Rigged Max character

Posted By peteradam6 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
qdai (4/28/2010)
../.. I was under the impression that in order to create a Non-Standard Character that could use the Standard Motions supplied with iClone, you must use the RL bones? ../..

Indeed, you are right. I was thinking about 'Non-Human Characters' actualy ( whose can be human nonetheless Wink )

I'm not interrested in non-standard character. Either standard to benefit of all the standard features, or non-humain to have no limitation.

Cheers,
Guy.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Non standard characters have little interest to me I need lipsync....
I would like to see clonebone been able to be applied to a Tpose mesh simple !Smile

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
grabiller (4/28/2010)
qdai (4/28/2010)
../.. Now, this Non-Standard Character would not be able to exchange body parts with iClone's native Standard characters. But, if you are designing a completely custom character you won't expect it to have the same vertex/poly count and placement, numbering, etc. as iClone's standard characters.

I think this is where you are wrong. Designing your complete custom character does not mean it cannot become a 'Standard Character' usable as such in iClone. You just have to respect the connection sets ( and the RL bones of course ), not the all global vertex/polygon count, numbering or ordering.

Take a look at the Old Tribeman. This is a good exemple.

Cheers,
Guy.

The Tribeman is not a completely custom character mesh. The tribeman is an iClone Standard Character Template Mesh that was exported to Zbrush, sculped and textured http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKKfyFea-XY, then reimported.

Then I'm guessing, mapping (normal mapping I assume) was used to project the detail, sculpted in zbrush onto the altered (zbrush sculpted by pushing points) Standard iClone Character Mesh. I say this because iClone was not designed to support the high poly sculps that come out of zbrush, it is a real time product.

The point is that pulling and pushing of points does not change the vertex/poly count and seam placement, numbering, etc. of the iClone Standard Character Template. This is why the Tribeman can exchange body parts with native iClone Characters. He is one. His poly count, seams, vertex numbering have not changed.

I am concerned with using custom meshes built from scratch not altering an iClone Standard Character Template Mesh.
Edited
14 Years Ago by qdai
qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

bluemidget666 (4/28/2010)
Non standard characters have little interest to me I need lipsync....
I would like to see clonebone been able to be applied to a Tpose mesh simple !Smile

Which is why it should be possible for people to use their own totally custom built-from-scratch meshes with all the features of iClone, including facial and lip syn animation. As it stands now, you can ONLY use iClone's head mesh if you want to use facial animation in iClone. AFAIK, you can not use your built-from-scratch head meshes with iClone's facial animation or lip sync.

qdai (4/28/2010)
This Non-Standard Character would also not be able to use the facial animation and lip sync features of iClone. I believe that iClone uses bone animation for facial (puppeteer) and lip sync animation; but, I am not sure. If this is true, it should be possible for them to provide their customers with the RL face rig. Then, in theory, it should be a matter of rigging your "CUSTOM" face the proper way (ie. eyebrow bones skinned to the eyebrow area of your custom mesh, jaw to jaw, etc.). If it works for the body it should work for the face? But I am guessing, I am not as familiar with facial bone rigs as I am with using morph targets for facial animation.

If they use morph targets, there should be a way to map the vertices of your custom mesh to a mask-like control rig, yes?
Edited
14 Years Ago by qdai
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hey qdai,

It seems you are so sure that "it's not possible" that you have decided that "it's not possible".

Well, despite what you think, it's possible. Now, if you don't want to listen, I have no problem with it, you will just miss the opportunity to do what you want because you just believe so hardly that it is simply not possible.

Again, polycount/order/indexes have nothing to do with the fact that a mesh can be 'adopted' by iClone as a 'Standard Character'. ( Take a look at the Firefighter for instance ).

What is important, is the RL bone structure and the connection sets.

Aside from that, and again, we still have to solve the FBX problem.

But with a proper generated FBX file, any 'custom', 'own', 'personal' character can be made and recognized as a 'Standard Character'.

I guess the only way for you to 'believe' that is to show you an exemple.

