Want to confirm a bug for me?

Posted By Kelleytoons 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
So if you take some hair (it might also work with clothing but I'm working on hair right now) that is super dense (let's say 100K or more) and poly reduce it and THEN consolidate textures it will crash CC3.4.  Always.

To do this you might need some Daz hair to test, because most supplied hair either isn't dense enough or doesn't have multiple textures (I'm consolidating all like textures -- so a texture that uses the exact same maps needs to be consolidated with the built-in tool to do so).  Anyone with Transformer and some Daz hair can probably test (most Daz hair needs poly reduction and most has multiple textures that need consolidating).

As a bonus, when you bring back up CC (after the crash) no matter what you did previously it will NOT ask to restore (restore is mostly broken in this version - I've only had it ask to restore once, and even then it couldn't do it and crashed again).

I'll report this but I wanted to be sure it's not just my system.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
Mike,
Ok I used Shavonne hair which started at 212k, reduced it to 100k, then consolidated the textures, using that little trident-looking icon in Modify>Textures. Took the like 6 textures down to just scalp and hair, and It didn't crash on me. Is that what you meant by consolidate or were you using some other command? Or reduciing it more? 

Nicole

Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

I've just been using the "Recommended Settings" (which reduce polys comes up with).  And reducing the entire hair, not element.

But I'll try it with that hair and see what happens for me.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Okay, here's what happened to me.

I brought Shavonne hair in via Transformer (using 3.4 latest) on a Gen 3 female.  I brought it in as an accessory (note you need to do this or it won't be weighted properly.  You bring in all long hair this way and then convert to hair in order for it to weight correctly).  As an accessory, still, I used Poly reduction (first selection, whole thing) and just used the recommended settings.  Then I immediately went to material and selected strands2 and strands3 (they use the same maps) and consolidated them to strands2, at which point CC crashed without even finishing.

This happens consistently on ANY hair I use this method on.  I can work around it -- if I save the hair after poly reduction and reload it it works.  But if you're saying you don't crash then there's something odd going on as my machine is stable otherwise. (Maybe our GPUs?  I'm using a Titan but NOT the latest drivers, as I don't believe in fixing what isn't broken. Unless, of course, it is :>Wink.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Ok, so I tried it on Shavonne hair with poly reduce object and "recommended settings" then consolidated materials in the textures tab and no crash. I tried it with baking textures then reducing and no crash. 

And, lastly, I tried it on the Sleek Pony you helped me get in when I first started, (starts at 240k) with recommended settings, and no crash. We may still be using a slightly different workflow but I'm shocked that my worn out 1070 doesn't crash when your system does....

Nicole

3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I don't use the latest driver, but it's probably updated within the last six months, and it's the Studio version. The only difference might be that I used it on hair I'd brought in before the update (I always keep an original version).

I'll try bringing Shavonne in again, because maybe it's the transformer function and not poly reduce at all.

Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Try bringing it in as an accessory (you'll find it weights MUCH better -- thanks to Mr. G who helped me with this).

After you bring it in as an accessory you can convert it to hair and it will be weighted properly.  But first do the poly reduce and consolidate if you will just to test.

I'm finding out with a lot of these Daz hairs that reducing the textures isn't a good idea even if they use the same maps (most likely they have different UVs).  And it's a royal PITA to deal with the new hair shader on more than a few textures, so I'm less inclined to use those with dozens.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I had a great theory that didn't work out at all which had to do with + version, but I brought Shavonne in on G3F twice, once as Transformer CC3 and once as CC3+, did the recommended reduce poly on it as an accessory and merged strand2 and 3, and no crash either way. 

Here's my driver info--maybe it'll help?
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1caa5f57-e088-45ab-9b7f-8797.png

And I didn't know that about how to bring in long hair--that explains soooo much! Thank you!

Nicole

3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

One thought, are you deleting the "invisible" version after poly reduction but before you change any maps? I do that first.

Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Okay, now the master becomes the student -- what "invisible version" are you talking about?  After I do poly I just exit the dialog and continue.  Is there something I don't know about?  (Quite possible -- one thing that's for sure: Reallusion Programs are INCREDIBLY deep.  My hat's off to anyone who really knows all there is to know about them).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic