Profile Picture

Displacement Masking on SkinGen Premium for scales, deep scars/tears, circuits, pores etc

Posted By Ascensi 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Displacement Masking on SkinGen Premium for scales, deep scars/tears,...

Author
Ascensi
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Updating this thread: Using SkinGen Premium, Displacement with masking can work if integrated right now. 
The reason why cracks happen is because the pixels where the cracks happened aren't the same tone in the displacement map which in turn instructs the vertices to go in different directions too far. SkinGen isn't creating proper normal maps and therefore wont make proper displacement maps. To test this you can download the program called Normalizer to take any SkinGen created normal map to convert to a displacement map and apply it to a plane. I can take any regular non layered tileable normal map and add it to the displacement channel and add a 1.0 softness and it shouldn't break seams.. if it does then each material multiplier can be adjusted to compensate and it should be seamless. I mirrored the normal map created with SkinGen and used it in the displacement channel to match the pixel tone on the left and right edge and fixed seams as I demonstrate here:

Reallusion it seems didn't mathematically use pixel axis shifting for blending normals, instead they just layered normals on top of each other. This is likely the main reason why Reallusion at this time wasn't able to provide customers displacement mapping & blending.  
Global tiled material should be available as well as displacement option with template for masking out for thin areas that would otherwise cause vertex overlap when displaced. With Global tiled displacement,  different projection options could be available such as UV, spherical & cube-mapping etc.
 to do things like scales. I had to mask out the nostrils, ears, lips, area around the eyes etc so the verts didn't push through each other. The other kind of useful displacement assignment would be local and the edges simply fade out. 

I know of another method using tools that CC3 has and additionally needs with low dev investment that can ensure UVs don't crack but I'm asking Reallusion for beta access as a CCD member and an Elite customer/member that has an invested interest and also because I'm here to prove that displacement can work on an entire body without seams.

SkinGen Premium should additionally allow up to 8k for use in film (option enabled for high end video cards) I've also included a video clip of this same character rotated in CC3 to show there are no seams. 

If 
users want to help ensure this to happen please vote here:
 https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/Missing-Corresponding-Displacement-maps-of-scars-tendons-wrinkles-pores-burns-etc-Unsatisfied-Purchase

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/30e42589-952e-45db-bbd6-6f4a.jpg
Displacement can work on soft cloth characters with little or no tessellation required.

If you like this idea you can additional vote for it here https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/Request-to-allow-Softbody-Physics-on-character-s-skin-influenced-areas-are-to-determined-by-weight-map-painting

Store Page Link 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/906a14b0-c792-4382-99ee-7dfe.jpg
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

Edited
3 Years Ago by Ascensi
Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

I've recently been publishing a few photos of my CC3 Bear Character which uses a mix of different displacement techniques. The fur for example is for the entire body but some thin areas like nails, ears etc are masked out. I did that masking in photoshop. Reallusion could make additional options to automatically adjust a color texture with painted fur into real displacement for all kinds of creatures and I'd be willing to have a live discussion to discus how this can work. It really helps to bring out the realism. I have compression set to max using 4k textures that are comparable to 8K from a little AI help.
Here are a few examples: May be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of 1 person and natureMay be an image of outdoors

Store Page Link 
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Another example of Displacement seams/cracks being removed to produce more realistic results. I copied the normal map to the displacement channel then made it symmetric in photoshop. As long as the pixels are the same tone on the left and right side of the texture it wont create an abrupt change that would normally cause tearing. To fix cracks between UVs you can adjust the multiplier between each of the materials or toggle on smooth mesh by subdivision. You can now see pores, wrinkles and better shadows. 

Here is another example I created with no seams/cracks, details/shadows pop out realistically.  With Reallusion's existing functions SkinGen would be able to create displacement but would ideally require using smooth mesh by subdivision with UV smoothing option rather than simply dragging & dropping maps into layers.. also in skingen Reallusion may be simply layering normal maps which would cause artifacts if it doesn't have axis pixel shifting. Here is a solution really might want to integrate or aquire https://beta.friendlyshade.com/normalizer   "Normalizer combines normal maps mathematically correct by converting all pixels to vectors before any operation."
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6102ace1-20f7-430c-9e10-1805.jpg

Store Page Link 

Edited
3 Years Ago by Ascensi
mikekan13
mikekan13
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)Junior Member (108 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Um... Why does no one else care? This is huge for realism.

Reading This Topic