)...

What has the cool looking with a UV map to do ?
The Mesh and Texturing is skill Level and not a UDIM Layout UV map thing

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
You can reimport your CC3+ FBX character with UDIM. You will need an FBXKey that is generated when you export in a 3D application preset. Under the "Create" menu, select "Cloth, Hair, Acc (with FBXKey)..." to reimport the FBX character.

Any externally rigged clothing will also import this way. Back in CC2, that is how we imported all clothing.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Rampa
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
But if you just save each tile texture separately from your editing application Then you can load them in the texture squares in CC3. That is probably easier, as you may be editing in OBJ only.
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
taylor.bacic (5/23/2021)
Why doesn't CC3 have more control over UV maps and UDIMs like literally every other 3D program?  Is this on purpose, to keep us buying their super overpriced "packs" of clothing (much of which just doesn't look as cool as what I can find for MD?)...

The reason CC characters are efficient for animation (as opposed to DAZ for example) is that the characters of a particular generation are standardized. It has nothing to do with wanting you to buy expensive packs.

There are plenty of 3rd party developers that develop clothing for CC, but they are willing to put some effort in it. I don't make clothing, but I have been able to convert older G5 clothing for Character Creator. The tools are all there. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic