Profile Picture

Quality not as good as native

Posted By mikekan13 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
mikekan13
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I am unable to get better quality renders from Iray compared to the native renderer in CC3. What the hell am I doing wrong? I am using 2000 iterations in Iray and it takes a few hours to render. I usually end up with a flat-looking image with less detail and even some shadows with artifacts. What am I doing wrong??? Yes I have tried with and without denoiser as well as with the shadow artifact fixer. https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/13a0d20b-b752-4511-9181-3802.png
FallenNInja
FallenNInja
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Did you set up the scene, lighting etc, based on how iRay behaves or just took a normal CC3 scene and rendered in iRay?

Do you have the render settings in iRay set to high quality?

I think the iRay render looks better. The CC3 looks like a 2009 video game with an instagram filter over it.
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Like Edwin mentions, lighting in Iray works different from iClone and needs to be set up carefully.

One big difference is that IBL in Iray gives shadows, whereas in iClone it provides overall background lighting. This plays particularly when you have an indoor scene. 

In the Iray render, light comes through the window, which is as you would expect.

The size of light sources in Iray determines the sharpness or blurriness of the shadows, so that's something else to play with.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

JohnLiebe
JohnLiebe
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (411 reputation)Senior Member (411 reputation)Senior Member (411 reputation)Senior Member (411 reputation)Senior Member (411 reputation)Senior Member (411 reputation)Senior Member (411 reputation)Senior Member (411 reputation)Senior Member (411 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
One thing I can advise is to delete all your iClone lights.
These are old-school 'gouroud' shading lights and make iRay renders look plastic. The directional and spot light algorithms are more than 30 years old!
Modern lighting uses Global Illumination:
Import an HDR file for the environment and try to light your scene with that alone. (a common mistake here is to import a JPG for the environment, but this does not 'emit' light like an HDR file)
Add GI ovals and rectangles only where needed, but these area lights should give a much better result than the other lights.
Use the AI Noise Reduction and you will only need around 200 iterations.
I think this will give you the photorealism you're looking for.
Here's an example using no lights and 200 iterations. It rendered in under 1 minute on an RTX2060.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8f7e4894-2ba6-48df-abee-cf8b.png
mikekan13
mikekan13
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)

Interesting... So don't use any lights at all? I will give it a try. Thank you. I do however notice a huge difference in the eyes. The base ones just look better. Are the shaders not getting converted correctly?
cinemyscope
cinemyscope
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Anyone using IRay is a Beta tester for an Alpha product.

Reading This Topic