Adding an eGPU

Posted By Europafilms 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Europafilms
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am considering adding an eGPU to my system and want to clarify compatibility of AMD graphics cards for iClone and CC3 before upgrading.   https://www.reallusion.com/iclone/download.html#system-requirements
Can you give a more detailed list of a few AMD graphics cards that will be compatible with iClone and CC3 for regular display renders and iRAY rendering.  From cheaper cards to the most expensive would be a help. Thank you.

Europafilms - Creative Studio
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 16 minutes ago
An AMD GPU is not used for Iray, so that would not do anything for you. iClone/CC will resort to CPU-only rendering. 

See: https://www.reallusion.com/render/iray/trial.html#:~:text=Iray%20Render%20plugin%20will%20run,compute%20capability%203.0%20or%20higher.

I don't use AMD cards, so I let Peter (RL) or somebody elese knowledge answer that. In general though, you are looking for a card with at least 8GB of VRAM.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Europafilms
Europafilms
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)Veteran Member (622 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
thanks for the link it clarifies things a lot @animagic - @ Peter (RL) my challenge is I am running CC3.4 and iClone 7.9 quite successfully on the PC bootcamp drive side of an iMac 2017 with a Radeon Pro 570 4 GB card. So the 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 CPU are doing all the work.
It is quite a rare technical question so I have to think about going full on PC for iRAY performance. Just waiting to see what Apple release for the new 2021 iMac with the M1 chip looks like. Rumours are they will add multi-quad CPU, but so far Apple don´t play well with NVIDIA.

*If money is not really option, some of the best solutions for PC, I have found so far are  here. https://bizon-tech.com/3d-rendering-animation-workstation  at least you can guarantee getting a new NVIDIA GFX card as everywhere is out of stock.

if anyone can add other companies or options for similar PC builds based in Europe to this thread, I would appreciate it. Always good to avoid import tax of 21% +/- 

Europafilms - Creative Studio
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
ZenMuse (4/15/2021)
I am considering adding an eGPU to my system and want to clarify compatibility of AMD graphics cards for iClone and CC3 before upgrading.   https://www.reallusion.com/iclone/download.html#system-requirements
Can you give a more detailed list of a few AMD graphics cards that will be compatible with iClone and CC3 for regular display renders and iRAY rendering.  From cheaper cards to the most expensive would be a help. Thank you.

If you are going to invest in a new PC I would strongly recommend going with an Nvidia RTX card rather than AMD. With new plug-ins like Omniverse (and to get the best performance with Iray rendering) you will need an Nvidia RTX card so going with AMD may limit your options as we move forward.

Regarding getting the latest RTX 3070 and 3080 desktop systems, you may like to look at ebuyer.com. They have RTX 3070 and 3080 system available (at time of writing) so you could pick up a good deal with them.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

@ZenMuse: I currently have an adequate PC, but I wanted to upgrade to a system with an RTX 3900. As Peter mentioned, the only way to get one is to buy a PC with it!

I went with Dell, but since it is a US company that may not be an option for you (unless they have a European division). My first animation PC (20 years ago) was a Dell. Since then I have mostly build my own systems, but with the scarcity of the cards that is not an option.

If the budget allows, I would get a system with an RTX 3900 (24 GB of VRAM) and as much RAM you can afford (I'm getting 128 GB). As to the CPU, any Intel i7 or i9 will do or the equivalent from AMD (I know little about AMD as I use Intel). More cores is always good.

It may be scary to move from a Mac to a PC, but despite horror stories, I have found that Windows 10 has been working well for me. Just makes sure to get the Pro version, which gives you better control over updates, which can be delayed. Most disasters are caused by initial feature updates and it is best to have Windows Home users test those out first.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Job,

Sounds like you and I bought the same PC (I ordered the Alienware 12, from Dell.  It has the 3090, which apparently is a custom built one just to fit the case).  Mine isn't coming until May but we can compare notes after that <g>.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (4/16/2021)
Job,

Sounds like you and I bought the same PC (I ordered the Alienware 12, from Dell.  It has the 3090, which apparently is a custom built one just to fit the case).  Mine isn't coming until May but we can compare notes after that <g>.

Mike, great minds think alike? That's indeed the one and mine is coming in May too. Let's hope there's no delays! 

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
As a very general rule Dell here nearly always delivers sooner than they estimate (I've been buying Dell computers for several decades now).  We live right outside their shipment/fulfillment center for the East coast, and with almost every single computer in the last 15 years I've bought it's come in half the time or less.  However, at the moment I am spending a ton of time backing up my old computer so two or three weeks before the new one gets here would be welcomed.

I also got the Alienware 38" Curved monitor -- my current dual 26" monitors are even older than my Alienware computer (which is around four years old).  I felt it was time to finally upgrade.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
0oseven
0oseven
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'm looking at upgrading PC and from this topic I now understand AMD graphics not best choice for Iclone7 and CC3 ??.Probably not using Iray as understand too slow rendering for animations. 
Looking at Nvidea I see this. My question  -  Is it better to have more memory [12gb] or more cuda cores [4864] as seen in this table. There is a trade off between cards.
RTX 3060 TiRTX 3060
NVIDIA CUDA Cores48643584
Boost Clock (GHz)1.671.78
Memory Size8 GB12 GB
Memory TypeGDDR6GDDR6

Edited
3 Years Ago by 0oseven
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

For further discussion about GPUs, refer to this related thread: https://forum.reallusion.com/480440/RTX-3060-w12GB-VRAM-or-30703080-w10GB.

Reading This Topic