Rigged Max character

Posted By peteradam6 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
My guess is that RL would like it if it's customers could one day make shorts and full length films that could be entered in festivals... and not always be relegated to only pre-vis quality. This will not happen with the cookie cutter proprietary approach they seem to take now.

This is a shame because, at the moment, ONLY iClone (with it's low resolution 3d models, rt renders, particles/effects, and included animation clips) offers the 3D novice the ability to as quickly and inexpensively tell a story. In this respect, iClone is magical.

But, characters are key to telling a good visual story. Characters will be the thing storytellers will most want to personalize. Movie making is about storytelling and storytelling is about characters. Unique, individual, one-of-a-kind characters! The sooner iClone discovers this and empowers it's customers with the tools to EASILY utilize all the wonderful features (motions and facial animation) of iClone with their OWN, PERSONAL, CUSTOM characters, the sooner iClone will devour market share!
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
qdai (4/28/2010)
../.. The sooner iClone discovers this and empowers it's customers with the tools to EASILY utilize all the wonderful features (motions and facial animation) of iClone with their OWN, PERSONAL, CUSTOM characters, the sooner iClone will devour market share!

Hey,

you are not very fair with Reallusion because you can already create your own completly customized characters ( including standards ) granted you use Max or Maya and the Reallusion plugins !

Yet the fact they released 3DXchange shows the intent to open even more this possibility to other softwares.

Don't worry, I think they are smart enough to have discovered this a long time ago Wink

Cheers,
Guy.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Edited
14 Years Ago by grabiller
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

qdai (4/28/2010)
But, if you could live with a Non-Standard Character...you could import the iClone Standard Character Template in fbx format (included with the Character Designer's Resource Pack bundled with 3DXchange 4 Pro) into XSI, keeping the rig (RL bones) and replacing the mesh with your custom mesh, and skinning then mesh to the RL bones, then exporting the new Non-Standard Character in fbx format, and finally importing this file into 3dXchange to convert to vns format???????? Right?

Sure, albeit in this case I won't need RL bones, I would use XSI bones wich I'm more familiar with.

qdai (4/28/2010)
../.. Now, this Non-Standard Character would not be able to exchange body parts with iClone's native Standard characters. But, if you are designing a completely custom character you won't expect it to have the same vertex/poly count and placement, numbering, etc. as iClone's standard characters.

I think this is where you are wrong. Designing your complete custom character does not mean it cannot become a 'Standard Character' usable as such in iClone. You just have to respect the connection sets ( and the RL bones of course ), not the all global vertex/polygon count, numbering or ordering.

Take a look at the Old Tribeman. This is a good exemple.

Cheers,
Guy.

--

bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
you are not very fair with Reallusion because you can already create your own completly customized characters ( including standards ) granted you use Max or Maya and the Reallusion plugins !

This is the problem ... Iclone pro is $200 ish $150 3Dexchange 3Dmax $3000 who makes that purchase ? It makes no sensenser for that pipeline to be the only way of getting standard characters into Iclone.

Im not having a go at RL but we need a realistic way of doing this ....Smile

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

bluemidget666 (4/28/2010)
This is the problem ... Iclone pro is $200 ish $150 3Dexchange 3Dmax $3000 who makes that purchase ? ../..

Content developers are supposed to Wink

But I understand your point. Aside from Evolver, I think we have all the tools now with 3DXchange4 to be able to create customized standard characters from FBX.

We just have to solve this 'little' FBX problem..

But, tell me, for those who wont or cant invest in softwares such as Max, Maya, etc.. With wich 3d application in the same price range as iClone are they supposed to create customized content ?

Blender ? What else ?

Cheers,
Guy.

--

qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

grabiller (4/28/2010)
qdai (4/28/2010)
../.. The sooner iClone discovers this and empowers it's customers with the tools to EASILY utilize all the wonderful features (motions and facial animation) of iClone with their OWN, PERSONAL, CUSTOM characters, the sooner iClone will devour market share!

Hey,

Yet the fact they released 3DXchange shows the intent to open even more this possibility to other softwares.

Don't worry, I think they are smart enough to have discovered this a long time ago Wink

Cheers,
Guy.

I am being completely fair. I said, and emphasized (just to make the point!) "EASILY utilize all the wonderful features (motions and facial animation) of iClone with their OWN, PERSONAL, CUSTOM characters". Explain to me how you "EASILY" use your own custom face mesh with iClone's facial animation features (Puppeteer and lipsync)?
Edited
14 Years Ago by qdai
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Quidam 3, Blender, TrueSpace, Poser or daz ( I think there is a poly reduction plugin ) ..errrr Im sure there is more Smile .....

Would it be possible that one day we could do it in Iclone itself ?

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
Edited
14 Years Ago by bluemidget666
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

qdai (4/28/2010)
I am being completely fair. I said, and emphasized (just to make the point!) "EASILY utilize all the wonderful features (motions and facial animation) of iClone with their OWN, PERSONAL, CUSTOM characters". Explain to me how you "EASILY" use your own custom face mesh with iClone's facial animation features (Puppeteer and lipsync)?

Well,

it first depends on what you mean by 'easy', because I guess the 'easiness' of the operation depend on the technical knowledge of the user.

For those who have access to Max/Maya and the Reallusion pluggins, it seems to be very easy to create their 'own', 'personal', 'custom' standard characters ( I not talking about the modeling/texturing/rigging/skinning part Wink but the export part ).

For those who don't, there is the FBX issue that has to be solved. But we are not far from it. I'm sure during the next months a solution will be found.

Which 3d application are you using, btw ?

Cheers,
Guy.

--

Edited
14 Years Ago by grabiller
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

bluemidget666 (4/28/2010)
../.. Would it be possible that one day we could do it in Iclone itself ?

You mean for iClone to become a non-free Blender ?

Sorry, couldn't resist Wink

Cheers,
Guy.

--

qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

grabiller (4/28/2010)
qdai (4/28/2010)
But, if you could live with a Non-Standard Character...you could import the iClone Standard Character Template in fbx format (included with the Character Designer's Resource Pack bundled with 3DXchange 4 Pro) into XSI, keeping the rig (RL bones) and replacing the mesh with your custom mesh, and skinning then mesh to the RL bones, then exporting the new Non-Standard Character in fbx format, and finally importing this file into 3dXchange to convert to vns format???????? Right?

Sure, albeit in this case I won't need RL bones, I would use XSI bones wich I'm more familiar with.

I was under the impression that in order to create a Non-Standard Character that could use the Standard Motions supplied with iClone, you must use the RL bones?

Peter Edwards (4/15/2010)
Hi Peter,

The different types of avatar can be confusing but basically you will be working with three types of human avatars in iClone4. There are:

Standard Avatar - Can use standard motion files and has interchangable body parts.

Non-Standard Avatar - Can use standard motion files but NO interchangable body parts.

Non-Human Character - Uses Pre-Defined animations or the Edit Motion Layer controls to animate.

I also assume that the 3ds Max and 3DXchange 4 Pro bundled with the Character Designer's Resource Pack allows you to get around the limitation described below.

Peter Edwards (4/15/2010)
When you use the "Convert To Character" option in 3DXchange4 you are creating a Non-Human Character. If the avatar was exported from 3DS Max with animations then these will belisted in 3DXchange4 in the Modify Panel - Animations. You can play them in 3DXchange and rename them if you wish. These animation will then be available using the Perform functions when exported to iClone4.

Reading This Topic