Right. Let me solve the FBX problem first Wink

Cheers,
Guy.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Edited
14 Years Ago by grabiller
qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

grabiller (4/28/2010)
Hey qdai,

It seems you are so sure that "it's not possible" that you have decided that "it's not possible".

Well, despite what you think, it's possible. Now, if you don't want to listen, I have no problem with it, you will just miss the opportunity to do what you want because you just believe so hardly that it is simply not possible.

Ok, I went back and did some more in-depth research. In one respect you are right. It is possible to model a character (minus the head) from scratch and have it work with the native iClone exchangeable body parts. See the article, Reallusion Developer Series Creating and Exporting Characters, for iClone provided in the hyperlink below by Peter Edwards:

Peter Edwards (4/15/2010)
...To be a Standard iClone character an avatar must meet certain requirements.

They must be rigged with the RL Bone system (not Biped or MAx Bones). They also must have a defined Upper, Lower, Shoes, Face, Hair structure and correctly setup connection points between these parts. You might like to take a look at an older whitepaper that discusses all these requirements. You can find it HERE.

However, there is a caveat. Unless you use iClone's Standard Character Head Mesh, the character you create will not be a Standard iClone character. And it will not be able to use iClone's facial and lip sync animation. If you go to the link above, and pull up the pdf of the article and scroll to pages 5, 6 and 10, it clearly states that the head/Face is the only body part that can not be "explicitly modeled"...you must use the Standard iClone head mesh.

grabiller (4/28/2010)
Again, polycount/order/indexes have nothing to do with the fact that a mesh can be 'adopted' by iClone as a 'Standard Character'. ( Take a look at the Firefighter for instance ).

What is important, is the RL bone structure and the connection sets.

If you go to pages 12-14+ of the article, it explains that, "There must be a specific number of vertices and edges that make up the border between any two body parts." Poly count and vertices do matter, at least at the seams.

grabiller (4/28/2010)
Aside from that, and again, we still have to solve the FBX problem.

But with a proper generated FBX file, any 'custom', 'own', 'personal' character can be made and recognized as a 'Standard Character'.

I guess the only way for you to 'believe' that is to show you an exemple.

Right. Let me solve the FBX problem first Wink

Cheers,
Guy.

I doubt the fbx file is the problem. The mesh itself, if it is totally custom, must follow certain poly/vertex rules, especially at the seams, to create a Standard character. And, if I understand the article correctly, if you don't use iClone's head mesh, your character will not be a Standard iClone character capable of using the facial and lip sync animation features of iClone.
Edited
14 Years Ago by qdai
W.VEEKE
W.VEEKE
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)

Qdai,

you are totally right. The fbx is not a problem at all. Reallusion made a very complex head and face mesh to make it possible to let the standard character talk. De polycount from the facemesh can not be changed(iclone software checks this by loading the facemesh), you only can reshape it.

There is only one trick i know to go arround this fact and yes you can use your own face mesh by tricking the iclone software. (see some of my previous videos)

Wil Veeke-Reallusion Certified Content Developer

Member of:

The Content Wizards!

W.VEEKE
W.VEEKE
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)

And as i said i you can make totally different standard characters by tricking the iclone exporter. But you can not do this with the FBX file. The provided fbx files have head and faces wich match exactly the Iclone needs and format. You are not be able(and ir eally mean it is inpossible) to make a new standard character with a different head then with the RL headbone, cavity and mesh. There are tricks to do it but not with the fbx exporter.

Wil Veeke-Reallusion Certified Content Developer

Member of:

The Content Wizards!

qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

W.VEEKE (4/28/2010)
There is only one trick i knowto go arround thisfact and yes you canuse your own face mesh by tricking the iclone software. (see some of my previous videos)

I'd love to! Where?
qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

W.VEEKE (4/28/2010)
And as i said i you canmake totally different standard characters by tricking the iclone exporter. But you can not do this with the FBX file. The provided fbx files have head and faces wich match exactly the Iclone needs and format. You are not be able(and ir eally mean it is inpossible)to make a new standard character with a different head then with the RL headbone, cavityand mesh. There are tricks to do it but not with the fbx exporter.

So, you must use the Developer iClone 3ds Max plugin instead of 3dXchange?

Reading This Topic