Profile Picture

Do avatar created by CC3 already have facial ARkit blendshape and rigged body ?

Posted By Alex_MT 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Do avatar created by CC3 already have facial ARkit blendshape and...

Author
Alex_MT
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi,
I tried to let my avatar have a real-time facial expression and body movement in Unity by third-party apps (i.e., iFacialMocap, Face Cap, and Kinect).
The old avatar is too unrealistic, I want to use the CC3 to create a new one. 
However, I'm new to CC3 and not sure the avatar created by CC3 & Headshot already has facial ARkit blendshape (shapekey) and rigged body?
Or do I need to buy another plugin or iClone to achieve my goal?

Thank you for considering my question
Edited
3 Years Ago by Alex_MT
animagic
This post has been flagged as an answer
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Any newly created CC3+ avatar will be ARkit-ready, but older CC3+ avatars can easily be updated. It must be a CC3+ avatar. CC1 and CC3 must be updated to CC3+ first.

In CC, select Edit Facial form Modify/Motion. Then, from the drop-down select ExPlus. If the Avatar is not compatible, CC will offer to update it. See below.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a235ed8a-1c3f-4299-a5c8-5e32.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Alex_MT
Alex_MT
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thank you for your replySmile
I did not notice that CC3+ avatar will be ARkit-ready. 
My CC3 needs to update!!
c68
c68
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thats good to know and actually works great when exported to Unreal too! Thanks for the explaination animagic!

kevin_831723
kevin_831723
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
This answers the question regarding blendshape compatibility with ARKit, however, what about rig compatibility?

Apple provides details here regarding validating whether a rig is compatible with their setup:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/content_anchors/validating_a_model_for_motion_capture

My understanding is this setup is very rigid... meaning joint names and the parent joint hierarchy must match what Apple has outlined. Can you confirm whether CC3 models are setup to support this?
Edited
3 Years Ago by kevin_831723
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

In iClone, ARKit is only used for facial motion capture. The article talks about body motion capture which is not relevant in this case.

Edited
3 Years Ago by animagic
kevin_831723
kevin_831723
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi animagic! Thank you for the reply!

The original poster had asked whether characters created with CC3 supported ARKit blendshapes (shapekey) AND rigged body... as I understood it, his question has nothing to do with iClone. His goal is "real-time facial expression AND body movement in Unity" using ARKit and characters exported from CC3.

Your previous replies were super helpful in pointing to the added ARKit compatible blendshapes recently introduced to CC3+ models, so I was just following up on the second part of the question related to the rigged body and real-time body movement in Unity with ARKit. To do this, the model must be outfitted with a rig that is compatible with Apple's requirements (thus the link to those requirements in the prior post.)

Do you have any information as-to whether CC3 models can be exported with a rig that is compatible with the requirements indicated in the article? If-not, perhaps someone from Reallusion can speak to whether this is something that they are looking at adding support for in the future as they have with the blendshapes?

Finally, if realtime motion capture in Unity with ARKit is not something that will be supported in the near future with CC3 models, perhaps someone knows of a different 3rd party solution that can be used in Unity on iOS mobile devices to do motion capture and apply said data to CC3 models?

Thanks!
Edited
3 Years Ago by kevin_831723
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Kevin,

The way I read this:

However, I'm new to CC3 and not sure the avatar created by CC3 & Headshot already has facial ARkit blendshape (shapekey) and rigged body?

is that the OP only wanted to know about ARkit compatibility of the blendshapes, referring to "facial ARkit blendshapes". But I guess you can read it the other way as well. Maybe the OP can clarify what he means.

The CC rig has of course its own nomenclature for the bones, which will not be changed. RL has provided mappings for other applications as part of the FBX export and the setup for UE, so that would be a possibility for Apple is well, I guess It would not be feasible to change the rig itself to please Apple as that would break everything else.

I don't use any of this myself, so a definitive answer about how feasible this is (and why it would be important) would have to come from others, including RL (Peter?).

Reading This Topic