Profile Picture

Cloth alembic import to unreal

Posted By cutoffsquid98 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
cutoffsquid98
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (392 reputation)Senior Member (392 reputation)Senior Member (392 reputation)Senior Member (392 reputation)Senior Member (392 reputation)Senior Member (392 reputation)Senior Member (392 reputation)Senior Member (392 reputation)Senior Member (392 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I tried using unreal live link but the cloth did not have any simulation meanwhile it has alembic simulation in Iclone. any help?

SioraFede
SioraFede
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (136 reputation)Junior Member (136 reputation)Junior Member (136 reputation)Junior Member (136 reputation)Junior Member (136 reputation)Junior Member (136 reputation)Junior Member (136 reputation)Junior Member (136 reputation)Junior Member (136 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi I am having the same problem. I want to understand if we do the same thing or not so maybe we will be able to solve this together (but you know, we were supposed to be able to do this with iClone 7.9.. anyway)
I export the animated character from Iclone as HDF5 and import it to Marvelous Designer as avatar, then I simulate the clothing and export it as alembic HDF5 as well. I Import the clothes in iClone as accessories and apply the alembic simulation to them. When I press play in iClone everything is perfect, both body and cloth animation.
Then I link everything for Unreal use with live link and auto setup but only the character moves in Unreal, not the clothes which stay in T pose, while in iClone both the character and the clothes moves perfectly.
Do you have this same problem? What's your workflow?
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 38 minutes ago
With so many experts I'm surprised you didn't get an answer.

I'm not an expert, but Alembic is its own thing, so I think you would need to import that separately into Unreal. It is a baked simulation if you will of how the cloth flows for a given animation.

So if the animation changes and is updated via Live Link, you would need to redo the simulation in MD I guess and reexport as Alembic.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Here are no UE4 experts , only amateurs BigGrin

Animagic is right , if you want to render in IClone import the Alembic to IC.
For UE4 render you have to import it from Marvelous Designer to UE4 , it can't be live linked from IClone or Maya. (too much data)

Edited
3 Years Ago by Bassline303

Reading This Topic