Profile Picture

Black Character Hair (Daz to CC3+ to iClone 7) - What settings to use?

Posted By lightbearer 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Black Character Hair (Daz to CC3+ to iClone 7) - What settings to use?...

Author
lightbearer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I have attached a render with three images placed side by side; one from Daz, one from iClone with High quality enabled and one with Quick Mode / Preview enabled. The issue I'm having is that in CC3+ / iClone 7, I am unable to get the correct settings to make the hair look similar to the Daz Studio render. (I know the lighting is different. I am referring to the hair texture.) The hair in Quick Mode | Preview looks somewhat accurate, but the High quality mode makes the hair appear like coiled magnetic tape from a cassette. The character is the G8M Kingston character with G8M Leroy beard, and the hair is Short Afro Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 | Daz 3D. Any suggestions?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9b8abc4a-58d6-4e09-9edb-a375.jpg

Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Without looking I'm going to guess that hair is fibermesh and if it is there's no way you can get it to look the same inside of Reallusion products.

You need poly hair.  I've yet to see any afro style hair done with polys - I'm guessing it's *possible* but so very difficult no one has yet done so.  The good news is that RL has stated they are working on some African-American hairstyles, so I suspect you'll just need to be patient (if I had a gun to my head I'd say before the end of summer but who really knows?)

Edit: Yep, by looking I found it is indeed fibermesh. Do NOT use fibermesh hair inside of RL products.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
lightbearer
lightbearer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)Veteran Member (689 reputation)

I appreciate you taking the time to investigate. Thank you for your response.
greglh
greglh
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (587 reputation)Veteran Member (587 reputation)Veteran Member (587 reputation)Veteran Member (587 reputation)Veteran Member (587 reputation)Veteran Member (587 reputation)Veteran Member (587 reputation)Veteran Member (587 reputation)Veteran Member (587 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I've been pressing this issue since iClone 5 as well as their first Character Creator Hair Bundles. 
The problem with them claiming they are working on it is every time I see them come out with a Hair Tool it is always straight hair. 

I'd like to see an African American Hair tool or bundle and after waiting 3-4 versions they can't come up with something cheap. 
It has to be customizable so character creation can be as varied as those with straight hair. 
Afros (crew, short, medium, long), Dreds, Cornrows and that includes patterned cornrows, twist, braids, natural hair, flat iron curls, short waves, wrapped styles of (braids, twist or cornrows) etc...
This includes making the hair where roots of cornrows, braids, and twists that look realistic.
So one style of cornrow is not going to do it, because not all cornrows go just from the front to the back.  Some start on the outside and meet in the back at the top where there is either a wrap or a bun there.
We need more for men as well.  Dreds that can be styled and of varied length. Same with cornrows.  We still have the fades thing going on too.  Flat top afros, etc...  The styled cuts and patterns too.
They've spent plenty of time developing hair and I think it is time they do the same in this case.

A simple google search and clicking on images will show the variety that is missing from Character Creator. 
african american women hairstyles
or
african american men hairstyles

Considering all they have done with iClone, Character Creator, CrazyTalk, Cartoon Animator...  I'm sure it is possible if they put time and resources to it to get it done like anything else.
Even Cartoon Animator, which is similar to create our hairstyles, is missing a lot as well. 

I really could use this for 2 massive projects I want to prototype that could use the flexibility of Character Creator.
But right now it is too limited for what I want to do and yes... because of the hair issue.

And yes you are correct about the coiled tape look. 
It gets unrealistically shiny among other things. 

I hope this  "working on it"  is delivered soon.  
Get some advice from various sources about how it looks and the ability they build it to allow the end user to easily style it.
And market it well so we can all see it. 
But it can't be that shiny stuff I've seen some in the marketplace. 
I want the same quality as the hair builder tools they have that doesn't do our hair that they continue to put time in to make more options for while we wait for something for our hair styles.
lightbearer
lightbearer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

It's frustrating to say the least.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I am not sure about the hair you have, but with one of my particle hair it is quite possible to get an acceptable results rendering in CC.
It mostly suits for an artistic type still renders because animating with almost 2M polygons for the hair in iClone is quite difficult.
Lights setup is critical and most importantly hair shader should be DHH with specular parameters tweaked accordingly.
Render must be with SS 3x3
(no post processing here - straight out of CC)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4785a0a3-a13a-499a-957e-5910.jpg

Here is DHH specular parameters for the hair above:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/417d1695-b8cd-4b78-928d-5fee.jpg

Updated with test animation - Iray and Real-time.
Both suffer from fuzzy flickering from the back light, though Iray looks a bit more distinct.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
lightbearer
lightbearer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

4u2ges (10/14/2022)
I am not sure about the hair you have, but with one of my particle hair it is quite possible to get an acceptable results rendering in CC.

Nice render. Regarding Black hair, you've shown one style - and again it looks good in the render.

I think the frustration is a lack of official Reallusion content in the Marketplace/Store. The hair products, including Hair Building, and Beard & Brow lack diversity in the styles and texture of hair. 

With other DCC tools, one can build their own and import into Character Creator and/or iClone, but my feeling is that a more diverse perspective would be nice.

jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I agree with Lightbearer. It's a big universe. There is room for everyone.

- Jeff
The Adventures of Capt Sanchez
Cybernautic Studios

Reading This Topic