Anyone Want a Challenge?

Posted By jessicalcrichton 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Rampa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Of course I must confess that my chain is actually exactly the same method as the wallet chain! Just broken down into an efficient way to build it! Wink

Because it is actually just using the constraints to be "chain-like", the actual physics collision is not terribly important for its functioning. But external physics objects will push on it and make it deform properly. The constraint on the top link can target your lift vehicle. But you need to set the lift vehicle to have physics to target it. Set it to "Kinematic" (like I did with the top chain link) so you can animate it.

The physics floor can be found in the "Create>Physics" menu.

jessicalcrichton
jessicalcrichton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Okay, I got really far, but the top link's constraint won't accept the bottom of the blades as a target. Here's a screenshot:

So you can see the block above it is the part I want to connect the constraint to, but when I try it doesn't do anything, and stays on "world". I'm going to keep trying things...
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
Activate Physics for blade first and make it kinematic (if the blade would be animated to drag something through the chain).
Then pick it as P2P target.

Edited
3 Years Ago by 4u2ges
jessicalcrichton
jessicalcrichton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)Veteran Member (891 reputation)

Okay, I figured that one out. Aaaaand, it WORKS! Here's the little video I promised. I still have to make the chain and such look prettier, but that'll be easy. And of course I need to smooth the animation which I'll also do soon. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! You've helped me so much. <3

jessicalcrichton
jessicalcrichton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Here is the final look I'm going for. One with no background and the other with the clouds that will be in the final video.

One more issue I've run into, though, is that I can't attach the spiderbot to the character because there is no option to attach for him, and the spiderbot is already attached from the top top the chain. I tried link, but he fell off almost immediately. Any idea how to do that?

Thank you all again. You've been AMAZING!
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e7ad1249-cb29-428a-9623-ff75.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/01d19d7f-a636-46e3-9e45-dd02.png
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 33 minutes ago
jessicalcrichton (4/12/2021)
Okay, I figured that one out. Aaaaand, it WORKS! Here's the little video I promised. I still have to make the chain and such look prettier, but that'll be easy. And of course I need to smooth the animation which I'll also do soon. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! You've helped me so much. <3

You need to set your video to Unlisted to make it visible to others with the link. It look like you have to set to Private.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

jessicalcrichton
jessicalcrichton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I did because I don’t want everyone to see it, since it’s unfinished and I’m debuting the video when it’s fully finished. I didn’t think about unlisted. LoL I’ll do that.
jessicalcrichton
jessicalcrichton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Welp, it was great... up until I linked the character.

At first, I linked him to the spiderbot, and this happened (both videos are by-frame):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjUD7LBEPxY

So I thought maybe if I linked the chain to the character directly, it would be better, so I linked him to the chain via a long box on his back (so the chain wouldn't be too short), then attached the spiderbot to him. This happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yRotUpciVo

Sooo... what am I doing horribly wrong? Eep! I've thought about animating the two parallel to each-other in order to give the illusion that they're attached, but that will be a lot of work. I'm willing, but before I try, is there a better way?
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
yeah,  math!   -   I'll let them help on the physics some more because they've got great knowledge of the software and this is an opportunity to go deeper in understanding the science behind the physics.    After that I'll teach you how to cheat! w00t    #yolo

Edited
3 Years Ago by planetstardragon
jessicalcrichton
jessicalcrichton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

LOL! Thanks! I look forward to it!

I figured out, by leaving the character behind so I could see better, that the issue may be that the spiderbot isn't stable and straight. That makes sense with true physics -- that would be the case in reality too with a loose chain -- but I need to make him stable for this. In other words, I need to make this unrealistically loose-chainy but also straight. LOL Ahhh animation!

Here's what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwBr-mR2rjA

Reading This Topic